Sound and Music help for Sci-Fi?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dragonchampion

Sound and Music help for Sci-Fi?

Post by Dragonchampion »

Where can I find good Sci-Fi sounds? There are only a few good ones from Spacenoth, And I need several.

Also, can anybody help me find a good set of music to go with my Sci-Fi Campaign?
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
mnewton1

Re: Sound and Music help for Sci-Fi?

Post by mnewton1 »

Try looking in Galactic Empire's.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Dragonchampion wrote:Also, can anybody help me find a good set of music to go with my Sci-Fi Campaign?
Are you just looking for ideas or do you have specific type of sound in mind?

Some suggestions or similes would go a long way. Sci-Fi music could be anything from pure orchestral to tribal to western to metal and electric guitars to ambient to techno… There's almost no type of music that couldn't be considered Sci-Fi in some way.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

For sci-fi sound effects, get a good free virtual analog synth and start messing around with it. Even a very basic two oscillator synth will be able to do various blips and bleeps, laser blasts and wooshes from passing ships. That's how they did much of the sound effects in the original Star Wars trilogy, and probably other SF as well.

Synth1 ought to be a good place to start, though of course there are tons and tons of free VSTi synths available.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

I want the music to be like that of all Sci-Fi stories; spacey with mysterious BG. Sorry for not being more descriptive, but I am not a musician, and as such, don't now jack about it. :P

As for the sounds, here is what I need:

Shotgun Blast
Gas (poison)
Nuclear Missile
Cyborg Death
Tank Treads
Fighter Zoom
Flagship Huge Zoom

That's All I can think of right now.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

If you've got some money to spare, don't mind being put on a waiting list, and are handy with a soldering iron, I think I have found just what you are looking for.

The x0xb0x ("zocks box"): a Roland TB-303 clone.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

scienceguy8 wrote:If you've got some money to spare, don't mind being put on a waiting list, and are handy with a soldering iron, I think I have found just what you are looking for.

The x0xb0x ("zocks box"): a Roland TB-303 clone.
Or he can just download ReBirth... :)
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Dragonchampion wrote:I want the music to be like that of all Sci-Fi stories; spacey with mysterious BG. Sorry for not being more descriptive, but I am not a musician, and as such, don't now jack about it. :P

As for the sounds, here is what I need:

Shotgun Blast
Gas (poison)
Nuclear Missile
Cyborg Death
Tank Treads
Fighter Zoom
Flagship Huge Zoom

That's All I can think of right now.
I wish I had more time. I would really like to help you with this, but I have too many projects going on. Sounds like a lot of fun though, especially the sound effects.

Tell you what, if I manage to cook something up I'll let you know. But I'm not making any promises.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24022

Check some of the sites in that thread - there are lots of public domain sound sites out there. You'll probably be able to find what you need in the public domain reasonably easily...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

I already did...

Those ones won't let me get the ones I want from this one...

http://www.a1freesoundeffects.com/weapons.html

And West:

THANKYOU
THANKYOU
THANKYOU
THANKYOU
THANKYOU

LOL. Thanks! I can't believe the great West himself might help me! Just the fact that you said you might help me is just incredible! Thank you SO MUCH!

scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

West wrote:Or he can just download ReBirth... :)
...which does not work with Mac OS X and will probably become unstable as Microsoft continues to release new OS's. Meanwhile, the x0xb0x will work as long as MIDI remains the standard for computer-based music creation and composition. Plus, with the software, you don't get the same sense of satisfaction or the intoxicating odor of lead-based solder as you do an electronics kit. :D

As to the topic at hand: I recently rigged up a device that allows me to use my GameBoy Color's built-in sound generator as a MIDI-based musical instrument. If I get the time, I may try mixing a couple sounds together and passing them through a Garage Band filter or two. Might work, might not.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

I have gotten a person to help with TWOT music that wanted to do music for Spacenoth, but b/c it isn't updated, he couldn't so I "nabbed" him for TWOT

To hear his music, download the newest version and play the campaign!

West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Dragonchampion: I installed your campaign and listened to the music, just to check out what style you were after.

Might this be of use to you?

It ends abruptly so please don't include it as is, if you like it I'll be happy to finish it.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

WOW...

Thank you SO much. This music... is...

ARRGGH! I hate it when my mind foes faster than my writing!

The word is (pick one):

Incredible
Fantastic
Awe-Inspiring
Monolithic
Worthy of highest praise from the music-gods themselves

Thank you SO much, again! Yes, I would be honored if you could finish it so I could add it. And also, could Bob_The_Mighty use it too? I think he would be interested, as well.

West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Dragonchampion wrote:WOW...

Thank you SO much. This music... is...

ARRGGH! I hate it when my mind foes faster than my writing!

The word is (pick one):

Incredible
Fantastic
Awe-Inspiring
Monolithic
Worthy of highest praise from the music-gods themselves

Thank you SO much, again! Yes, I would be honored if you could finish it so I could add it. And also, could Bob_The_Mighty use it too? I think he would be interested, as well.
Heh, easy there. If you only knew how easy it is to make this kind of music... :)

I've had your request at the back of my mind for weeks, and last night when I couldn't sleep I checked out your campaign and tried creating some fitting music for it. This isn't a style I normally work in, but as I buy Computer Music Magazine every month and for every issue they're basically throwing good synths at me, I figured I might as well try and use them for something.

I was aiming for pseudo techno/ambient stuff, something like the Starcraft soundtrack. Cold, dark, hi-tech sounding. It was actually a lot of fun, as it's a world apart from how I usually make music.

And sure, anyone who wants to can use it, just let me finish the tune.