Pathetic Newbie Corner

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fulk d'Anjou

Pathetic Newbie Corner

Post by Fulk d'Anjou »

This is Fulk d'Anjou, who has been teleported from the twelfth century to this era and forced by an evil archmage to play computer games. Thus, I am brave, but unlearned. I am persistent, but fumbling. Please succor this lost knight in his hour of trial!
Note: I have taken a vow to never use emoticons.

Problems:
How did I get through the first scenario in the medium human campaign with over 300 in gold? I cannot reproduce this result!

Why are my horsemen so weak on defense? Are they not armored knights?

What is a ranged attack? Do not all attacks take place from one hex to an adjacent hex? What is the range, if not one?

Go with God,

Fulk
Fulk is King!
Hex is Queen!
Invisible Philosopher

Re: Pathetic Newbie Corner

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Fulk d'Anjou wrote:Why are my horsemen so weak on defense? Are they not armored knights?
When they charge into battle, they do double damage but take double in return.
What is a ranged attack? Do not all attacks take place from one hex to an adjacent hex? What is the range, if not one?
Ranged means that the defending unit is only able to retaliate with a ranged attack, which it may not have. The tutorial in 0.8.2 explains this well.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Fulk d'Anjou wrote:Why are my horsemen so weak on defense? Are they not armored knights?
Think pikes, Sir Fulk...
Fulk d'Anjou wrote:What is a ranged attack? Do not all attacks take place from one hex to an adjacent hex? What is the range, if not one?
Think javelins and darts, guns and shortbows and crossbows, Sir Fulk. And think about the scale; how many yards to a hex?
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
scott

Post by scott »

Fulk
Yes, they are not armored knights. That's level 2.
Fulk d'Anjou

Newbie Redux

Post by Fulk d'Anjou »

OK. Look at how the Wiki is labeled. It says: "Scenario Discussion, walkthrough and Notes for mainline scenarios."

So, silly me, I go and put up walkthrough and notes for the HttT first three scenarios, and then have the audacity to ask if ANYONE else might do so, also.

Response: universal "NAH." Fine. Change the words used to describe this part of the site. Call it: "Wasteland. A part of the Wiki that nobody ever bothers to use. We don't even know why the site designer wasted his time. Don't ever, ever type anything here!"

Or...

If you guys are really so good why not write something about your techniques! Or, write that mine suck! I don't care! Write something!

btw this game is the best freeware I have ever seen, anywhere, and you guys who write code for it and seem to play it with tremendous skill are to be commended!
Fulk is King!
Hex is Queen!
scott

Post by scott »

Babelfish expressed interest in continuing your work.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Newbie Redux

Post by turin »

Walkthroughs (which, like it or not, is what you were writing) are boring. It is much more interesting do discuss general strategy.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Bandobras

Post by Bandobras »

Hi, I'm a newbe player myself (though I've begun my newbehood when Wesnoth was still soft). Walkthroughs are boring to read but fun to write, as any newbe can find someting to boast about and slip that in. :)

Fulk d'Anjou, would you like only more walkthtoughs, or can I comment on your strategies, describe my own, etc.? I'm not yet past Pearls, so only the second alternative seems possible right now. If I am to comment, should I prefix my text with my id, or remain anonymous? Should you? And, in fact, are newbes admitted?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Bandobras wrote:Hi, I'm a newbe player myself (though I've begun my newbehood when Wesnoth was still soft). Walkthroughs are boring to read but fun to write, as any newbe can find someting to boast about and slip that in. :)

Fulk d'Anjou, would you like only more walkthtoughs, or can I comment on your strategies, describe my own, etc.? I'm not yet past Pearls, so only the second alternative seems possible right now. If I am to comment, should I prefix my text with my id, or remain anonymous? Should you? And, in fact, are newbes admitted?
[psuedolegal_text]Wikis are open for anyone to edit. They are not anyones personal property. Thus, you can do whatever you want.[/psuedolegal_text]

Basically, do whatever seems most logical.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Fulk d'Anjou

Scenario Walkthroughs

Post by Fulk d'Anjou »

Scenario walkthroughs are boring ... for those who have unlimited time to devote to this game!

For those of us with real jobs: like mine, being a revenant or eidolon from the 12th century (that's in the year of Our Lord), scenario walkthroughs help and we can always avoid them by choice!

Go with Allah.
Fulk is King!
Hex is Queen!
Cironir

Post by Cironir »

Bit of a belated response ...

I agree that walkthroughs help, but they also mean that you finish the game (well, the main campaign) relatively fast. That's okay if you have a ton of other games waiting, but how many games like Wesnoth are there? Right, few to none. :) I play HoMM3, AoW:SM and occasionally Dominions 2 (too involved for me), but none of them offer Wesnoth's AI capabilities. I think I started playing some time in spring this year, and I still consider myself a newbie. I can say that I've gotten far more value out of Wesnoth than out of any commercial strategy game in many years ... and I still haven't finished the Heir campaign on medium or hard (okay, I often restart to check out the rebalancing, and I do get distracted by other titles). But all in all, BfW has been such a fantastic game because it really does make you think. Frustrating at times, but rewarding like few other games at the end of the day.