Wesnoth 0.8.2 for Mac OS X

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

schu

Post by schu »

Scott, I haven't tried optimizing. How much benefit did you get optimizing for size?
scott

Post by scott »

37 MB vs 41 MB. I just noticed that XCode lets you specify:
- no optimization
- some
- most (what I previously was using as the default)
- optimized for size
- optimized for speed (it cautions you against it).

If you haven't fiddled with it, then maybe we both were using 'most optimizations'. Using optimized for size is supposed to give a performance boost (according to XCode), but compiled it yesterday and haven't played it yet. Also, I found the plist editor and fixed all the versions and whatnot. I don't know the scenario editor version but I know it's not 0.8.2. Previously I had been just hitting clean/build without looking at that stuff.
schu

Post by schu »

Yeah, my compile options are default. I'll play around and see what happens. It may help my debug problem.

The source says the editor version is 7.5, but I just made a guess that it was the same version at the game. Checking over at Savannah, it looks like 0.8.2 is also the latest version of the editor, as best I can tell.
sanna

mac shortcuts not working in windowed mode

Post by sanna »

scott and schu:
Great work :)

However, there is one thing that's bugged me all along with the osx versions of Wesnoth. I usually play in windowed mode, since fullscreen doesn't seem to be to happy with my screen saver settings, and this is just fine.
BUT, the shortcuts on the menu (command-h to hide and command-q to quit; oh yes and command-m to minimize) does not work, but are still shown in the menu! NB! Its just the short cuts that don't work, the menus themselves work fine.

Now while the best thing of course would be to get them working, an acceptable interim measure would be to at least remove the shortcuts from the menu!

I've just dabbled at XCode/Interface builder, and I've much less programming background than you, but it seems to only be a matter of opening SDLMacOSXMain.nib in interface builder, show the info for these menu items and set key equivalent to empty.
scott

Post by scott »

Your package says 0.11. It would make sense if the editor had the same version as the release, so maybe 0.8.2 is right. I don't know.
schu

Post by schu »

sanna,

I agree with you about the shortcuts. Next version I post will have the shortcuts removed from the menus (unless scott beats me to it).
wobbegong

Post by wobbegong »

Just to say that I've found no problems with Schu's app on 10.3.5

Nice job.

Cheers,

Tim.
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

Yep, Schu's version is fine on 10.2.8 as well.

My only very minor grouse with the presentation of the game for the Mac is that the docs have always been shown as blank sheets rather showing their file type, it might be nice to tart that up some time, but it's not exactly urgent.

I'm sure I'm just one of many to offer thanks to Schu and Scott for picking up the reins and keeping the Mac binaries coming with the disappearance of Sith at the moment.
schu

Post by schu »

Just posted a version with the hotkeys removed from the menu.

Star Gazer, what kind of files do you think the docs should be? They appear to be just plain text. I suppose we could slap .txt on the end of the filenames, or are you thinking of something else?

So are we ready to let it the OS X 8.2 build go public?
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

It would be nice to include the scenario editor with the game, if possible.

I have had that problem with the text files in Wesnoth, I have to constantly open them manually with Textedit. I can't open them from within TextEdit becuase it can't open files from within a package of an application. Instead I have to click on the file in the finder, choose open with... and scroll down to TextEdit in the applications menu. It is a bit of a pain.

Adding .txt to the end of the file might solve the problem, but wouldn't that screw up the Wesnoth app? Wouldn't it consider .txt to be part of the name of the file, and thus not be able to read any of the text files becuase it had the wrong name?
schu

Post by schu »

I think I have included the editor with my latest posts.

Which text files in particular are you having problems with?
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

It's not that i can't open them it's that OS X 10.2.8 doesn't automatically realize they are text files. I'm referring to scenario and map files which end with .cfg, an extension that OS X doesn't know. I can force it to open them by choosing "Open with...", but I don't want to change the extension from .cfg to .txt for fear if will break Wesnoth.
miyo

Post by miyo »

quartex wrote:I don't want to change the extension from .cfg to .txt for fear if will break Wesnoth.
It will break Wesnoth.

- Miyo
scott

Post by scott »

I can suggest 2 workarounds

1. Show the package contents in the finder. Click on any .cfg file. Click cmd-i to show info. Under 'open with' change it to text edit. Click 'Change all'. This does not break wesnoth, but it may interfere with automatic campaign installation, a feature you may never use.

2. When you want to open a cfg file, drag it onto the text edit icon in the dock to automatically open it in text edit. This way you can retain automatic campaign installation.