Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

That actually is sad.

Here I thought you were posting a link to 'Eragon' getting some writer's award or something.

Currently reading "The Hunt for Red October" in snippets, along with "People of the Sea."
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

I read this some time ago, but it is definitely a worthwhile read.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, by Max Brooks. Sometime in the near future, a disease begins to spread across the world that kills its victims and reanimates their corpses shortly afterward. The war against the zombies is over, and the UN has commissioned the author of the book to do a write up on the war, the number of people dead, the resources expended, the tactics, what worked, what didn't, etc. The book is what didn't make it into the official UN report, as it was believed to be too personal and focused too much on ordinary people and their day-to-day survival.

Brooks really did his homework with this one. It really feels like an account of an undead uprising, especially from the standpoint of the world's armed forces. You're probably kind of skeptical, I bet, but trust me. This is a great story.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

scienceguy8 wrote:World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, by Max Brooks.
I read Brooks' "The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead" some time ago. Thanks to your hint, I checked amazon again. He seems to have a personal thing with Zombies. Maybe worth another purchase...
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

For some reason I have had both of those books recommended to me personally, repeatedly, by independent sources.

Might be about time I checked one out from the library...
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Right now i'm in the middle of A Brief History of Time, by Stephen Hawking. It's confusing at times, but also interesting. I recommend it.
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

I'm currently reading a book called The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes; as the title suggests, it's a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Crushmaster wrote:I'm currently reading a book called The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes; as the title suggests, it's a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Good call! If you can get hold of this be sure to check out Jeremy Brett as Holmes.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Just started Stanislaw Lem's "Fiasco", slowly completing my Lem-collection.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

HomerJ wrote:If you can get hold of this be sure to check out Jeremy Brett as Holmes.
Get hold of it? Why elementary my dear Homer.

If you are reading through the collected works though, that is a nice addition to watch after reading, as Brett does Holmes rather well. One of the most interesting bits in the stories for me was the drug addiction that Holmes had, and how he would turn to it in order to stimulate his mind when there was no case to do so for him.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Rather more than just one drug addiction, as I recall... ironic, given that he lived with a doctor for much of that time ;)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Skizzaltix wrote:Rather more than just one drug addiction, as I recall... ironic, given that he lived with a doctor for much of that time ;)
True, but Watson does go on in several of the stories how he has no issues with it as a doctor, but as a friend he feels that Holmes is only hurting himself given the types of drugs he used. It is an interesting view on the thoughts of the time on drugs.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Joram

Post by Joram »

I haven't read very many of the stories (and what I have read was a while ago), but I have a friend who has read a good many of them (all?) and he says that based on the stories, he thinks that Holmes is gradually weaned from drugs because as the stories go on, he is mentioned using drugs less and less till finally they aren't ever mentioned at all.

Anyone have any confirmation/refutations? My friend did read them ages ago, and I've known him to remember a few other things incorrectly.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Joram wrote:I haven't read very many of the stories (and what I have read was a while ago), but I have a friend who has read a good many of them (all?) and he says that based on the stories, he thinks that Holmes is gradually weaned from drugs because as the stories go on, he is mentioned using drugs less and less till finally they aren't ever mentioned at all.

Anyone have any confirmation/refutations? My friend did read them ages ago, and I've known him to remember a few other things incorrectly.
I have yet to read a few less popular ones, but as his need for stimulation goes hand in hand with boredom, maybe the later stories altogether have less boredom. Especially given the fact that most people believe everything (Holmes-related) that Conan Doyle wrote post "The Return", he did for the money only.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Joram, that is true, I remember that when I read it. Watson always talks about trying to get Holmes to be less reliant on his drugs, and in the later stories, Watson does say that he has managed to curtail the habit in Holmes. He does make references to the fact that it still exists, he just manages to keep Holmes occupied with other things to replace the drugs.
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

HomerJ wrote: Good call! If you can get hold of this be sure to check out Jeremy Brett as Holmes.

Greetz
HomerJ
Thanks for the recommendation. :)

In reference to Sherlock's drug problems, they start in "The Sign of the Four", I believe. That's the story I'm currently reading; after "A Study in Scarlet".
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster