Damage System MOD(or Less Luck MOD) by A&J

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Araja

Re: Damage System MOD(or Less Luck MOD) by A&J

Post by Araja »

The luck aspect of Wesnoth is such an accepted part of the game I'm unsure if a Less Luck mod could ever really catch on, I'm not saying I'm part of the camp that likes it, (I missed 14 times in a row on Wesband and died...sheesh) but I'd be suprised if I saw much of this era in the lobby.

People are creatures of habit, basically. :wink:
NarajinX

Post by NarajinX »

I think people are lazy. :wink:

The easier or more accessible it is for them, more will go and try.

I think less luck mod is a bit inaccurate. Luck/RNG swings are still there but it is averaged. So instead of RNG balancing out in 20+ turns. It will take considerably less.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i just played that mod with palloco and i can speak for myself:

better stick to the old wesnoth with its crazy luck peaks.

all HP favored races have an incredible advantage:

units with little hp fall like bricks because every attack causes damage. what previously was a standard strategy, when u were attacked from all (3) hexes the unit wall end now is impossible to hold.

this happens because the random number generator generates random numbers (who would have thought?) which will lead a normal calculation of damage per strike ad absurdum. there is no "0 damage" anymore what i find horrible e.g. when u have a bat which has really necessary 60% bonus because of her fragile HP.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

would you mind posting the replay? im asking because i had quite an opposite experience, with elusive foot units surviving quite long on good terrain (sure they were hit every time but only for 1-3 hp)
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
I won't be able to see any messages that are sent to alpha1.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i wanted to do that, and i even added the file but then played on and after i wanted to finish my message it was auto-deleted. you must ask palloco if he has got the replay. we didnt finish the game it was taking too long and after a successful raid with drakes at day he retreated leaving me with lots of corpses but many dead adepts. i simply didnt want to continue a game where i have the uncertainty that a WC makes sometimes 2, sometimes 4 damage and the adepts are incredibly unreliable as well (range 7-15 if i remeber correctly), making it really hard to break a high HP wall.
palloco

Post by palloco »

alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

I watched the replay. Tbh im not sure how this replay supports the statements from your first post :hmm: That one bat, that was killed by palloco's leader on his keep was unlucky, however your other units had normal luck. I believe fighting leadership powered drakes with UD at day was the main reason why you were losing, at that point only some crazy luck could save you - which was unlikely because of the Mod.
I dont want to criticise your taste though, if you prefer the old RNG its perfectly ok to stick to the unmodified version :)
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

Just wanted to submit that I followed the simple steps of extracting and launching the wesnoth_cb.exe in wesnoth-dir (windows),
unfortunately the application crashes right away with the loading progess bar in a 3/4 state and stderr.txt telling me the same
as if it would be the working wesnoth.exe file. Any suggestions ? Could I be that simple-minded to even fail following these brainless steps ?
ArtuR

Post by ArtuR »

Hello leocrotta,

Can you please give us some details on what you did?
First of all, what windows do you have, and what version of wesnoth did you use for the MOD? Then, what file did you download and where exactly did you put it? I hope we'll be able to help you after you give us this information.

ArtuR

leocrotta wrote:Just wanted to submit that I followed the simple steps of extracting and launching the wesnoth_cb.exe in wesnoth-dir (windows),
unfortunately the application crashes right away with the loading progess bar in a 3/4 state and stderr.txt telling me the same
as if it would be the working wesnoth.exe file. Any suggestions ? Could I be that simple-minded to even fail following these brainless steps ?

That's the experience we had too. I couldn't clear a goblin lvl 0 on a village with a skeleton for 2 full nights.
alpha1 wrote:would you mind posting the replay? im asking because i had quite an opposite experience, with elusive foot units surviving quite long on good terrain (sure they were hit every time but only for 1-3 hp)
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

ArtuR wrote:Hello leocrotta,

Can you please give us some details on what you did?
First of all, what windows do you have, and what version of wesnoth did you use for the MOD? Then, what file did you download and where exactly did you put it? I hope we'll be able to help you after you give us this information.

ArtuR
First of all: Sorry for not offering those informations earlier, thought I might not be the only one having the issue. :oops:

Pre-info:
  • BfW-version: 1.6.2
What I've done:
  1. Downloaded >this< file
  2. Used 7zip/winrar/... on wesnoth_cb.rar to extract wesnoth_cb.exe
  3. Placed wesnoth_cb.exe in {wesnothdir} (which is the main wesnoth-directory where also wesnoth.exe is located)
  4. Tried to execute wesnoth_cb.exe without success :( (results see latter post)
NarajinX

Post by NarajinX »

I am not sure as to why that is happening. Maybe some libraries that are needed isn't present?

Version should be 1.6.2. And looks like you have the correct one.

I have several ideas which you could try..although it'd require some effort.

1. Reinstalling wesnoth and try those steps again.
2. Trying 1.6 version (thats what I use), although it should work on 1.6.2 (I know it worked on some people with 1.6.2).
3. Last resort would be to compile it yourself. Which isn't as bad as it looks, tho a little programming experience will help. I'll be happy to provide instructions on compiling, which I was gonna do but got carried away with other stuff.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

perhaps the downloaded file was corrupted? in which case you can always redownload... :wink:
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

Well it's also not working on my xp-laptop and neither with 1.6.2 nor with 1.6.3, the file has been downloaded at least 5 times. :wink:
The next step should be either on a different os or self-compiling on windows; However it should solve the issue. :hmm:
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

maybe downgrading to 1.6.0 (as Narajin suggested) will solve the problem? I have 1.6.0 and it works fine