I come in piece - Hello everyone!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheHelmet

I come in piece - Hello everyone!

Post by TheHelmet »

Hello,
I've been playing Wesnoth for about week now, and I think its great fun. I've actually played this game about five years ago on my Linux, and last Thursday, I saw a forum post about it and decided to check it out. The game is almost the same as I remember it 5 years ago; I've always loved RPGs, hex based wargames, and strategy games, so Wesnoth is a perfect game for me. I live in Israel and speak fluent Hebrew so I might be able to help translate. (Although my English is way better than my Hebrew) I've also been spriting for quite a while, and I'd like to learn how to make stuff for the game. (I have some basic experience with scripting)
Well, glad to have rediscovered this great game,

The Helmet

(If this isn't the place for Hello topics, please move this where is belongs)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: I come in piece - Hello everyone!

Post by Turuk »

Welcome to the game (again) and it's always nice to hear that people feel they have found a game they can really enjoy. If you are interested in translating, you may want to contact the person found on this page, or browse through the translations forum to see what work is being done on Hebrew.

For spriting and coding, poking around throughout the corresponding sub-forums and particularly in the wiki will help you to find a great deal of pertinent information that will help you get started.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I'm also kinda new here despite having joined some months ago… *points to his post count*.

I discovered Wesnoth a few years back, and I've been playing it on and off when time permits.
Falsafa

Post by Falsafa »

Yeah, I've been playing it a long time too. I had some breaks, but you can say I'm a die hard fan. I've only just started posting in this forum though.

I would like to help as well. I know a bit about programming and I'm a native speaker of Polish, so I can help translate, like The Helmet.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Let's up the post mean in this thread.

Welcome back, good game.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Well, thanks for the warm welcome guys, glad to have (re)found this game. and joined the forums.
Edit: Is there a thread for posting random art?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Start up a thread in the Workshop if it's wesnoth and/or UMC related, there's a sticky in Off-Topic otherwise.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

TheHelmet wrote: I live in Israel and speak fluent Hebrew so I might be able to help translate. (Although my English is way better than my Hebrew)
Give me bad names, but I would recommend you'd alter the topic's title to support your claims. ;)
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

You mean the piece thing? Its supposed to be a joke, a really bad, hard to notice one.

Oh, and uh.. your name seems familiar, have you been on DRL?
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

TheHelmet wrote:You mean the piece thing? Its supposed to be a joke, a really bad, hard to notice one.
Oh, all right, I feared it would be a joke I missed. :lol2:
So, nevermind.
Oh, and uh.. your name seems familiar, have you been on DRL?
As I don't know what DRL could stand for... nope?
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Data Realms, there's a person with the same username there. http://www.datarealms.com/forum/memberl ... ile&u=3150
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

TheHelmet wrote:Data Realms, there's a person with the same username there. http://www.datarealms.com/forum/memberl ... ile&u=3150
Although I like to use this name everywhere I go, I couldn't convince the internet by now to reserve the nick for me alone. So no, I am not a member of the aforementioned forums. ;)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Thanatos wrote:
TheHelmet wrote:Data Realms, there's a person with the same username there. http://www.datarealms.com/forum/memberl ... ile&u=3150
Although I like to use this name everywhere I go, I couldn't convince the internet by now to reserve the nick for me alone. So no, I am not a member of the aforementioned forums. ;)
On a similar note, some otherwise sane people go out ahead to websites of video games they may purchase and reserve their preferred usernames before they're even out :augh:

p.s. Ima find the freak that took Gambit on HAWX at least a month and a half early >_>
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

That sort of dedication to preserving your name on a game is creepy. Though to be fair, it's not as if Gambit is a popular character or anything....
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I've been known to join communities in advance if i think i might be interested in membership purely to reserve my name. I started after my name on livejournal disappeared to a one-post wonder several years ago. I can't get my name on gmail, either, i had to settle for something else.

It's one reason why i have a personal website i never really use, too...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.