Idea: Tunes for "events"

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Idea: Tunes for "events"

Post by Dave »

This is an idea I'm going to throw out there: I think it'd be cool if there were certain tunes or sound effects for different events. The player would become used to the sounds as a cue for the event. Events would include,

- Winning the scenario
- Losing the scenario
- One of your units dying. Could be a more dramatically sad tune if the unit was level 2 or 3.
- Killing an enemy unit
- Leveling one of your units up (could be a different sfx for lawful vs chaotic).

Thoughts?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Idea: Tunes for "events"

Post by zookeeper »

Dave wrote:This is an idea I'm going to throw out there: I think it'd be cool if there were certain tunes or sound effects for different events. The player would become used to the sounds as a cue for the event. Events would include,

- Winning the scenario
- Losing the scenario
Well, for those we already have the victory and defeat musics. I don't think a separate sound effect is needed.
Dave wrote:- One of your units dying. Could be a more dramatically sad tune if the unit was level 2 or 3.
- Killing an enemy unit
Maybe. For some reason I'm not very thrilled about that, although of course it could still be experimented with.
Dave wrote:- Leveling one of your units up (could be a different sfx for lawful vs chaotic).
That's something that was discussed ages ago in some ancient thread, and people even posted some sounds, but nothing was ever committed...but yeah, a levelup sound is something that I'd like to add.
Dave wrote:Thoughts?
Sure, sound cues are a nice thing. I'm sure we could think of more places like the above which could use one.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Hi Dave, I think it's a good idea, however I can see these sounds for leveling up / units dying getting very monotonous after a while. They would have to be very discrete as not to draw too much attention away from the game or else the player would get sick of them very fast.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

zookeeper wrote:
Dave wrote:- Leveling one of your units up (could be a different sfx for lawful vs chaotic).
That's something that was discussed ages ago in some ancient thread, and people even posted some sounds, but nothing was ever committed...but yeah, a levelup sound is something that I'd like to add.
it was droped because at that time the engine didn't have victory/death animations

now it can be wired into some/all units victory anim easily
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Tyler Johnson wrote:Hi Dave, I think it's a good idea, however I can see these sounds for leveling up / units dying getting very monotonous after a while. They would have to be very discrete as not to draw too much attention away from the game or else the player would get sick of them very fast.
Yes, they should be designed as "sound effects", not as musical cues. I think it's generally a great idea, though.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Yup. I don't really believe Level UP sounds would get monotonous, b/c it doesn't happen every few seconds during the course of a game.

I also believe it could be a good idea, given that the sound effect or the music cue works well
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

How about different level up sounds per faction? So Loyalists might employ some brass, for example, whereas Orcs might have more drums.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

That could be cool. If we want to make lots of work, a different sound per faction (or species) per level - so a peasant levelling up might just get a 2-note rising trumpet, a general levelling would get a mass fanfare.

There ought to be a default set of sounds too, of course, for units which haven't had anythign specific yet/aren't in one of the mainline factions.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Per level? No way that's going to happen unless we can alter the sounds of the effect using programming to rise or fall dependent upon level. That would merely convolute things when a simpler approach would probably be just as effective, for this at least.

I don't even really see a need for that type of effect though. Having one pitch of level up for Final Fantasy Tactics didn't hurt it at all and it can work in this situation, I am fairly certain.

ancestral wrote:How about different level up sounds per faction? So Loyalists might employ some brass, for example, whereas Orcs might have more drums.
That is a good idea. How long do you think these cues or sounds should be?

Maybe if someone could name all the factions and describe a characteristic of them that might be suitable towards a particular orchestral group> Would be awesome!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I was thinking different lengths - a peasant would get a simple rising two-tone. The spearman levelling would get 3 or 4 notes. The pikeman levelling, 5 or 6. The general -> marshall would get a ten to 15 note full fanfare, since going up to level 4 is not a common occurrence.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

thespaceinvader wrote:I was thinking different lengths - a peasant would get a simple rising two-tone. The spearman levelling would get 3 or 4 notes. The pikeman levelling, 5 or 6. The general -> marshall would get a ten to 15 note full fanfare, since going up to level 4 is not a common occurrence.
That's not a bad idea, as long as they're relatively short, perhaps less than 1 second or maybe up to 2 seconds for very high levels.

Unless someone objects, maybe I can try to make some samples?
Last edited by ancestral on July 6th, 2009, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'm sure noone would mind.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Go fer it
Erudirien

Post by Erudirien »

Rain wrote:Go fer it
+1, I can only see good things coming from this wonderful idea :)