Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

catwhowalksbyhimself

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

I'm reading the Saga of Seven Suns, book 2, but I'm going to read them all straight through. Very, very good space opera, which is far, far more complicated, then a simple good verses evil tale. It's also interesting because the four titanic alien species are based on the classic four elements--the Wentals who are sentient water, the verdani, who are sentient plants, the hydrogues, who live in gas giants, the faerons, who live in stars. And it doesn't stop at just those for either. Quite the epic tale, all in all, and the big battle for Earth at the end of book 5 (yes, I peeked) is every bit as exciting as any movie battle.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I picked Proust up again a couple days ago.

This may take some time.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

I just started reading Cather in the Rye. Unfortunately, the looming completion due date (this monday :roll:) is kind of ruining it for me
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Limabean wrote:I just started reading Cather in the Rye. Unfortunately, the looming completion due date (this monday :roll:) is kind of ruining it for me

I've read in in class and find it overrated.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

HomerJ wrote:
Limabean wrote:I just started reading Cather in the Rye. Unfortunately, the looming completion due date (this monday :roll:) is kind of ruining it for me

Greetz
HomerJ
So far, I think I have to agree with you
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I read it at A level, and found it short. And a bit dull.

I'm currently reading revision notes >.<
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Harland Ellison, The space between (I think). Not the sort of thing you want to read at 03:00...
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Limabean wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

Greetz
HomerJ
So far, I think I have to agree with you
The fact that a majority of people who are required to read this for school always seems to declare that Catcher in the Rye really speaks to them and that it is one of their favorite books only tells me that that person does little reading. It is interesting, but I agree that it is entirely overrated as a piece of literature. It's short and full of angst, awkwardness and self-loathing. Perfect for teenagers to relate to while reading.

Currently reading Faith and Fire, Popular and Unpopular Religion by Aston. Unless you have a historical interest in religious persecution and the development of doctrine in order to solidify the stance against heresy, you are better served not reading this.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Edguy_Forever

Post by Edguy_Forever »

Well, I always felt that people put way to much emphasis on Catcher in the Rye as this ultra deep commentary on something or other. IMO, it was never meant to be anything more than an existential story about some kid wandering around a city. To me , the whole point was that it wasn't supposed to be anything particularly gripping or special.But Personally, I'm not really that big a fan of it either. it's alright, not great.

A book that I thought was a really interesting social commentary (especially for its time) was Joseph Heller's Heart of Darkness. You will probably get to read that one some time in your Highscool career as well.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Edguy, I think you mean Joseph Conrad, as Joseph Heller wrote Catch-22. Also something that most people read in their high school days as well though.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Edguy_Forever

Post by Edguy_Forever »

yeesh, my bad! good catch.

heh, no pun intended... but that worked out awesome!
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Now i'm starting Contact, by Carl Sagan. I've heard some good things about it and I can't wait to get farther in so I can decide for myself
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Albert Camus "Happy Death".

Another one from a nobel-prize winner.
After reading Saramago I have to say: Although the book was nice, this price is overrated.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
zekk

Post by zekk »

Just started reading Adam by Ted Dekker again, the subtitle of which reads "He died once to stop the killer. Now he's dying again to save his wife."

I always end up reading Dekker's books more then once
"“…It’s not that you don’t have the capacity to accept the truth. You don’t want to accept it, and you hide behind your own logic and intelligence while the truth marches by. Step out and join it, for goodness’’ sake!"

— Ted Dekker (Saint)