Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Thief Animation

Post by Turuk »

Well, the jump does look better but only because he walks back to the position he started from, and then jumps up and down. There's really no sense of him actually jumping backwards.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Well, the jump does look better but only because he walks back to the position he started from, and then jumps up and down. There's really no sense of him actually jumping backwards.
I have one idea how to make that jump so it would have sense, made a quick sketch so dont critisize it much.
Attachments
thiefattackrepair5.gif
thiefattackrepair5.gif (12.47 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Yeah, that is more along the lines of an actual jump, as it's similar to what you previously posted.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 23#p336523
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Sometimes you need to make one step back to make two steps forward...sadly.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

bonehead11 wrote:Okay I havent been here long time ago and I had some work to do etc. etc... so I got some time and tried to finish it, well make the jump look better, readed those comments, tried backward jumping...and hope I repaired it, but I am not good at critisizing mineself so I will leave it to others.
His upper body is flying backwards faster than his feet. This is not how humans jump, if you tried this, you'd fall on your butt. When you're jumping backwards, the feet need to be further in the "direction of the jump" than the upper body.
Not almost truth, when I tried jump backwards, that first part of jump was correct, that mine feet were before me, but as you stated your feet need to be in the direction of jump, but not at all the time, in first few seconds you have legs before you than as you float in the air your legs change direction according to the jump, then you prepare for landing and land absorbing impact, thus I hope this animation is correct.
:annoyed: Don't blow off my suggestion. Do exactly what I told you because it's (probably) necessary to make this look right. It still looks wrong. It is not acceptable until you fix this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not einstein or anything, and my hunch could be wrong. But my spider sense is getting pretty keen these days. And whatever you end up doing, it's not okay as it is now. You have to fix this.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

^ What he said. You are still moving around in circles over this animation, as you have now gone back around to where you started with no progress. Taking an entirely new approach on the idea might not be a bad thing.
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Wow havent been here long time, I dont know if thief animation was done by someone else...

If not here is updated version, as suggested tried to move his feet more in the direction of the jump...hope I repaired it...
Attachments
thiefattackrepair5.gif
thiefattackrepair5.gif (12.34 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
Last edited by bonehead11 on July 20th, 2009, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

One issue with the thief is the arc of his jump. He currently goes forward, jumps back in an arc but then appears to hit a wall and slide straight down.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I think Jet wanted to tweak with the base frame a bit. Probably best to wait.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.