please help...

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Burnsaber

please help...

Post by Burnsaber »

How do i upgrade 0.8.0 to 0.8.2? I have downloaded the zip...
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
miyo

Post by miyo »

What about providing all the needed details: e.g. what platform (operating system) are you using?

Otherwise the reply is 'apt-get install wesnoth' but that assumes you are using Debian GNU/Linux and you have added Wesnoth APT repository to your sources.list.

- Miyo
scott

Post by scott »

You could delete/uninstall your current copy, then download the binary for 0.8.2. If you need to compile the source code, then it seems to me that you should be able to download the entire 0.8.2 source, compile it, and run it independent of the 0.8.0 installation.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
I use windows and want to upgarde my version of 0.8.0 to 0.8.2. Are you saying that i should uninstall the 0.8.0, and then install the version 0.8.2?
I´m sorry for being this stupid but please have some patience with me...

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
miyo

Post by miyo »

We are asking these questions because Wesnoth is not running only on Windows... Wesnoth runs on GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, BeOS, Sun Solaris, BSD, and even Microsoft Windows.

Maybe you should download the Wesnoth 0.8.2 for Windows (exe):

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wesn ... e?download

- Miyo
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

OH! now i get it!!!!! :lol: i had the wesnoth-0.8.2.tar witch was for Linux, Right? If so why i can`t download the .exe from the downloads section?

Is this game so heavily played by linux users so that you can`t have the .exe version in the most logical place??

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

The .exe file is in the downloads section under Binaries. It should be easily downloadable.

We continue to have the problem that new players don't know the difference between binaries and source code, and so they download the source code and wonder why it doesn't play. Perhaps we should be more explicit about the differences between source code and binaries. As we get more popular, morepeople who have no knowledge of programming or compiling are trying to play Wesnoth.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

Yeah everybody can`t be a coder after all....
I suggest that the coding stuff is removed from the downloads sections front page and put under some link. The actual game downloads (for all platforms, off course) should be the only thing downloadble(I like inventing my own words :lol: ) in downloads sections front page

scott

Post by scott »

It might be time to label them as "source code - for people who want to compile the game with a C++ compiler" and maybe put the binary (labeled binaries aka executables, apps, etc.) link at the top.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Wesnoth project officially provides just the source code... all binaries/packages/executables are contributions. If for some reason we do not have u$win builder or Mac OS X porter then there will be no binary/package/executable for that platform.

e.g. official and primary Mac OS X porter has been busy and currently on vacation so Mac OS X player community has had to build unofficial package for Mac OS X players.

Same can be true for any platform in the future... if BeOS porter does not port Wesnoth for BeOS then there will be no BeOS port.

By the way, do you see any GNU/Linux binaries or packages? No, because we don't provide them.

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Check the attached screenshot:

* It clearly says Source Code and then lists possibilities
* After that is says Binaries and there you can find Windows, Mac OS X and More binaries.

I think it is very clear already.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

IMHO the page is clear only if you know what the terms 'Source Code' and 'Binaries' mean, and many people do not.

I don't think we need to break things into 'Source Code' and 'binaries' at all. We could just have,

'Wesnoth for Windows'
'Wesnoth for MacOSX'
'Wesnoth Source Code'
'Wesnoth for other platforms...'

I think that is succinct and clear. Anyone who knows what source code and binaries are will know that the versions for certain platforms are binaries.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
dms

Post by dms »

IMHO that is an excellent way to do it.

Avoiding the term 'binaries' will save some people some confusion.

And putting the binaries first is good because people who aren't sure which to download will look at the top first.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Officially Wesnoth project provides just the source code... and therefore source code should be first.

Free Sofware is about freedom and source code =)

- Miyo
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

The first link should be for those people who have greatest probability to click the first link without too much reading. This is: "MS Windows Binaries".

People who do not know what "Source Code" and "Binaries" mean, probably want to download binaries. Therefore binaries should go first. Anyway, these days probably more people download Wesnoth binaries than source code. (That's not only players -- designers and translators also do not need source code that much.)

Instead of "Binaries" we should probably use something like "Install"...