Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Fountain For Use

Post by musketaquid »

Here is a fountain i quickly made. It needs some polishing and it sure could be animated. If somebody finds some time, feel free to do so.
Attachments
fountain.png
fountain.png (6.89 KiB) Viewed 7133 times
woodmouse

Re: Fountain For Use

Post by woodmouse »

Wow, that's really cool. Can I ask, did you mean it for mainline or for umc?
Check out my sprites!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

it's quite good... but it seems huge to me.

I would expect fountains to be on the same scale as villages, and this one is closer to the side of units than of villages...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

... did you mean it for mainline or for umc?
It's meant to be for mainline. Just another image for the scenery folder, but to get there it needs some corrections. I believe the fish should be more recognizeable as a fish and the space between the pillars lacks a bit of detail. Well, if i find time, i'll try to improve this, but if someone can't wait he can make it mainline ready himself. If it never reaches mainline state in the near future, then it is for umc.
Boucman wrote:it's quite good... but it seems huge to me.
I would expect fountains to be on the same scale as villages, and this one is closer to the side of units than of villages...
It's not that huge to me, just closer to the side of villages than units. But there is no problem to scale it down.
Attachments
fountain-screenshot.png
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Seeing it in-came, it looks a little bright, and i'm not sure the perspective quite matches the other villages - it seems to be tilted further away from camera than they are.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

Polished! I made it smaller, darker and worked on the point of view issue.
Attachments
fountain-screenshot.png
fountain.png
fountain.png (6.14 KiB) Viewed 6668 times
JustinOperable
Art Contributor

Post by JustinOperable »

It's less a matter of overall value, and more a matter of contrast. it looks like you just dipped the levels. it would be better if you increased the contrast, preferably by actually painting in darker pixels and outlines. The villages are quite high contrast in and of themselves where as your fountain is high key, relatively low contrast.
Creative Commons Fantasy Portrait Marathon!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/131 ... t-marathon
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

JustinOperable wrote:It's less a matter of overall value, and more a matter of contrast. it looks like you just dipped the levels. it would be better if you increased the contrast, preferably by actually painting in darker pixels and outlines. The villages are quite high contrast in and of themselves where as your fountain is high key, relatively low contrast.
:hmm: Indeed. The design is good, and I can see it working for several different races, but the low contrast makes it look a little blurry. A little fine-tuning may be necessary.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

JustinOperable wrote:It's less a matter of overall value, and more a matter of contrast. it looks like you just dipped the levels. it would be better if you increased the contrast, preferably by actually painting in darker pixels and outlines. The villages are quite high contrast in and of themselves where as your fountain is high key, relatively low contrast.
I agree. And why is it pink? If you intend it to look like marble, it's not going to work as long as we can't see the veins. It'll end up just looking... pink. I think grey/white stone would be a better color choice.
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

... And why is it pink? If you intend it to look like marble, ...
Yep, it turned out pink because i filled the base shape with a marble pattern. So for pixel art this color for marble seems not to work. I'll try a more black and white version.
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

A black and white version. More contrast now. The fish became a dragon or so :wink: I hope this works better.
Attachments
fountain-screenshot.png
fountain.png
fountain.png (6.78 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
DragD

Post by DragD »

yes, it is much better :)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed. The only slight issue i'd raise is that the water looks very very blue considering that it's shallow and over a white background. At least as light as the shallow water tiles, preferably light, would be better =)

Other than that, it looks brill.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The figure spewing out the water is also much clearer, it was not so easy to make out what creature it was before.

British-English Dictionary

Brill:
British slang for "Brilliant," equivalent of American "cool."

Ex. That was bloody brill!
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

A lot better. I'd still suggest, in addition to making the water lighter blue, that you make the area around the fountain be covered with cobblestones or similar, instead of the fountain itself just popping straight out of whatever kind of ground you place it on.

Of course that makes it harder to keep within the hex bounds, which it already crosses slightly. There's currently no especially handy way of placing larger-than-hex items on the map so that they don't also get drawn on top of everything else (such as units).