Melinath's Scenery: signposts.

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
melinath

Melinath's Scenery: signposts.

Post by melinath »

This was previously in the items thread, but since it's not an item, I figured it would make sense to start a thread with a name that's relevant for the content.

I've attached the two monoliths I've made. If people think this is a worthy project, it would be great to get feedback on what I could do to make these better. Thanks!
Attachments
monolith2_grass.png
monolith2_grass.png (10.13 KiB) Viewed 5347 times
monolith_grass.png
monolith_grass.png (10.17 KiB) Viewed 5346 times
Last edited by melinath on July 7th, 2009, 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Monolith/menhir redos.

Post by thespaceinvader »

The tall narrow one looks pretty good, but could maybe do with a slightly softer transition into the shadow. The other one could use a great deal more contrast on the lower half. I think you've tried to make it look mossy, but the result of that is that it blends into the grass. i know the mossy look is more realistic, but you have to sacrifice realism for clarity in this case, i fear.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

I did two runestones for fun an critics. They should be made of marble stone. They are probably too bright, i will tone it down, if they are useful in any way.

contstructed them in a 400px window and scaled them down to 100x100px.
Attachments
runestone23.png
runestone23.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 4981 times
runestone12.png
runestone12.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Certainly they could be useful if they were shaded properly, but currently they feel very flat, and are rather too white. If anyone wants to take on the task of shading them, then I'd have thoguht they could go in.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
melinath

Post by melinath »

I was just thinking of making runestones today... but I have a slightly different concept with less legibility at sprite scale.

On the monolith note: Thanks for your feedback, TSI. I needed to let it sink in a while before acting on it. Here're the new versions taking your suggestions into account.
monolith_grass.png
monolith_grass.png (10.17 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
monolith2_grass.png
monolith2_grass.png (10.17 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
Also, I've tried my hand at a new signpost, because I'm tired of 4-way signposts that say "NE - <whatever>". If it only says one thing, it should only have one pointer. Or whatever the technical term is.
1dsignpost_grass.png
1dsignpost_grass.png (9.93 KiB) Viewed 4867 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: Melinath's Scenery: Monolith/menhir redos, signs.

Post by Blarumyrran »

Blueblaze told me to post this here; you may yell on him on #wesnoth-music for telling me that. He also highly praised the use of semicolon in the last sentence.
melinath

Post by melinath »

I'm fine with it. It's a good image, much better than mine. (I take it that's what you meant about geometric shapes?) It doesn't even really infringe on my monoliths, since it's a much more finished work from a more civilized age. Unless the monoliths were more supposed to be that kind of thing and less prehistoric monuments. The size is really good.

Question, though: what are the symbols? i.e. are they just generic symbols or are they runic inscriptions? Decoration, or message?

EDIT:: Also, don't know how much of a problem this is, but:
obelisk_test.png
obelisk_test.png (24.71 KiB) Viewed 4776 times
The unit on the tile is standing on the obelisk very strangely. Perhaps move the bottom up a bit?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'd say put it higher in the frame, and it'll be fine ;)

These are all looking quite promising. keep up the good work =)
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Syntax_Error, your obelisk thingy... it's really great! :shock: How are you really so good...? :shock: You use so many colors in the shading, it looks so natural! :shock:

And Melinath, did you make it more blue? Because the ingame one looks even cooler than the one with forum background! :shock:

(sorry for the overusage of the :shock: emoticon, if it bothers someone, I'm just shocked about Syntax_Error's cool obelisk...)
Check out my sprites!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Syntax_Error, that is awesome. If you feel inclined to make more of those, I'd like to replace our "standing stones with something exactly like that. Melinath, if you can imitate the style of his, please do.

I'm not terribly concerned about the distinction between runestones and natural standing stones - I'm more concerned about getting some ugly old graphics out of the game.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
melinath

Post by melinath »

Jetryl wrote:Melinath, if you can imitate the style of his, please do.
It certainly helps to have a good example. I've given it a shot with the red monolith:
redobelisk_test.png
redobelisk_test.png (34.52 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
How's it look? (EDIT:: I know it's not quite as subtle as SyntaxError's and would be willing to do more to it if that's necessary.)

And here's an updated signpost with writing and with less weird-looking dirt and more weird-looking shadow. In other words, please don't tell me the shadow is off - I know I need to fix that. It would be helpful to know if this looks like a signpost you would expect to find in the middle of nowhere.
1dsignpost_grass.png
1dsignpost_grass.png (10.07 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
Last edited by melinath on July 6th, 2009, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

you could lower the sign on the pole by a couple of pixels...

probably less realistic, but closer to the stylistic signpost and thus easier to recognise...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

That monolith looks good, but the color stands out too sharply on grass terrain. I wonder how it would look on desert?
melinath

Post by melinath »

Something like this: (and a cave just for kicks.)
Attachments
redobelisk_desert.png
redobelisk_desert.png (9.9 KiB) Viewed 4541 times
redobelisk_cave.png
redobelisk_cave.png (9.67 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

You know, my initial reaction was "..meh", but I think it's grown on me, I really like it.

..The only thing I would add is watch your bottom transition. The reason is doesn't blend into the terrain very well is because you have no transition at all. Adding some dirt and stones piled up around it would make it blend better because it would feel like it's actually sitting on the ground and not floating over it. (the shadow keeps people from thinking this, though.) Some long grass would work too. Basically, add something to break up that long straight stretch on the bottom! :wink: