Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Death1

Re: Wesband (Now with relevant info in the first post)

Post by Death1 »

i really like the concept of wesband, and i had been waiting for a not so glitchy version to come out, so tyvm for that, ill help any way i can

I Cleared 2 levels, and tried to go back to the town,because i had been poisoned with no way to cure it, but when i went up the second level stairs, it sent me to an entirely different level than the one i cleared, is this a glitch?

Ok Turuk, i didn't know, im kinda new to the forum
Last edited by Death1 on April 2nd, 2009, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

When posting in a thread, please do not double post but just edit your previous post to display the new information. Thank you.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Death1

Post by Death1 »

Is there any way to get rid of the poison? poison is really detrimental in this type of game, especially if there isnt a way i can get rid of it.

nvm, im in the town and found the poison dispeling potion
Last edited by Death1 on April 2nd, 2009, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Death1 wrote:I Cleared 2 levels, and tried to go back to the town,because i had been poisoned with no way to cure it, but when i went up the second level stairs, it sent me to an entirely different level than the one i cleared, is this a glitch?
ZAngband works like this. You don't go back to levels that you've previously cleared, rather each stair that you ascend/descend is actually a maze of stairs.

In Wesband if you clear all of the enemies out of a level, you won't see the level again, as long as you clear them in order.

I've been wondering about how I might want to do this in the end. Not making players waste time with stuff they've already seen is a huge goal, but I'm not sure if there is a better way to do this.

EDIT: Concerning poison, find a well, which will cure like a town does or carry some potions (bought in the temple). Unless you're a Troll, you'll have a potion to start out with. Right click and "Use" on yourself.

I do apologize for the lack of documentation. It's on the to-do list!
Death1

Post by Death1 »

ty Ken, it seems everything is working fine as far as bugs, all thats left is new features 8)

Do the enemies spawn gradually, or are they all there at the start, because i always seem to get surrounded when exploring. it seems the ai is different here, they seem to prefer to attack the leader rather than a 1hp henchmen.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

They are there from the start, but they don't all come at you at once. They start moving as soon as they're activated, which could be from you moving close to them. Or, if units of an opposing faction (orcs vs undead, for example) are close enough to fight, they'll be active, but they just might attack more opposing units.

Glad you like it.
Death1

Post by Death1 »

that answered all of my questions, i have a suggestion about the summons, maybe you would have to be close to lava etc. to summon a fire elemental, near water for a water elemental, you get the idea, if you did that you could increase to overall power of summons without them being game breakers.

if no one has suggested these before, i have an idea for a few spells,

Teleport: first cast, set up a warp point, further casts, dispel warp point, or warp to it.
Smash: turn a cave wall into cave
Barrier: create a cave wall that lasts 3 turns
MCP

Post by MCP »

So I was wondering, can I do this in WML:
I have one start map, or main map, and I have about a dozen other smaller maps. These smaller maps are entered on some event. So I can dynamically load some different map file and go back and forth between any of my maps right?

My goal is to have a 'big' map. When a battle or some event is encountered, enter a smaller 'battle' map, do some stuff, and when the battle is complete return to the 'big' map.

You seem to do this yes? When we step on a stair, we move to another map, and when we step on the same stairway, we go back.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

MCP: Yes, WML can do all that.

Death: If you take the Silver Order in the Mage line, you can do a little teleporting already. Good ideas for the rest.
Death1

Post by Death1 »

glad to contribute. 8)

does the silver order appear later? because its not on the list here.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

hmm I got stuck in menus...

on the village, after choosing my class, I explored the inventory and could never exit it, selecting weapons->melee->fist would not show anything but get you back to the step where you had to choose between melle and ranged in the menus. I didn't find a way to get back to the map :(

overall it looks good, though, I'll explore some more later
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Boucman wrote:hmm I got stuck in menus...

on the village, after choosing my class, I explored the inventory and could never exit it, selecting weapons->melee->fist would not show anything but get you back to the step where you had to choose between melle and ranged in the menus. I didn't find a way to get back to the map :(

overall it looks good, though, I'll explore some more later
Others have reported it: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 60#p344260
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 86#p342486

But it seems only a fraction of players are getting this, and I can't replicate it myself. I really don't know what to do. Maybe there's a problem with this code?

Code: Select all

#define ENDMENU
    [option]
        message ="&"+check.png+"="+_ "(End)"

[command]
            {CONSTRUCT_UNIT}
            {VARIABLE_OP upgrading add -1}
        [/command]
    [/option]
#enddef

#define CANCELMENU
    [option]
        message ="&"+x.png+"="+_ "(Cancel Changes)"

[command]
            {VARIABLE_OP upgrading add -1}
            [unstore_unit]
                variable=cancel_current_unit
            [/unstore_unit]
            {CLEAR_VARIABLE current_unit}
            {CLEAR_VARIABLE cancel_current_unit}
        [/command]
    [/option]
#enddef
Or maybe I should take the macros out and just include the code over and over again?

EDIT: If you wanted to try again, I removed the macro and just put it in straight and then uploaded it to the server (the code in question is in the era, not the campaign). No idea what to try other than that.

What OS are you using? Doing a quick post search makes me think you're using linux. Is this right? At least one of the other players with the problem is on linux.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

new version fixed it apparently...

this is weird. Macro shouldn't have that sort of effect...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Just did a quick local test (running 1.6+svn from yesterday's checkout), and I'm not getting any weapons equipped (all that appears are the fist & rock). The store doesn't sell anything, either.

Closing the inventory menu item a second time quits wesnoth to the desktop with the console message: sdl_utils.cpp:286: surface scale_surface(const surface&, int, int, bool): Assertion `h >= 0' failed.

I watched other people play it successfully, though.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Boucman: Strange indeed. Maybe I'll run a distro sometime to try to isolate what happened.

Thanks for testing it out.

Rhuvaen: Ow.....Maybe I need to run linux to test this out sooner than I thought.