Proposed additions to Manual

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thunderlord

Re: Proposed additions to Manual

Post by Thunderlord »

Oh. I sort of considered the in-game help to be a manual...
I should have read through the rest of the topic more thoroughly!
What the... Is my thunderstick working?
*looks down barrel*
Newell

Post by Newell »

Suggestion for Section 1.3.5:

Your army consists of units that you have recruited or recalled. Each unit is identified by its race, level and class (it is a good strategy to have an army containing units of a variety of classes). More details on race, level and class are available in the in-game help.

Units also have strengths and weaknesses based on a number of other factors which are explained in Section 2.3.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

I'm about 70% through the manual redraft. A few clarifications and queries:

From the traits.cfg file (I checked in SVN), it appears that Dextrous applies to all ranged attacks, not just bows. So, Faerie Fire, Thorns etc. are also included. Correct?

Does a poisoned Healthy dwarf lose 8 HP to poison then recover 2, or does he lose 8x75% and recover none? As long as the only poison in game is 8 points, the difference doesn't matter, but I would like to describe the interaction between Poison and Healthy accurately, in case we get poison-4 or poison-12 at some point in the future.

In the intro, we have "... battle orcs, undead, and bandits on the marches of the Kingdom of Wesnoth; fight alongside dragons in the lofty peaks, elves in the green reaches of the Aethenwood, dwarves in the great halls of Knalga, or even merfolk in the Bay of Pearls." The lofty peaks of where? I'd like to mention locations for all of these; missing it out for the dragons unbalances the prose slightly. [I'm assuming it's a reference to a campaign scenario somewhere, but even if it's just a generic phrase, I'd still like suggestions for some dragon-friendly peaks to refer to.]

Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Simons Mith wrote:From the traits.cfg file (I checked in SVN), it appears that Dextrous applies to all ranged attacks, not just bows. So, Faerie Fire, Thorns etc. are also included. Correct?
Correct.
Simons Mith wrote:Does a poisoned Healthy dwarf lose 8 HP to poison then recover 2, or does he lose 8x75% and recover none? As long as the only poison in game is 8 points, the difference doesn't matter, but I would like to describe the interaction between Poison and Healthy accurately, in case we get poison-4 or poison-12 at some point in the future.
The effect of poison is halved currently, so they take 4 damage per turn. Also, on the turn that the poison is cured, they ALSO heal their 2 hp from healthy.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
dlp

Post by dlp »

Newell wrote:Suggestion for Section 1.3.5:

Your army consists of units that you have recruited or recalled. Each unit is identified by its race, level and class (it is a good strategy to have an army containing units of a variety of classes). More details on race, level and class are available in the in-game help.

Units also have strengths and weaknesses based on a number of other factors which are explained in Section 2.3.
I presume this is meant to replace the current 1.3.5 text, which reads: "All game types use the same soldiers, called units. Each unit is identified by Race, Level, and Class. Each unit has strengths and weaknesses, based on their Resistances, current Terrain, and Level. Full details are in the in game help."

How about this: "Your army consists of units that have volunteered and ones you have recruited or recalled. Each unit is identified by its name and has a set of characteristics that determine its effectiveness in combat, which varies with terrain, the type of unit it is fighting, and (usually) time of day. See Section 1.3.3's description of the game screen's right side for an overview of these characteristics and pointers to the manual's explanations of each one. The in-game Help provides a complete description of each unit type and terrain."

I believe that, here and in the proposed additions to Section 1.3.3, "unit type" should be used instead of "descriptor" to be consistent with standard terminology.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Here's another quick query I can't check; in a multiplayer game side A has a unit with ambush, hiding in some woods. Side B's unit blunders into it and gets ambushed. Side C can see Side B's unit. Can it see side A's? Presumably yes, especially if side B attacks. Or does it see the side B unit fighting an invisible enemy?

OK, same again, except side A's and B's units BOTH have Ambush. And are both in forest hexes. Can side C see the fight?

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Simons Mith wrote:Side C can see Side B's unit. Can it see side A's?
Yes it can.
Simons Mith wrote:OK, same again, except side A's and B's units BOTH have Ambush. And are both in forest hexes. Can side C see the fight?
Yes as well.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
dlp

Post by dlp »

Simons Mith has made available for download a draft of a new manual that incorporates the proposals in this thread, plus many other changes, at http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p352020 .

I request, therefore, that further suggestions be made WRT to the new draft and be posted at that thread rather than here.