Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Cold terrain

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:OK. The images in this tgz have the same names as the originals, but they are in a folder called "snow."
Great, thanks. I've already gotten them to pretty much work except for the castle-to-water stuff. I'll drop a note here when I've sorted out the rest and committed them.

I don't think you've done mainline contributions before, right? If so, tell me how you'd like to appear in the credits and I'll add you in when I commit the tiles.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The weapons and armour of the Drakes are quite sophisticated, so their castles should be too. From the wiki:
Wiki wrote: The only technology drakes value is armour- and weapon-smithing, and neither know or need other science and culture besides this. However the few implements they do fashion are almost unrivaled in quality, only matched by those produced in the finest Dwarven foundries.
It doesn't mention buildings, but if Drakes were to build castles or fortresses at all, one would presume they'd give them as much attention as to their weapons and armour.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Alternatively, they could be the sort of culture that views hiding behind walls as cowardly and dishonorable--real warriors fight it out on the field of battle using their own strength alone...
Hence the 10% defense bonus from castles ;)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I won't touch the drakes, but I would imagine their dwellings to be complicated.

As for northerners, maybe this concept is more acceptable? (I know some details are missing or need to be fixed.)
Attachments
orcshot4.png
orcshot4.png (446.55 KiB) Viewed 6546 times
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Wow, that castle rocks! :D
I can't wait to see that in the game.
Check out my sprites!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks good, but maybe some nasty defensive spikes on the outside would be helpful (if it's possible ot have them outside but not in - i don't know much about how they work...). And again, i think that it still looks kinda cartoony. A bit more texture/noise would avoid that i think.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I agree about the stakes -- the castle represents well the technical level of orcs, but not their aggressive nature. Also, I think an earthen embankment below the wooden wall would be a good touch.

The stones definitely need some texture, and their shape is too crystalline. Smoothen the edges a bit.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I like it! Someone already commented on the crystalline nature of the rock, but besides that, it looks nice!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I like it. Personally, I'd vote against adding a bunch of spikies and stuff; it'd be nice to have it so that, even if it is intended as an orc castle, it would be plausible also for more primitive humans - there's often situations where you don't want to give them a full-fledged castle, but the encampment terrain signals just that - an encampment, a temporary structure. This could do nicely for something "in between".
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Here it is with a keep.
Attachments
orcshot6.png
orcshot6.png (516.51 KiB) Viewed 6146 times
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

That looks really cool, especially the keep :)

It's great to see some new castle variations, keep up the good work
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Very nice! I really look forward to being able to use this terrain in-game.

My only concern is that the keep isn't noticeable as a keep, per se... clearly something's going on in the middle of the castle, but at first glance it looked almost like it was just a ring of six castle hexes with dirt in the middle, not like there was a keep. Obviously upon further inspection it became clear that it's actually a keep in the middle, but it'd be nice if that could somehow be made obvious, so that someone just scanning across the map immediately notices "OK, keep located there", rather than having it not be immediately obvious...

Actually, it might work to make the floor of the keep stone (while leaving the floor of the rest of the castle dirt).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Much improved, though I'm afraid the stakes don't make much sense. First, they are usually the first line of the defence, so they would be better situated on the castle walls, rather than the keep. Second, they are so long and high that they seem to be there to repel an aerial attack. I think they would make more sense that is they were shorter and sticking out on the earth mound. The idea is that they make charges at the wall more difficult.

The stones still have some of crystalline feel, a bolder texturising might help with that. Use colour to make the surface look granular.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

turin wrote:Very nice! I really look forward to being able to use this terrain in-game.

My only concern is that the keep isn't noticeable as a keep, per se... clearly something's going on in the middle of the castle, but at first glance it looked almost like it was just a ring of six castle hexes with dirt in the middle, not like there was a keep. Obviously upon further inspection it became clear that it's actually a keep in the middle, but it'd be nice if that could somehow be made obvious, so that someone just scanning across the map immediately notices "OK, keep located there", rather than having it not be immediately obvious...

Actually, it might work to make the floor of the keep stone (while leaving the floor of the rest of the castle dirt).
That, or maybe just removing the wooden fences (maybe keeping some of those spear-like diagonal stakes) from between those big stones, making the keep more like a mound in the middle of the encampment. Of course when a side of a keep would be adjacent to other terrains, the wall would be drawn then on that side.

Or you could just make more those kind of horizontal/diagonal stakes around the keep walls, poking out from under the base of the current fences.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Something for castle designers to bear in mind:

Many old castles were built in instalments, sometimes over the course of centuries. In the case of Wesnoth, you get different races added to the mix as well. So while I'm not suggesting compromising a strong design, if you get a castle design that could mix easily with pre-existing designs with only a little extra effort, it might be worth ensuring that the designs actually can intermix.