New grassland and forest to water transitions

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't mean to argue over how it would be implemented before the graphics were even done. Do graphics first, then we can discuss how to use them. Better terrain and better transitions really a make a difference in Wesnoth.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Ran into some transition difficulties with my new flat transition, so I had another idea: combining dessert/beach and grassland transition. Need some minor tweaking yet, but I think it look decent enough.

Note that there is a bug with grassland next to water with a village on it getting the wrong transition on these screenshots. It's being looked into.

Circon

Post by Circon »

The sand- deep water also looks strange.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Yeah, I would really support a revision of the first thing you posted in this thread. Do note that such a transition would work for shallow water. (Yes, I do mean that. I have a river and a stream that run through my hometown, and the banks of both look like that.

I think it would be nice to work out a flat transition for sand, and possibly for a marsh-grass terrain. The trick is, mainly, that small, sharp edges like this usually take effect around running water, and smooth edges are around lakes and open bodies of water with waves lapping against and smoothing out the shore.

So, normal grass and forest should have the "cliff" transition, and marsh grass/sand should have the flat transition. The map making engine should try and put the right terrains near the right kinds of water.
freim

Post by freim »

Jetryl wrote:Yeah, I would really support a revision of the first thing you posted in this thread. Do note that such a transition would work for shallow water. (Yes, I do mean that. I have a river and a stream that run through my hometown, and the banks of both look like that.

I think it would be nice to work out a flat transition for sand, and possibly for a marsh-grass terrain. The trick is, mainly, that small, sharp edges like this usually take effect around running water, and smooth edges are around lakes and open bodies of water with waves lapping against and smoothing out the shore.

So, normal grass and forest should have the "cliff" transition, and marsh grass/sand should have the flat transition. The map making engine should try and put the right terrains near the right kinds of water.
Yeah, I'm still gonna make the cliff trans. also. After it's done we can try out different variations and see what fits the best.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

cobretti wrote:
Woodwizzle wrote:I agree with chris, bring the waterline up a little bit. But if you could, make the canyon thats showing now and that will be covered up by the water fade to transparent if you get me.
It is a transition with shallow water. Shallow.

That kind of effect would be extremely good with a transition to deep water, but is pointless with an extension of water that is no deeper than 1 meter. :wink:
I think you miss understood me. I don't want the original canyon images brought back in and faded into the water. What I was suggesting was raising the waterline on this new image a few pixels, and then just shading those few pixels to transpant.
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Woodwizzle wrote:
cobretti wrote: It is a transition with shallow water. Shallow.

That kind of effect would be extremely good with a transition to deep water, but is pointless with an extension of water that is no deeper than 1 meter. :wink:
I think you miss understood me. I don't want the original canyon images brought back in and faded into the water. What I was suggesting was raising the waterline on this new image a few pixels, and then just shading those few pixels to transpant.
Ooops :oops: . Sorry, I understood it the other way. Still, I think we have to see how it works before deciding if it is a good idea.
freim

Post by freim »

I've started on the cliff tiles now. Made a few test tiles:

I'm thinking that maybe some of the larger cracks/ravines are a little to large.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Wow, impressive!
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Aleksi wrote:Wow, impressive!
Yeah...really impressive...! GOOD WORK !
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

i think that's the best terrain graphics I've seen for wesnoth yet! (although, i don't come to the forum that much, mostly IRC). i REALLY like the new water too!
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

gorgeous. I still think the water line might look better a pixel or two higher though just because thats an awful steep falloff right now. But I'm just splitting hairs :)
Circon

Post by Circon »

I agree. Gorgeous, but a bit steep/high.
Shade

I Like

Post by Shade »

I like. I think the re-introduction of a hard edged terrain border is a good thing, and this looks good. So much of the new art makes it look like we've just discovered the joy of Alpha, or something :) (Not that I dislike alpha, just it's seeing a lot of use these days) A little more balance between hard and soft edges will be nice, and easier on my eyes.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
scott

Post by scott »

can you use the [current high] cliff transition for grass-ocean

and

a modified cliff transition that is lower with overhanging grass for grass-coast?