A freely modifiable wesnoth boardgame

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Matthi205

A freely modifiable wesnoth boardgame

Post by Matthi205 »

I've made a board game for wesnoth with NONE content.It is freely modifyable.
rules:
Materials:
pen and paper
a board(hasn't to be with hexes)
a 6-sided dice
The Board can be with really positioned units(chess figures,Warhammer units etc.),terrain or just for reference.
The dice is for calculating damage:
6-Critical damage
1-Miss.
Pen and paper are for writing where the units are,their Hp,Xp,and other things.

Anything must be not made by me,it must be made by the players,like BfW. :D
Matthi205

Re: A freely modifiable wesnoth boardgame

Post by Matthi205 »

But I want a board game without any calculations or big rulebooks.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Matthi205 wrote:Anything must be not made by me,it must be made by the players,like BfW. :D
If Dave had used that approach, there would be no wesnoth :o . He made a working Wesnoth 0.1 with gameplay, content and code.
Dave did not wrote:Hey, I made an awesome game called Wesnoth! Rules: Use a text editor, a compiler and a graphic program, but you'll have to do gameplay, content and code! :D
That would not have worked.
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

What are the units' health and experience points?
How much does it cost to recruit units?
Do forests have added defense?
How does healing work?
How do you keep track of hit points?
What about resistances?

Although I like your creativity, it might help to explain how to play the game. I have a feeling you know the answers to some of these questions, but most people would like to have a more "complete" game. A big rulebook doesn't mean the game is overly complicated; it could simply be an helpful, illustrated guide to your board game.

You should expand on this further :)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Matthi205

Post by Matthi205 »

Okay,since I'm really not good at balancing use standard wesnoth units with movement adjacent to the board you use.(for example:chess board-1 movement.I'm thinking of a custom unit pack,but that's later.No resistances or damage types (yet).Healing goes so:You search a unit and add the adjacent Hp to it.It can be only one unit.Keeping track of Hp and Xp and Mana(maybe?) goes via pen and paper.The planned factions use a damage min. to damage max. attacking.Factions which come soon:Humans,Mercenaries,Saurians(Custom) and Elves.Rulebook is in work.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Yeah, I don't think you should be dismissing a concept which has actually had a lot of work done on it, and seems quite similar to what yours will likely end up, so readily when you've clearly done very little work.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Matthi205 wrote:But I want a board game without any calculations or big rulebooks.
Not to offend, but if you think the rulebook for that version of Wesnoth is going to be big, you havn't seen any heavy board games.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

And tbh, if it wasn't a complicated game, it really wouldn't be Wesnoth. You'd have to simplify a lot to make wesnoth into a board game, but take it too far, and you miss the point of the game.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Matthi205

Post by Matthi205 »

understood.but i'm currently doing it all.i only wanted to hear first what other people might think of it.So,i've done a really first version of a rulebook.currently not featuring much,but it answers some of the basic questions.
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

How should I read the rulebook?

Code: Select all

% file Rulebook.txt
Rulebook.txt: CDF V2 Document, Little Endian, Os: MacOS, Version 10.4, Code page: -535, Title: Web Page:at the wesnoth forums
Max

Post by Max »

uzytkownik wrote:

Code: Select all

% file Rulebook.txt
Rulebook.txt: CDF V2 Document, Little Endian, Os: MacOS, Version 10.4, Code page: -535, Title: Web Page:at the wesnoth forums
that's the old "if an extension is not allowed i'll just change it, but i'm not gonna tell anyone" approach^^
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Indeed. Wordpad will open it readably in windows. Well. Readably. I make no assurances about it actually making an awful lot of sense...
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

thespaceinvader wrote:Indeed. Wordpad will open it readably in windows. Well. Readably. I make no assurances about it actually making an awful lot of sense...
Hmm. Could anyone publish pdf/djvu/real txt? Or at least doc/odf to use google docs... I just discovered my openoffice has gone on holidays (I use LaTeX on daily basis so that's not a problem for me) ;) and 'less' is not much help (well - that's the advantage of text-based format - I can break into simply by cat).
Max

Post by Max »

Rulebook.txt
(2.36 KiB) Downloaded 266 times