Mermen Tree Proposal

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pip8184

Post by pip8184 »

I'm sorry if I offended you, but hey, I was saying what I saw.
Also, I found out why the tail has that "cloth" feeling when you glance at its animation, it's be cause the cane of the trident broke the animation into 2 parts, so it gave an illusion that the tail is somewhat like a scarf flying in the wind (hell, sorry again). Also, what are those white dots? for water effects? I think I'd just leave the water alone... the dots look weird :(
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Ooh wobble wobble wobble... are you now gonna make all units walk =) ?
pip8184

Post by pip8184 »

I wouldn't mind seeing horses galloping and men running... really they'd give the game a better rating :D
sanna

Post by sanna »

You're definitely getting there, the last version was way better than the first.

If only the graphics artists are up to it, animations for movement would be NICE!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The dots are the result of dithering, as the images get converted from 32-bit png-space into 8-big gif-space. This is only for the preview for you guys, which won't make it into the game.

The final pngs will have none of that - you can see the still framesheet for an impression of what they will look like.

As regards other units walking - hey, it would be nice... I'm going to pick and choose my battles though. I can easily adapt this to the naga, but I doubt that I will make any others - especially not horses.

I may exit this mortal plane with ever having drawn a horse, and will feel none the worse for it. maybe. I could be totally wrong, cuz I didn't sleep tonight b/c I was working on this.

bleagh.

Anyways, one of the side effects of this is that we technically do not have to use the existing frame for our base frame. We could use #2 in this sheet. (existing is #1). Or maybe a different one.

I added the shadows back in. And I am, btw, done. I'm sick of this thing, and only a fool would try to challenge it and make it better.

---
Neo/Sangel - your assignment is to make nice, purty looking unit graphics for the units in sangel's tree. Also, you guys decide which base frame to use, I have voted for either #1 or #2.

I can do the dirty work of slapping these tails onto them in animations.
(:cry: teh pain is coming), IF dave supports them. Because it would be a massive injection of awesomeosity into the graphics of this game.

I think having the mermen and the naga - in stellar form, is better than having a whole pile of races in shoddy form. This would add a lot of graphics, but... I think it would be worth it. Besides - an entire unit would still amount to less than 100KB, most likely, and the proposed tree is leaning on the small side.

hopefully dave will respond to this sometime soon...
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

This is the best of the tail animations, but I'm still not sure I like it. I would probably be against humans walking or horses charging, our images aren't supposed to animate the human body and it's movement realistically, so I prefer moving an icon around rather than trying to make it look good running or swimming.

But keep up the good work. You have always been good at animations. Personally I'd prefer you work on designing new merfolk art rather than perfecting their swimming, but that's just me.
scott

Post by scott »

The orientation of his tail fin should either be vertical or horizontal but not both. In fact it should stay vertical to match his body movement. I think it looks good!
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I like the merfolk and would alos like to see them used more. I think the tail of the merman is too small (not wide enought). While it would be nice to have water battles, to get them effective we will need some changes to get the fight more interesting from a tactical and strategic point of view.
Right now the water units have a high defence in water, witch make sense when fighting lands unit but not really when fighting each other.
Maybe it would be possible to have a defense or damage modifier for each unit type: land, air, water acting in the same way (and cumulative) than chaotic/neutral/lawfull. For example land units will receive +25% damge when attacked on water terrain by a water unit while a water unit wll receive +25% damge when on land and attacked by a land unit.

We also need some wider range of defensive value, meaning also some more "water" terrain to make the maps more interesting from a tactical point of view.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

It would be nice if there was a difference in swamp/deep water/ shallow water, for example big units like the sea serpent are best off in deep water and only averange in the other two, naga are more amphibious so they would be better in swamps and shallow water, and a bit less in deep water, mermen would get deep water and water

more diversion in the water units! >:o
miyo

Post by miyo »

KISS.

- Miyo
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I just don't see a huge sea serpent or cuttlefish being able to evade attacks that easily in shallow water, they can't fully submerge anymore =(
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Neoriceisgood wrote:I just don't see a huge sea serpent or cuttlefish being able to evade attacks that easily in shallow water, they can't fully submerge anymore =(
Agreed!

You're definitely right. I think Nagas should get 70% in swamp, 60 in shallow and deep water; Mermen 70% in shallow water and 60% elsewhere; and Sea Monsters etc 70% in deep water and 60% elsewhere.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
miyo

Post by miyo »

And I am glad Wesnoth is not about realism.

- Miyo
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Yes but it would add to strategy with water units, currently every single one is just a clone of the other with different damage modifiers and graphics.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

miyo wrote:And I am glad Wesnoth is not about realism.

- Miyo
Err... What does this have to do with what I said? and how real are nagas that like swamp, anyway?

I agree with neorice: The water units need more diversity, to add to the game. There would be more strategy in water. I personally have next to no interest in realistic water units, but I chose my ideas because there were no other factors important enough to influence me.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.