The Brotherhood of Stone

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rakarei55555

The Brotherhood of Stone

Post by Rakarei55555 »

i've been thinking about making a campaign called "The Brotherhood of Stone". it's not going to be very long, but not too short, i find campaigns that are too short seem to cut you off.

it takes place on the eastern continent before the arrival of Haldric and Jessica. a lich is attacking the north, and the dwarves and trolls must join together to defeat him.

i've never made a campaign before, so help would be greatly appreciated with making the campaign into a playable form, designing units, setting up dialogue and triggers, and artwork.

I don't want to do this all by myself, it seems like a lot of work. Could some one help with programing it? You could help with other stuff, but that's the main thing I don't understand.

thanks
Last edited by Rakarei55555 on June 17th, 2009, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let anyone else
Tell you who you are
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: The Brotherhood of Stone

Post by Turuk »

Rakarei55555 wrote:i've never made a campaign before, so help would be greatly appreciated with making the campaign into a playable form, designing units, setting up dialogue and triggers, and artwork.
While there are sometimes campaigns with more than one user working on them, you will find that very few people will be willing to help you if you do not make the first steps. I am not saying that you were not planning to, just letting you know that the more progress and effort you show, the more likely you are to attract the interest of someone else. Campaign ideas are a dime a dozen, but people who actually follow them through to the finish are rare, and so users are often hesitant about lending effort to a campaign only to see it wasted as the campaign is abandoned.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Rakarei55555

Post by Rakarei55555 »

it starts like this, the dwarven prince is in a mining town deep in troll territory (underground). Trolls find the encampment, and begin attacking. you have to survive for 20 turns. then reinforcements arrive.

next scenario is a counter attack, but it messes up and the trolls capture the dwarf prince. he tells them he is a prince and that his father's army will kill them all, so they don't execute him. they need his help to convince the dwarves to fight long side the trolls to defeat a lich.

next scenario,you're still in the troll city, and the get attacked by undead. you help them fight them off, and the dwarf prince is convinced to help. he goes to his father, the king, who think doesn't want to help. j

ust then undead attack. this is a very hard battle. the dwarf king is then convinced to help the trolls end the undead menace. they meet to decide what to do. they then begin their journey to the lich's fortress.

along the way they meet elves. they have to defeat the elves. they ask the elves to join them, but the elves refuse.

they move forward and encounter some saurians discussing an alliance with the undead. they defeat the lesser lich who is negotiating with the saurians, but the saurian leader escapes to warn the head lich.

they chase him. the next battle the saurians are cornered in front of a mountain range. you have to defeat them.

then they continue on their way and meet some drakes. the drakes attack them right away. you defeat them.

you then get to the lich's fortress. turns out a saurian got there in time to warn them. you have to defeat the saurians and the undead. this is the last battle.
Don't let anyone else
Tell you who you are
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

It seems as if you are trying to squeeze in as many factions as possible, and often with little benefit to the storyline.
Rakarei55555 wrote:along the way they meet elves. they have to defeat the elves. they ask the elves to join them, but the elves refuse.
This could be just mentioned in the story. As the dwarf and troll armies marched, they came into contact with a band of elves. Seeking their assistance in removing the undead, the elves refused, and so we continued our march towards the domain of the lich.
Rakarei55555 wrote:then they continue on their way and meet some drakes. the drakes attack them right away. you defeat them.
This also seems to add little to the story.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Rakarei55555

Post by Rakarei55555 »

but the drake leader goes to the drake council, and they decide to help you, and after a few turns in the final battle, drakes show up to help you.
Don't let anyone else
Tell you who you are
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

So it is drakes, dwarves and trolls united to fight the undead/saurians?

Fair enough, it's all in how well it is done.
Darkaros

Post by Darkaros »

The part with the Drakes may be a bit more interesting if the Undead come along and attack them, too, making it a three-way battle. The Drakes acting territorial and dropping hints about where the Undead are, if there's a secret weapon, ect might make the whole encounter more interesting to the storyline.
Rakarei55555

Post by Rakarei55555 »

Darkaros wrote:The part with the Drakes may be a bit more interesting if the Undead come along and attack them, too, making it a three-way battle. The Drakes acting territorial and dropping hints about where the Undead are, if there's a secret weapon, ect might make the whole encounter more interesting to the storyline.

thanks

so, uhh, what exactly do i do, and how do i do it? i'm on a mac, how do i actually turn maps into senarios and then into a campaign?
Don't let anyone else
Tell you who you are
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Go to the top of this page and click on the create button. You will find detail there, as well as links to pages that will answer questions you may have about WML and building scenarios and campaigns. I would also suggest taking a look at how mainline campaigns and user-made campaigns are set up so that you have an idea of what you have to do to get yours to work.

To start out, you will need one folder with the name of your campaign, in which you will have the main.cfg, and folders for the scenarios and maps. The map you make in map editor needs to be saved MyScenario.map and placed in the maps folder. When you create the scenario in a text editor, save it as a .cfg and place it in the scenarios folder. Make sure that you indicate the proper name of the map in the mapdata= so that the scenario can find the map properly.

This will seem strange to you, but what I said will make more sense if you look at how someone else has done it.
Rakarei55555

Post by Rakarei55555 »

k, thanks
Don't let anyone else
Tell you who you are
Matthi205

Post by Matthi205 »

First you make maps with the editor,then you write the scenario with the exact campaign folder path to the map and then you have to write the campaign's main.cfg.Do not use TextEdit,rather use word(create a plain text .cfg file) or the console editors emacs or vi.Both are a little bit other than word,but they seem the best alternative to me.By the way,which MacOSX version do you have?And which wesnoth version?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

*Hears an echo*

Use some sort of text editor beyond word, your life will be easier.
Rakarei55555

Post by Rakarei55555 »

Matthi205 wrote:First you make maps with the editor,then you write the scenario with the exact campaign folder path to the map and then you have to write the campaign's main.cfg.Do not use TextEdit,rather use word(create a plain text .cfg file) or the console editors emacs or vi.Both are a little bit other than word,but they seem the best alternative to me.By the way,which MacOSX version do you have?And which wesnoth version?

OS X 10.5.7.

Wesnoth 1.6.2

Turuk wrote:Use some sort of text editor beyond word, your life will be easier.
if i don't use text edit, and i don't use word, what do i use?
Don't let anyone else
Tell you who you are
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

That is his opinion, I see nothing wrong with using TextEdit, as it will get the job done. There are nicer text editors out there that will help with syntax highlighting and let you know when you leave something open, but if you are just starting out, there is nothing wrong with using TextEdit so you do not get over your head.
Rakarei55555

Post by Rakarei55555 »

k, ty

i've looked at some of the files for The Hammer of Thurgostan (amazing campaign) and it's all starting to make sense.
Don't let anyone else
Tell you who you are