How to kill the slowest games

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Demystificator

How to kill the slowest games

Post by Demystificator »

Hi !

I post here without knowing if it is the perfect place for.

I wanna figure out a problem with multiplayers game via official server. Let me explain.

Yersteday, I wanted to play for my first time on the internet. I made a 1v1 then a 2v2. But, I left the last one. It is bad, I know it but we played 4 turns an hour. One of players was very slow and maybe afk, so nobody can't keep playing.

I dunno if somebody shares this problem or someone posted about it.

As I like wesnoth and still wanna play against players, I gonna suggest one thing : limited duration for playing.

Before screaming, read how it would be imo. Any player would have calculated time for playing : 30s per unit controlled. He can finish this turn before the end of his time but if he don't move and finish at the end of time, the game switch automatically to the other player.

Maybe, this option could be facultative, but I don't take more than 30s to play a unit. And remember, if you don't play all of your units, you gonna have more time to move the others.

Waiting for reactions, thanks for reading.

(Sry for my bad english).
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: How to kill the slowest games

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

A timer for multiplayer games already exists. Look at the map settings stuff when you host a game.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Demystificator

Post by Demystificator »

Never Hosted for the moment. nvm so.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

But, I left the last one. It is bad, I know
Yes, it is bad to leave games. That is more rude than a player taking his time and thinking about his moves.

In time you'll find that the best games you play take longer, because the players are actually thinking strategically about the game.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The whole debate of games taking too long has been discussed before, and yes, you can change the timer per side turn.

However, you will find that you will play faster games if you find more reliable players to play against who will stay at their computer and complete their turns quickly so that the game flows.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

I'm not a particularly fast player, but I'm not a slowpoke either, and nothing pisses me off more in MP than having my opponent keep messaging me "go go go!" when I'm making my moves… Geez! I have like 20 units here! Do you [censored] mind!?

Timer is good, but anything under 2 min. or 2:30 min is just ridiculous IMHO…
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

If you're playing wesnoth, and you're playing a map other than Isar's Cross or heaven forbid those insane 10 hex maps people make thinking "oh dude this'll be amazing". You're likely to spend more than 30 minutes, or more likely afew hours in each game you play. If you're already spending this much time playing games, there shouldn't be a problem with taking your time since you already need to be someone who can commit to playing. The "omg we have to play fast" craze is something that came with the flood of new and less patient players in recent versions of wesnoth.

I miss 1.1 and 1.2, sincerely. :)
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
HenryBird

Post by HenryBird »

jb wrote:Yes, it is bad to leave games. That is more rude than a player taking his time and thinking about his moves.

In time you'll find that the best games you play take longer, because the players are actually thinking strategically about the game.
I agree completely... Wesnoth is a turn based game, which involves... you know, waiting your turn. You can go back to first/third person real time hack n' slash games if you don't want the wait time, but this game seems to be aimed at the more strategical "chess game" type players.

There are timers if you want to weed out the people who aren't paying attention, but otherwise, be prepared to give the game some thought. Games turn out better that way anyways.
-Henry Bird

Indeed, I am a bird. But as birds go, I'm more like an awkward fowl who's going extinct and can't fly.
Demystificator

Post by Demystificator »

Yeah but taking more than 15minutes for turn 5-6... I think is too much. I take 10 min max, 15min when I got a lot of damaged units to manage.

I like playing one hour on one map, I like turn based games. I was complaining about 20minutes a turn.

Well, if the discussion has already taken place before, maybe this topic should be locked.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Demystificator wrote:Yeah but taking more than 15minutes for turn 5-6... I think is too much. I take 10 min max, 15min when I got a lot of damaged units to manage.
True, turns should never take that long, and even with a large number of units, 10 minutes is really pushing it.
Demystificator wrote:Well, if the discussion has already taken place before, maybe this topic should be locked.
Okay, hopefully you got some ideas from this topic towards playing faster games through better players or imposing time limits.

Locked.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time