On what version did you first play Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What was the first version you played Wesnoth on?

0%
1%
0%
2%
1%
2%
4%
11%
5%
10%
6%
18%
4%
24%
2%
10%

Total votes: 301

Gobanhimer

Re: On what version did you first play Wesnoth?

Post by Gobanhimer »

I started on 0.9 but never got around to playing online or going on the forums till now.
I eat all your foods!!! -Me (and possibly some movie)
Matthi205

Post by Matthi205 »

Started playing somewhere in the 1.0 to 1.2 Area(only a wild guess,the campaigns installed show me that),left,Downloaded 1.4,First forum account(The same name)was deleted :? ,And now after a while I return and play 1.6,i've played 0.4 too(wonder how?found the site to download it in the forums! :D )
Adellion

Post by Adellion »

0.6 O.o
god those were the good days
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

Did something weird happen to the poll...??? I see there are only 195 votes and there are 258 posts - that can't make sense surely? And I'm sure there were a heck of a lot more than 20 people playing Wesnoth by version 0.6 - this forum was already a hive of activity when I first visited it!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I think some of the very old votes might have been lost in one of the forum crashes - I seem to recall when I first joined, that the 0.x issues had a lot more votes than that... Or it could just be that not everyone who posts, votes.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
PhilipN

Post by PhilipN »

I discovered Wesnoth just a few years ago on a CD of an older version of Knoppix (a Linux distribution, for those of you who don't already know that). I also found Wesnoth 0.8 available on tucows, which looked similar to the one that I'd played earlier, so I've decided to go with 0.8. Running Linux from a bootable CD (as I was doing when I first played Wesnoth) prevented me from saving games (the saved games were gone every time I restarted the computer), so I decided to download Wesnoth so that I could save my games. I found Wesnoth.org and downloaded the latest version (1.4.1), and you can imagine how much of a novelty it was when I saw how different 1.4.1 was from 0.8.8! I actually had to re-learn many of the units (for example, Holy had been replaced with Arcane, and many of the units had been changed drastically, and many units-such as Merman Hunters-had been added, and others-such as Thugs-had been removed from their factions, only to appear in the campaigns). The terrain graphics had been improved drastically (remember when the "trees" graphic was actually a pattern of green brush strokes?), and the music made the game seem more intense. The swamp terrain had been added, and now figured prominently in many of the campaigns and some of the MP scenarios (now that 1.6 is out, could some of the MP maps be redesigned to include some Coastal Reef? I was just noticing that none of the ones I've seen have that terrain. While you map designers are at it, please be aware that the new map, Howling Ghost Badlands, includes some buildings that look like villages but aren't!)

Ah, it's fun to reminisce, especially when all the changes appeared to happen all at once (when I went from 0.8 to 1.4 without playing anything in between).
Matthi205

Post by Matthi205 »

I remember I posted three times,but I can't find even one of the two older posts!
tvrtko

Post by tvrtko »

And I kept playing ever since!
"Worms are better than me." - Homer Simpson
HenryBird

Post by HenryBird »

Alas my friends, I have played since version 1.2

And I have been infecting those around me with Wesnoth fever ever since... :D
-Henry Bird

Indeed, I am a bird. But as birds go, I'm more like an awkward fowl who's going extinct and can't fly.
Zhter

Post by Zhter »

Hey, could somebody help me with a newbic question?

Was there a version when gryphons were lawful? Wich one?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I recall downloading Wesnoth from macgamefiles or macupdate… don't remember which one now. Like many people, was looking for a new game, something free or cheap.

Anyway, I think it was the late 1.1's. I know it was before 1.2, and I think it had the newer keep graphics. I had downloaded it, recall 1.2 getting summarily released, got bored, and took it off of my computer.

I touched it again a couple years later, when it had gotten into the 1.3's, and was actually a little surprised how it had matured even since then. Took it off, and then came back with 1.5→1.6.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

Version 1.6, some weeks ago. Cool stuff, I'm totally addicted :wink:
"I love humanity, but I just can't stand people"

Current project(s): Campaign - An Ordinary Adventure
Sono Italiano, se servono traduzioni contattatemi (con calma, e in fila indiana XD).
Erudirien

Post by Erudirien »

I think I first played Wesnoth at verison 1.4 and I can still remember how amazed I was then. Haven't played for a while now but the time has come to make my return, 1.6 here I come!
Araja

Post by Araja »

I remember the only naga level 2 being Sea Hag, and the Drake Blademaster/Hurricane Drake /Drake Enforcer/Drake Warden/Master at Arms/Highwayman/Huntsman/Ranger/Draug units didn't exist.

Sadly I have no idea what number that was, does anyone know...vaguely?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Araja wrote:Sadly I have no idea what number that was, does anyone know...vaguely?
http://www.wesnoth.org/units/

Feel free to poke around, though it does not go past 1.0, and I think the Sea Hag was still in 1.0, but there was another Naga level 2.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time