Wesnoth 1.6.1

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.6.1

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.6.1 is out!
This is a bugfix release for the 1.6.x series and it is compatible with the other 1.6.x versions.

1.6.1 fixes several smaller bugs, provides some smaller and many bigger updates to many translations and ships several updated graphics (not everything is listed in the changelog...). The most important change is that the game should not crash as often anymore. Beside this a problem with the game locking up if no music was available and music turned on in the preferences was fixed. In general speed should have been improved, too (animations less sluggish, stuff like this).

Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.6. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... 2?download (218.3 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.6a to 1.6.1, 5.1 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The OpenSolaris package is not available yet. Once it is you can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created. All known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from sourceforge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.6.1 is already up and running. This server can be used to play with 1.5.13, 1.5.14, 1.6, 1.6.1 as well as all 1.6.x releases that are to follow. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

By now the add-on server already offers much content that should be completely compatible with 1.5.13, 1.5.14, 1.6, 1.6.1 as well as all upcoming 1.6.x releases. Have a look at this forum post for the new rules which are to be followed from now on. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notice the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
Frezycus

Re: Wesnoth 1.6.1

Post by Frezycus »

hey ummm i don't see this on the changelog...

is there a whisper character limit now? because after i downloaded 1.6.1, i can only type very short whisper messages in multiplayer :cry:
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

* Limit the maximum length of the mp command dialog as workaround for a 'crash'. (Windows and Mac only.)
That means you can send longer messages as usual via /msg or /whisper. And of course there is a lenght limit as before of 256 characters.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Frezycus

Post by Frezycus »

aah right. thanks for clearing that up :)
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

Mac OS X system;

in previous release, the short cut "apple+Q" allows to quit the current game. Now it make the application closes...
I just wanted to know if it's a new feature or a bug?...
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Frezycus wrote:hey ummm i don't see this on the changelog...

is there a whisper character limit now? because after i downloaded 1.6.1, i can only type very short whisper messages in multiplayer :cry:
This is unfortunately added since long whispers caused problems on Mac and Windows.
It seems a problem in Pango and I'm investigating the problem, but since I don't have
access to Windows and Mac solving it is a bit harder.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

hiro hito wrote:Mac OS X system;

in previous release, the short cut "apple+Q" allows to quit the current game. Now it make the application closes...
I just wanted to know if it's a new feature or a bug?...
Feature, or at least bug fix. Feel free to suggest how you'd like it to be.

The bug that was reported, was that when you press cmd+q, it would ask you if you really want to quit, but then no matter what you said it would quit the game anyway. I figured having it just always quit (but not ask first) would be the best behavior because that is the standard Mac behavior, unless there's a document/state that needs saving. In this case, there's a game that might need saving... but there's auto-saves for that, so what you would potentially lose is pretty minimal, I think.
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

penguin wrote:
Feature, or at least bug fix. Feel free to suggest how you'd like it to be.
I used to use cmq+q to leave a current game, but I understand that it should use for the application quit.
Is there another shortcut to leave the current game, now? Because we close a current game more often than we quit the game...
I mean cmd+w or cmd+shift+w could be nice to have for closing a current game, and cmd+q to quit the application....
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
Skiv

Post by Skiv »

is it possible to make a "patch" ? Smaller, better to DL etc? I hate downloading a hugeass 200mb file..
Please?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Skiv wrote:is it possible to make a "patch" ? Smaller, better to DL etc? I hate downloading a hugeass 200mb file..
Please?
Read: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23796

If you have run Windows or Linux, try: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Download_Xd ... ource_code
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

hiro hito wrote:I used to use cmq+q to leave a current game, but I understand that it should use for the application quit.
Is there another shortcut to leave the current game, now? Because we close a current game more often than we quit the game...
I mean cmd+w or cmd+shift+w could be nice to have for closing a current game, and cmd+q to quit the application....
Good point, and good suggestion, I didn't think of cmd+w! You can set it yourself in the preferences for now, but I think I'll make this the default for the next version.
Skiv

Post by Skiv »

Turuk wrote:
Skiv wrote:is it possible to make a "patch" ? Smaller, better to DL etc? I hate downloading a hugeass 200mb file..
Please?
Read: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23796

If you have run Windows or Linux, try: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Download_Xd ... ource_code
oh lord, didn't see that, thx :)
Gankenstein

Post by Gankenstein »

What would be the best way to upgrade from 1.6.0a to 1.6.1 on a Win32 (XP) Box? Here's what I did, in case somebody wants to add it (or an improved version) to a FAQ

My install was/is "for all users" with user files placed in Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.6
- I uninstalled 1.6.0a using the uninstall shortcut.
- This removed the contents of the Battle for Wesnoth 1.6 folder in Program Files except for stderr.txt
- User files did not seem to be deleted, at least the save games weren't
- Manually deleted user files (except savegames) to avoid possible settings issues between versions
- installed 1.6.1 to the default dir (Program Files\Battle for Wesnoth 1.6)
dederocks

Post by dederocks »

Hello,

1.6.1 is incredibly slower than 1.6 on my computer (Vista). Any issue with the compilation options?
Thanks,

André
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

dederocks wrote: 1.6.1 is incredibly slower than 1.6 on my computer (Vista). Any issue with the compilation options?
Nope. The same compilation options are used. Some people even report that 1.6.1 is faster for them.
"meh." - zookeeper