MP coop campaign: World Conquest

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Grand Marshal Aditya

Re: MP coop campaign: World Conquest

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

BTW, amazing campaign...lots of good stuff. I play this regularly instead of single player campaigns :lol2: .

Just a suggestion:

How about the items have a short description that pops up when you hold the mouse over it? Because I know that a few people, including me, have found it difficult to understand what certain items do.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: there is a strange glitch, which I liked :P.. that caused all my units that were on the map in the second mission to be doubled, including my leader...While this gave me 4 sorcerors and 2 deathblades with arcane resistance and attacks and a few close to levelling units X2, I don't know if this was a purposeful reason...both my allies got the same effect too.
Last edited by Grand Marshal Aditya on April 5th, 2009, 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

Great campaign! I've been playing it for the past few days, and having a lot of fun.

Just a few things to mention:

1. If you choose rebels and get a red mage leader, it makes you loyalist. I think (not entirely sure) that it does this too if you choose white mage.
2. walking corpse, goblin spearmen heroic units: may I suggest removing these? Or if not removing, give them a hit point boost so that they'll be a bit better than they currently are, stuck as level 1s -_-;
Aekar

Post by Aekar »

You did a fantastic job, a friend and me really loved playing World Conquest for days.

My only suggestion:
Please put a script to give a final score.

Like keeping track of how successful we were:
Each of the six scenarios give a score (number of remaining turns * difficulty multiplier)
At the end of the campaign, we make a final score that would be the sum of all the scenario scores.
Score would also be more accurate if it is defined according to the number of human players.

And we are given with an "Invader Rating":
From "Peaceful Neighbor", "Angry Neighbor" for the worst scores...
...to "Imperial Tyran" or any other highscore title you would think about.

Example:
Difficulty multipliers:
x1 for level 1
x2 for level 2
x3 for level 3
x4 for level 4

Percent modifier:
score modified by +20 % per AI in the team

Example of a score:
Difficulty is level 3. Two players, one AI.
10 turns advance at scenario 1 (30 points)
8 turns advance at scenario 2 (16 points)
15 turns advance at scenario 3, 4, 5, 6. (180 points)
Which sums up to 226 points.
Bonus for having made this with an AI is 45 points (20 %).
Final score is 271 points.
From 250 to 300, we have the title of "Invasion Skilled General".

Another example:
Difficulty is level 4. Three players.
8 turns advance at scenario 1 (32 points)
6 turns advance at scenario 2 (24 points)
12 turns advance at scenario 3, 4, 5, 6. (192 points)
Which sums up to 248 points.
From 200 to 250, we have the title of "Invasion Commander".

This mod really needs such a thing.
This will nicely add up a wonderful replay value.
Actually, please tell me if you are unable to do such a thing, and I might think to contribute it myself to the mod.
tsr

Post by tsr »

@TL: there seems to be a problem with how the auto-levelings work. In a game I obs:ed the ai-sides got one super-unit (that need about 500xp for it's next amla) but not any other lvl3's.

/tsr
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

tsr wrote:@TL: there seems to be a problem with how the auto-levelings work. In a game I obs:ed the ai-sides got one super-unit (that need about 500xp for it's next amla) but not any other lvl3's.

/tsr
And this is a problem because why?
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I have been playing World Conquest obsessively for the past few weeks, by myself, playing all three sides. Yes, this is just as crazy as it sounds! I've played enough to actually start seeing Wesnoth units when I am not playing, which hasn't happened to me since I first played BFW in summer 2004.

So obviously, I like it.

I have two ideas/suggestions, both relatively minor. The first is that I wonder why the reef terrain is not used in the random map generator, as far as I can see.

The second question is why more non-faction mainline units aren't used, but for the player and for the enemies. Fighting with, or against, mud globs and scorpions, and other such units might add a nice challenge.

Of course, maybe you shouldn't improve it...I have to graduate college, you know!
:)
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
tsr

Post by tsr »

Glowing Fish wrote:
tsr wrote:@TL: there seems to be a problem with how the auto-levelings work. In a game I obs:ed the ai-sides got one super-unit (that need about 500xp for it's next amla) but not any other lvl3's.

/tsr
And this is a problem because why?
I should have phrased that better: is the above behavior really intentional?

Imho (who hasn't even played the campaign) I think that it would be more challenging - and in line with the rest of the campaign - if the AI's got several lvl3's instead of one super-unit and a buckload of lvl2's. Also looking at the code it seems that was TLs original intention.

/tsr
JW

Post by JW »

Is TL gone? :(
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

JW wrote:Is TL gone? :(
Yeah, he's been on a Wesbreak for over a month. Maybe he WML Pioneered too far and got lost.
Coin-coin_le_Canapin

World Conquest issue

Post by Coin-coin_le_Canapin »

Hi !

I've tried to play this multiplayer campaign with a friend.
The campaign worked well, until the 3rd scenario.
When it starts, there is 2 different bugs :
My friend see no faction in the room before launching the game, and when started, the 3rd player (computer) suddently disappear from the map on the first turn, but beeing still listed on the alt-s menu.

OR

The factions are correctly listed, and my friend crashes on starting with this error message :
load_game_failed: Attempt to create a unit on the recall list for side 3, which does not have a recall list.
If he creates the game from his own savegame, the issue is the same except that I might crash with the message, not him.

I tried to control the 3rd player on the 2nd scenario at the end, before launching the 3rd scenario.

Then the game work, but I control 2 of the players, which I don't want.
Can I just let the computer control him during the game, without leaving the game and lose control of the first player at same time ?

Also, I saved the game on the 2nd scenario, but after killing the enemy computer.
Now, me and my friend have 2 main heros on the 3rd scenario.
Not very important, I just hope it won't crash the game at the end of 3rd scenario (if we can finish it...).

Does someone have any solution to save our multiplayer game?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Moved to the thread for the add-on itself. This way the author can also track if people are having the same issues or difficulties over and over.

Not to mention, TL is on Wesbreak, so he is most likely to see it here when he returns.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
JW

Post by JW »

I think this needs to be put on the 1.7 server. I might see if I can figure out how...but it's very unlikely I will since I only know simple WML. I will try though.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

JW wrote:I think this needs to be put on the 1.7 server. I might see if I can figure out how...but it's very unlikely I will since I only know simple WML. I will try though.
You should only have to make the .pbl and upload it.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Coin-coin_le_Canapin: will you please attach the savegame(s)? euschn is working on fixing some of the problems with save games and multiplayer campaigns. It might be helpful for him to have access to the file.

EDIT: You can post the save here. Any other folks out there with broken savegames from this or other multiplayer campaigns could also post them there. That way euschn will be sure to see them.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
JW

Post by JW »

I've uploaded this to the 1.7 server. It should work now too. If TL comes back I will gladly send him the .pbl file so he can get back to developing this.