SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.17.9!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MCP

Re: SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.17.7!

Post by MCP »

voris wrote:
MCP wrote:f it.
Did I miss something? :)
I edited the post to replace what I wrote because the guy started a new thread instead of following up here, in the appropriate thread. I was frustrated with impatience and I expressed it well enough.

So in that case, +1 :madasfok:
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

voris wrote:
spookymagician wrote:No offense or anything, but the game is getting close/near to the impossible state. The goal was to kill the bosses. Yet, I am not seeing how it is possible at the moment. I do agree that the game should of been harder. But again, it seems impossible with the changes. Seriously, has anyone even beat the game on the hardest mode? (I haven't seen any proof yet)

(BTW I'm referring to the big maps. I haven't played the older/smaller maps yet.)
I can't say for sure, but I'm sure it would help Mabuse out a lot if you mentioned just a touch more detail like which map exactly, at which point you're seeing trouble, are you starting with map settings (not changing starting gold, leaving shroud on, etc.) and how many are you playing with. It's also useful to know if you're doing weenie things like starting with 5 just so you can kill off two of them for gold. The core SX macros are designed to discourage that by giving the AI players big bonuses when a human player dies... :)

Edit: Never mind, looks like you did that a couple posts down. That'll teach me to hit the reply button before reading all the way down...
Oh, I didnt know it gets harder when players die... But wait... What if a player dies but had no gold? Same effect? That would just be silly to make it harder at that point.

But, I just play with the default settings. I never change anything. I also am just referring to the giant maps like 80x100 that use 800 gold. I don't have any complains about the other maps because, I haven't played many of them with the updates.

(However, I noticed if you play SX Advanced, its actually quiet easy with just 2 players. But, that's another map/changed settings. But, that's off topic...)

Anyway, I'm just gonna let it go. Besides, I gotta get back to my maps as well. Just give it a look over and see if I am right/wrong if you have the time anyway. In any case, its just a game.
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Lastmerlin

Post by Lastmerlin »

Bumping the enemies if a play dies that has NO gold is simply crap. This is what often spoils online games: You never know how much idiots you will have in your game. If you choose a relatively easy difficulty and have 5 solid players its simple. If you choose hard and then have 2 idiots that die fast the game is spoiled for the rest.
I have played quite a lot of survivals and noticed, that in less of 5% of the cases the gold left by the player was a good compensation for the enemy strenght increase, and in at least 80% it was not even enough to compensate the lost firepower.
I dont know how invented this, its just crap. Either make the increase based on the gold the player left, or just remove it. On big maps, even ~500 gold is not very much, and the lost player is worth more. The cases where a player drops more than 500 make up less than 5%.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Got an error updating. Dunno if you know or not but... (Not sure which specific SX addon it was but it's just fyi.)

Missing closing tag for show_if for the SXCmacros.cfg line 4679. I'll remove/reinstall later once fixed.

edit: Apparently it's been fixed as soon as i posted. :hmm: Nevermind then.
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

First I have to say: I'm quite impressed by the work you've done on SX, voris. Everything looks new and polished. Better than anything I've ever done, I guess. I like most of the new features.

However, there's one thing I don't really like: the new difficulty. No, the difficulty itself is fine, but even though I choosed Intense as a difficulty, it felt quite... ...underwhelming later on. And that's not because the creeps are too weak or something - I think you gain upgrades too quickly with the new discounts you get when buying several enhancements at once.
In fact, you get 10 Dmg for the price of 7, 10 strikes for the cost of 8 and 200 HP for the cost of 160. Yes, I am aware of the fact that you need to have enough gold to actually buy so much stuff at once to get the discount. However, especially later on, having enough gold to buy at least one multi-upgrade and get the maximum discount is pretty common. You get stronger about 20% more quickly than before (and deal 30% more damage), which simply wrecks the enemies, even if you mess up.

I don't know if more people feel like this, but in my opinion, the discount for buying more upgrades at the same time should be removed. The option for buying more upgrades at the same time is fine, just remove the discount, please.

In case you want to see it for yourself, I attached my replay. I controlled all five players myself, and even messed up early on, losing the archer. Shortly before the end, I lose the mage as well, but that was because of laziness and because I knew I would win anyway, so I didn't even really bother trying to get her away.
Attachments
SX_Advanced_replay_(50_turns).gz
SX_Advance on Intense, beaten in 50 turns.
(175.56 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
MCP

Post by MCP »

I agree with Clonk. I did not realize it was +30% damage.
voris

Post by voris »

Clonkinator wrote:First I have to say: I'm quite impressed by the work you've done on SX, voris. Everything looks new and polished. Better than anything I've ever done, I guess. I like most of the new features.
Thanks! I'm glad you like it.
Clonkinator wrote:However, there's one thing I don't really like: the new difficulty. No, the difficulty itself is fine, but even though I choosed Intense as a difficulty, it felt quite... ...underwhelming later on. And that's not because the creeps are too weak or something - I think you gain upgrades too quickly with the new discounts you get when buying several enhancements at once.
In fact, you get 10 Dmg for the price of 7, 10 strikes for the cost of 8 and 200 HP for the cost of 160. Yes, I am aware of the fact that you need to have enough gold to actually buy so much stuff at once to get the discount. However, especially later on, having enough gold to buy at least one multi-upgrade and get the maximum discount is pretty common. You get stronger about 20% more quickly than before (and deal 30% more damage), which simply wrecks the enemies, even if you mess up.

I don't know if more people feel like this, but in my opinion, the discount for buying more upgrades at the same time should be removed. The option for buying more upgrades at the same time is fine, just remove the discount, please.
Fair enough. That's reasonable feedback. I definitely have noticed it doesn't hurt as much as I thought it might to save up. I have to agree it's probably a failed experiment. Look for it to be changed in the next version coming soon! :)
MCP

Post by MCP »

Voris you are sadistic! The spiders in sx curve prime! TOO FUNNY.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

@voris: Alright, that's nice to hear. :)
MCP wrote:Voris you are sadistic! The spiders in sx curve prime! TOO FUNNY.
Oh, and not to mention the invisible Yetis right after the drake boss. An invisible hyper-speed Yeti with a 35-15 attack when you only have about 350 HP at most ain't not very funny, especially when you've already been damaged quite badly by the drake leader and are attacked by two of those Yetis at the same time. :?
voris

Post by voris »

Clonkinator wrote:@voris: Alright, that's nice to hear. :)
MCP wrote:Voris you are sadistic! The spiders in sx curve prime! TOO FUNNY.
Oh, and not to mention the invisible Yetis right after the drake boss. An invisible hyper-speed Yeti with a 35-15 attack when you only have about 350 HP at most ain't not very funny, especially when you've already been damaged quite badly by the drake leader and are attacked by two of those Yetis at the same time. :?
I cannot take credit for that or the spiders other than helping to code the ideas of newt. I admit to not having playtested it quite enough since I've been consumed with other development. I'll forward your feedback along. :)
xtreme-one

Post by xtreme-one »

hey all, I hav a prob with being able to use the SXC maps. I hav the latest SX and SXC add-ons w/ BEEM. but I cant play an SXC map or make a game with SXC maps. is this a bug? or is this just my computer? thanks
btw the only add-ons that I was using are: SX, SURVIVALXADDONPACKS, SXCOLLECTION W/BEEM.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Hey voris, have you ever decided to use my combo system for SX? (Just wondering) If not, oh well.
(User Page)
voris

Post by voris »

xtreme-one wrote:hey all, I hav a prob with being able to use the SXC maps. I hav the latest SX and SXC add-ons w/ BEEM. but I cant play an SXC map or make a game with SXC maps. is this a bug? or is this just my computer? thanks
btw the only add-ons that I was using are: SX, SURVIVALXADDONPACKS, SXCOLLECTION W/BEEM.
As long as what that is supposed to mean is that you have four addons:

SurvivalXtreme
SurvivalXAddOnPacks
SXCollection
BEEM

...then that is all you should need (more than you need, in fact, since all you really should need to run the SXC maps is SXCollection and BEEM...) and it probably is your computer. Do the maps show up and you just can't create the game or is it that the maps don't even show up?

[edit: I fixed the name of Mabuse's addon in my list and pointed out that the list is more than is needed even.]
Last edited by voris on May 25th, 2009, 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
voris

Post by voris »

spookymagician wrote:Hey voris, have you ever decided to use my combo system for SX? (Just wondering) If not, oh well.
It's on my list as a thing to do something with. There are other game balancing things higher on the list though. :)
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Alright. Hope to see it in SX eventually. :)
(User Page)