Website Idea / Help

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TreeBearded

Website Idea / Help

Post by TreeBearded »

I really enjoy this game. I can't say enough great things about this project. I'm a big fan!

I'm finding that I'm getting bored of the same multilayer maps. I've thought about starting a web site. Lets call it Wesnoth Maps. This site would be a place for players to upload maps they've created. All maps would be judged in two ways. One by a panel of experienced players and hopefully a dev or two. The second would be an open vote to all registered users of the site. All maps would be available for download. They wouldn't be part of a map pack or era pack from the add-ons server. So they would have to be manual placed in the appropriate folders. Small task I think for most users of Wesnoth.

I feel this would help create more quality multilayer maps from which to choose from.

Problem - I've never programmed or done any HTML. However, I've supported end users at the help desk level and have a pretty good understanding how things transpire. I just haven't had the time to sit down and learn any of it. Would anyone be interested in starting this with me or at the very least send me in the right direction?

Thanks for any feedback and flames.
Unnheulu

Re: Website Idea / Help

Post by Unnheulu »

Add-ons server?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

xer wrote:Add-ons server?
How is that helpful at all? He's looking to set up a system by which a panel of users votes on various maps as to how well they would work for multiplayer, as well as having a vote from all the users. The top maps could then be placed into an add-on for distribution on the add-on server. He did say all maps could make it in there, but then then the voting system would only serve to highlight which maps play the best, or are the most fun, and users might as well surmise that on their own. Rather, you could have users test maps and if a map gets enough votes it could be included in the next map pack release.

This would require enough users willing to dedicate the time to developing and testing maps, as well as a fairly well-outlined yet simple system for the voting process on whatever site you use.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

TreeBearded wrote:This site would be a place for players to upload maps they've created. All maps would be judged in two ways. One by a panel of experienced players and hopefully a dev or two. The second would be an open vote to all registered users of the site. All maps would be available for download. They wouldn't be part of a map pack or era pack from the add-ons server. So they would have to be manual placed in the appropriate folders. Small task I think for most users of Wesnoth.
Frankly, I don't see the point. Maps can be developed and refined here on the forums just fine, and they can be packed as add-ons and put on the add-on server just fine. Why would you specifically want to create another layer to the process in the form of a dedicated site through which all that happens? Also making a new map usually requires several iterations of feedback from experienced players and corresponding changes before they're good, so the site would need to support that too.

All in all, I just doubt it'd be much more convenient to do the mapmaking and judging process through a dedicated site, when we already have these forums here which are perfectly capable of doing the job. Not to mention that the add-on server is the natural place via which to distribute the maps (not individual simple maps, but arranging them to packs shouldn't be a problem).
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Oh, i didnt notice that^^ Just thought he meant a place to upload maps xD
TreeBearded

Post by TreeBearded »

Sorrry for the long delay in reply. RL was busy.

I think that the real issue in concern is one of control. I'm not looking to take control away from what is already established.

In my expereince with map packs I find that they usually contain one great map and the a lot of maps that aren't so great. Other times the map pack has a great map and then countless copies or variations of that map. I'm left with a bunch of maps that I really don't care to have listed. I guess I can go and manually take out the maps I dont like. If I'm going to do that anyway why not just have single maps listed somwhere that I can manually install. I'd be able to find the best of the best voted on by all users instead of dl a bunch of maps Im not going to use anyway. This would also help novice map users be able to see what is a good map and what isn't a good map. The best of the best could then be put in map packs that really are outstanding.

The core maps are really top notch. I'd like to find more top notch maps because even top notch maps can get old after awhile.
Radament

Post by Radament »

Good maps are like little plants that ripen in the forums, where you can pick them, so I don't really see the problem. IMO a website is superfluous, as there simply aren't enough maps being made anyway.
TreeBearded

Post by TreeBearded »

How do I find maps on the forums? I'm very new to the forums.
TreeBearded

Post by TreeBearded »

I see a ton of great scenario's, campaigns and units and stuff. Is there a place for just plain multiplayer maps? I guess I'll do a search.
Radament

Post by Radament »

Just browse the multiplayer development forums. Coupla examples from a quick glance:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25291

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24620
Adellion

Post by Adellion »

IMO I would personally support the idea...shows you whats hot and whats not and i would rather take a voting poll than see who actually posts in the forums opinion