The Council's Rise

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dragonchampion

The Council's Rise

Post by Dragonchampion »

The Council's Rise

The Council is a group of powerful Liches who hate how thier bretheren have become evil and conniving. Thier goal is to unite their Guild and elminate these evil Necromacers, and restore dignoty to the once-powerful Lich Council.

You are Lich Heridan, a Lich who became one when his city was attacked by robbers. He had been resaerching necromancy for some time, and was interested in its use to reanimate the "souls" or persons with the more advanced spells. However, an bandit lord cut him down, and he just barely made himself into a Lich. His friends didn't mind his new "look", but he still considered himself to be a freak, and became a hermit, until the Lich Council found him.

Your mission is to find and slay any Necromancer that is causing truble and pain for those they are around. Your skeletons are unique, as they are the souls of people who felt they did not want to die, and want to become undead to help. This will be apparent with the ability to have a new type of skeleton; the Reborn Warrior. (A skeleton with loyal automatic, expensive, but strong)

NOTE: I may make a path where you can go "evil" and slay the Lich Council, and bacome Lich Overlord yourself.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
Adellion

Re: The Council's Rise

Post by Adellion »

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....COOL :D

i like the idea BUT

you join the lich council and you either slay the evil necromancers or slay the council....ep.3 star wars reference there just the plot anyway.

Where does the story take place.... how many scenarios and stuff.....

I would love to try it :)

o.O
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

You seem to be the only one interested in this...

I plan on haveing around 5-10 scenarios, depending on the branch. The story takes place after DiD, which means Malin might be mentioned a few times.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Dragonchampion wrote:You seem to be the only one interested in this...
Generally, users post very little interest in just an idea any more, as they are a dime a dozen. Most wait to give advice, feedback or general comments until you actually give them something to play with so that they can see how you have fleshed the idea out. I would suggest posting or uploading scenarios that users can play if you want feedback on your idea.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Webster52402

Post by Webster52402 »

As Turuk said, it'd be a lot more helpful for us to get a bit of the actual campaign to sit down and play then give feedback on. An idea is all well and good, but its implementation is what really matters. ;)

That being said, I am an undead FANATIC, and usually play any Campaign where I can play them, so I would be very, very interested in seeing this Campaign. We need more good undead campaigns. ^_^
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Well, I have to work on TWOT's 1.7 format, and then work on Devs Vs Noobs Era, but I think I may be able to work on this while I do those.

TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

I'm a little uneasy about this campaign, since I've generally felt that necromancy is evil, end of story. However, I would certainly expect to see some necromancers who believed themselves to be in it for more nobel reasons than pure personal power. As it stands, with perhaps a few exceptions, lichs tend to be rather one-dimensional villains, who have no motivations beyond their own power and immortality. Impressive once or twice, but that kind of character tends to get boring after a while.

Having the "evil" path alternative is interesting as well, and something I'd like to see more campaigns do. It sounds a bit like the Star Wars RPG Knights of the Old Republic. Having the player's choices actually affect the story beyond simply winning or losing can make it more interactive, and can make the player feel like they're actually playing in a world rather than a fixed sequence of events.

So I for one am definitely interested. And hey, your other campaign was good (Terrador), so I figure this might be worth a try if it ever gets done. That said, I'll echo the cries for more information. :D
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The Great Rings wrote:Having the "evil" path alternative is interesting as well, and something I'd like to see more campaigns do. It sounds a bit like the Star Wars RPG Knights of the Old Republic. Having the player's choices actually affect the story beyond simply winning or losing can make it more interactive, and can make the player feel like they're actually playing in a world rather than a fixed sequence of events.
An interesting idea. If DC was to find himself with an inordinate amount of time on his hands (say, a summer vacation) and the desire to do so, the campaign could be designed with each scenario having 2 or 3 possible conclusions that would lead to a different scenario, but decisions made in the following scenario could bring the player back on the first track or sidetrack him still. Similar to regular branching scenarios now, but with more interweaving based on good or bad choices, or those in between.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Yes, again, its the kind of thing I wish more campaigns would do. Granted its more work, and some players may prefer a fixed story, so I empathize with the designers. But it could be very interesting.

As you noted, some campaigns already hint at it. Heir to the Throne has two points where the story branches, but neither effects the ultimate outcome besides making certain fights slightly harder or slightly easier. Rise of Wesnoth has the second scenario choice to spare or kill the lady outlaw, but while I've never taken the "kill" option (I'm a merciful warlord after all :wink: ), I understand that it has no real effect on the story either. An old version of Northern Rebirth had a good/evil choice in one of the early scenarios, but if you chose the evil one you just lost the game. In a way I'm almost glad the choice was removed from the 1.6 version, because it served little purpose but to taunt the player with an intriguing alternate storyline and then fail to deliver. :D Now wouldn't it be interesting if one of those "choices" actually delivered?
The X-files

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

True, I know that A Rough Life by Jacques_Fol factors in player decisions towards the end that can lead to different outcomes, and that is what made me think of it. Hopefully enough interest will motivate DC to try something new. ;)
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Dang it! I wish you guys wouldn't blurt our my campaign concepts. :augh:

How the CRUD did you manage to come up with all that from just "I may do a part where you turn evil"? Yes, my inspiration is KOTOR, and That was what I was planning to do.

I'm still trying to figure out how you managed to see through my surprise... :hmm:

Oh, and yes, In 2 weeks, we are out for summer, and I will have time to play before colege in the fall, and I will probably be working on this game. (Wesnoth)

TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Dragonchampion wrote:Dang it! I wish you guys wouldn't blurt our my campaign concepts. :augh:

How the CRUD did you manage to come up with all that from just "I may do a part where you turn evil"? Yes, my inspiration is KOTOR, and That was what I was planning to do.
Well, I don't think the idea is anywhere near exclusive to KOTOR, but its probably one of the better known examples, and as a Star Wars fan my mind would probably jump to it. :) That said, you haven't really given any of the campaign away in terms of the actual details of the story. If anything, you should be listening to the people who are asking for more information.
I'm still trying to figure out how you managed to see through my surprise... :hmm:
Force powers. :wink:
The X-files

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Force powers.
The Emperor can see all.

Besides, we were bouncing ideas around of what would be a neat concept for the player to have an influence on their morality and thus the path of the campaign. We happened to hit the nail on the head that you were planning such, and not just a branch where you go "evil" for a couple of scenarios. Just that good.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

I call that pure luck. :P