PickYourRecruits Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: PickYourRecruits Era

Post by zookeeper »

Valenwood wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Ok, the version on the 1.5 server updated again.

Now there's support for unit limits in addition to cost limits. Included is an era with a unit limit of 5, meaning that you can freely pick any 5 units you wish regardless of their costs.
Are you uploading this version for 1.4.x as well, or is it possible to use the 1.5.x version on 1.4.x? I am asking because this addition is a good one, and I would like to use it on 1.4.x as well :)
Well, since you asked, I went and made a 1.4.x-compatible version and uploaded it to the 1.4 server (I also changed some text in both versions and some other little things like that). So the 1.4 and 1.5 versions should now be functionally identical (including the new extended leader list and the "reset picks" option). I didn't test it very extensively, but it seemed to work fine.
Valenwood wrote:I've been playing this era a little now and then, ever since you added it to 1.2.x, and I very much enjoy it. I've always wondered why you made so few leader units to select from, though. Why I never got around to asking it until now; I don't know, lol :)

Anyways, it's great to see you're still working on this :)

EDIT: Also, did you leave out the Peasant, Woodsman and Ruffian from being picked, on purpose?
Yes, since I wanted to simply make the unit list reflect the recruitable units of the default era. I think I prefer it this way, since then it's obvious which units are available and also because there would only be a handful of extra units like the peasants which could be added without including actual monster units and such.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Uploaded a slightly updated version to the 1.5 server. In addition to some little WML updates I commented out the 95g-cost-limited variation. You can trivially add back that one or any other variation you'd like, just open up <userdata>/data/campaigns/PickYourRecruits_Era/_main.cfg and check the bottom of the file.
TheGreatRings

Issue with pick your own recruits era?

Post by TheGreatRings »

Don't know if there's a dedicated thread for this era (looked and found none), so please merge if there is one.

When hosting a game with this era, after checking that its set at 75 gold, it reads 999 gold for me, and apparently 75 for everyone else. Is this a bug?
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The Great Rings wrote:Don't know if there's a dedicated thread for this era (looked and found none), so please merge if there is one.
Not a problem, merged.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
jmegner

Post by jmegner »

Simply awesome era. Thanks so much, zookeeper.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Uploaded to the 1.7.x add-on server. It's also been on the 1.6 server for quite a while even though I never announced it here.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

how bout adding mainline but not normally recruitable units? it would be fun to have guys like scorpian, young ogre and thug on your side.

i think you should especially add the thug, seargent and the orc leader unit, so that way people can have combos like seargent +goblins.

I would also like settings other then 5 unit limit and 75 gp limit, mainly for noobs like me who don't find 5 units enough to buy all the unit types they want, and to add more versitility.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

wesfreak wrote:how bout adding mainline but not normally recruitable units? it would be fun to have guys like scorpian, young ogre and thug on your side.

i think you should especially add the thug, seargent and the orc leader unit, so that way people can have combos like seargent +goblins.
Yeah, that's been on my list for a while...it's an easy addition, I'll upload a new version with that soon.
wesfreak wrote:I would also like settings other then 5 unit limit and 75 gp limit, mainly for noobs like me who don't find 5 units enough to buy all the unit types they want, and to add more versitility.
It's easy even for noobs to add new variations of the era. Just open up PickYourRecruits_Era/_main.cfg and look at the bottom of the file. Each {PICK_YOUR_RECRUITS_ERA_* lines specifies a new era with those given settings, so you can just add your own versions by adding some.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

PYR with anything and everything from the mainline units database would be cool - I'd love to play games with monsters =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

that i didn't know. ( i forgot 2 add mudcrawler to that list)

would it also be possible for us to add these units by putting in the unit id's from the units we want to add into the pick your recruit list?
I tried doing it myself, and am about to test it out to see if it worked.

but why are the units listed two times?

edit: the new limits worked. the new units didn't.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Actually, instead of just making new variations of the era with different unit lists, I'm going to make a bigger rewrite of how the whole thing works: instead of choosing the settings by selecting a different era, p1 will choose the settings via a context menu once the game has started. That way there's a need only for one era, reducing WML bloat and allowing one to choose whatever gold and limit settings they want, instead of only from a preset list of choices.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

awsome. can't wait to see it. it ill have the monsters and units that aren't mainline but still default?
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Hi! zookeeper, I enjoy greatly your era (even if I only use to play with myself) and I was whondering about something.

It is possible to have a "pick" based on leader? So depending on the leader, the units you may choose from diverges.

An example:

Water Leader: Selects from "all merfolk, all merman, and some acuatic monsters"
Earth Leader: Selection open to "dwarves, trolls, yeti, etc..."

I suspect that it cannot be customized, that way. Because I was thinking to use your pick system to choose units inside a faction, but stopping the user to "select" from other factions.

Thanks for the mod. And waiting for the rewriting to see what can be done :)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Uploaded a new version (2.6) to the 1.7 add-on server. There shouldn't be any problems with the renamed drakes anymore, and I also removed the last remaining gold limited era option, although it can still trivially be enabled manually by editing _main.cfg.

I've postponed doing the big rewrite, since I ran into some problems I didn't expect when I started doing it. I'll still probably do it eventually, but probably not very soon.