Ruffians?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

edgar55

Ruffians?

Post by edgar55 »

Sometimes I like to think about the worst unit of the game. I think that there a unit that is completely useless: the ruffian.
An attack 5-2 and the 16 hitpoits make this unity worse than a peasant. Have anybody a different opinion?
"When the light came up, the real commanders came out"
- Glaedr95
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Ruffians?

Post by Turuk »

One question mark would have sufficed for the title, not 5.

The ruffian has the same melee attack as the peasant but is indeed without a ranged attack and has 16 HP instead of 18HP. However, it also costs 2 gold less, which means that you can buy 4 ruffians for the price of 3 peasants.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
palloco

Post by palloco »

I wonder how do you play Wesnoth if you only take into account 2 parameters. Do you wait for the enemy to surrender after you state your brute superiority?
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

First of all, i'm not a lvl0 units player, but, when your money runs low you can get those without losing income, ok all lvl0's do, but, can be used as cannon flodder during daytime, or take them out off battle to captur villages, ok they have low attack as walking corpse does, and those are weaker against arcane, but goblins can only level up to lvl1 and ruffians to lvl3... and goblins have the traits of weak and silly while ruffians don't.

I'm not saying ruffians are good units, only that there are some uses for lvl0s, against shkeletons, poachers are "the prey" while ruffians have impact, saying that those are cheaper and more effective, i would chose them.

Appart to this, i don´t use them... :oops:
Araja

Post by Araja »

They are alot better against skeletons, and can advance into something fast and agile...
csparrow

Post by csparrow »

it depends on what your fighting whether to use ruffians or not and if you have footpads,thugs, and cash ruffians shouldn't be used :) but if you don't have some of those then ruffians may be handy

but against walking corpses they will join the rank of the undead :lol2:
It is from their foes, not friends that cities learn the lesson of building high walls - Aristophanes
edgar55

Post by edgar55 »

ok, so I think that now I can give a little utility to the ruffians :hmm: If I use them against skeletons only...
"When the light came up, the real commanders came out"
- Glaedr95
LightAlkmst

Post by LightAlkmst »

How does Ruffian defence compare to Peasant?
Araja

Post by Araja »

Less damage, less health, no range attack.

Not counting their different advancement paths, the only good thing about them is the impact, and that can be as much of a weakness as everything else.
manored

Post by manored »

LightAlkmst wrote:How does Ruffian defence compare to Peasant?
Its all equal, both on resistences and terrain afinity. Ruffians need 5 less xp to advance, and since lv0 units are mostly cannon fodder that might get a chance to shine if they advance a level, thats a lot :)

Whenever its worth recruiting then or not probally depends of the options... after all, some units are meant to be part of special situations (such as campaigns) and not to be balanced for normal competitive play :)
ElvenKing

Post by ElvenKing »

In addition they have no upkeep, which can make them useful in some situations, such as at the start of the High Seas scenario when you have to fully crew your ship with a low income.
"if nothing we do matters... , then all that matters is what we do."
Angel- Angel the Series

"Sore thumbs. Do they stick out? I mean, have you ever seen a thumb and gone 'wow, that baby is sore'?"
Willow Rosenberg- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Araja

Post by Araja »

Don't Peasants cost 0 upkeep too?

They have equal resistences and terrain affinity...well, yes...So they have less health, -1 damage, -6 range attack , but they require 5 less exp to advance so they're equal?

Hmmmmmno.
manored

Post by manored »

Araja wrote:Don't Peasants cost 0 upkeep too?

They have equal resistences and terrain affinity...well, yes...So they have less health, -1 damage, -6 range attack , but they require 5 less exp to advance so they're equal?

Hmmmmmno.
Unless the current unit guide, wich I am using for reference, is outdated, they have only 2 less hp, same meele damage (except its impact) and -4 ranged damage, costing 6 while peasants cost 8. Not that different to me, what makes the -5 xp needed to advance, what is close to meaning one less unit to kill, considerable :)
Araja

Post by Araja »

If I was thinking of a strong peasant....
Hey wow, I've achieved Failure #2.

So, -4 damage and -2 HP, but also -5 exp...cheaper and weaker, but with more potential if they somehow survive.
Although impact is generally better than pierce except in special cases such as Mudcrawlers or Cavalry.
Ending Note: what does it matter, we can't recruit either of them anyway :wink:
manored

Post by manored »

Well, I think in this thread we were all assuming we could recruit all units off the main mod, incluiding the normally unrecruitable ones... with so many units to those from its hard to decide :) But, compared to the units I know, they dont seen useless, though their uses are indeed few. I personally hardly ever use lv0 units (except for bats, wich are freaking awesome flying binoculars).