Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: Mermen: Fighter Portrait

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I believe the point of muscle-shaped armour was not to get the metal as close to the body as possible (on the contrary, some padding in between would add protection) but for looks. Therefore, I doubt they weren't all that tight-fitting and more often than not, the muscles on the armour were more pronounced than the real ones of the wearer.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Bronze armour with that kind of "muscle-design" on it is the typical roman-greek thing, Those armours were custom made for each soldier.
Muscle design yes, but my point is that the muscle design on the merman is far too detailed and far too precise. The pictures show a generic muscle shape, not the details on exact muscles that the picture shows.

In other words, have the muscle design on the armor isn't the problem, it's that the details go the point where it looks like actual muscles and not detailing on armor. Remove a few of the detail lines in the stomach area and probably the belly button, and it will probably look pretty good.
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:Muscle design yes, but my point is that the muscle design on the merman is far too detailed and far too precise. The pictures show a generic muscle shape, not the details on exact muscles that the picture shows.
Actually that´s wrong. Of course, there were variations in different areas and periods, but at their most extreme the body armor was as detailed as the most detailed ancient greek marble sculpture, which means a lot more detailed and realistic than the mermans armor. Like this for instance:

At other periods the armors were more simple, using lines in the armor to define the different muscles, like the impression in the drawing.

So even in the real world, where mermen don´t usually exist, that type of armor is not unrealistic.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

I'm surprised that only a few noticed the gills on the initiate. Sure they aren't that visible right now but during the plain line work phase they were quite plain to see. I'd rather go with TSI's explanation else I would have to go back and fix up the Initiate as well... But if it's a big no-no I'll remove them.
i really didn't notice the gills on the mermaid - strange. but they are no real problem and tsi's explanation seems fine. please keep them for consistency, but don't make them too important.

regarding the body armour feel free to do as you like, take inspiration from the historical models but don't feel bound to them...
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Well, I'll have to trust that once it's colored and shaded it will look quite nice. The artist, and all the artists who contribute work to this game have long proven themselves, so I'll shut up and let you do what you best.