Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Corvvs' Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits: Merman Hunter

Post by Turuk »

Along with Skizzaltix, not only does it appear to be solid all the way through, the surface does not appear to be very... hard. It almost reminds me of bread, given the colors used (and the impression that it has a softer surface).
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Thanks for the help. I fiddled with the armor (i.e. redid it). There is new linework, but feel free to ignore it as there are some serious flaws I have yet to address.
Attachments
merman_hunter_portrait_small.png
merman_hunter_portrait_small.png (106.18 KiB) Viewed 5241 times
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Better, much better, though the light source on the armor still seems a bit too extreme, going from really dark to white? Perhaps TSI or one of the art devs can offer a better opinion on it, maybe it's just me. Beyond that, it seems as if everything else is off limits to comment on. :P
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Turuk's right. You're pillowing the armour to some extent - it's fine to have that sort of brightness variation, but you shouldn't the highlight surrounded entirely by shadows, particularly not at this angle.

Curved surfaces can be awkward, and you're nearly there, but you need to make the highlight a little bigger (not the specular necessarily, just the highlight).

Beyond that, your line weights looks very good, particularly around his upper arm and torso, but they seem to be pretty much pure black. They should be dark blue or bluish purple.

Keep it up. This is looking excellent =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Thanks guys. Update:

-Image removed.-
Last edited by Corvvs on March 19th, 2009, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Again. Moved the highlight per a discussion on IRC with TSI.
Attachments
merman_hunter_portrait_mkII.png

Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Hey wotcha doing on my turf? :wink:

Looks promising so far, with some minor anatomical issues. Most visible (to me) the palm of his upper hand that's lacking some definition, but it's WIP so you might not have given thought to that yet.

Whats those wrinkles you have on his hips/legs? It's interesting, if a bit weird. And it kind of draws the eye.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Sleepwalker wrote:Whats those wrinkles you have on his hips/legs? It's interesting, if a bit weird. And it kind of draws the eye.
If I remember correctly per something that Corvvs mentioned on IRC, they are just a somewhat idea/placeholder lines until he can spend the time to factor in a suitably fishy bottom. ;)
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

What Turuk said. I'll finish the top half first, then fix that. Palm given a bit more love; more armor done.
Attachments
merman_hunter_portrait_mkII.png

Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

*bump* :)

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Eh, has been awhile since I've done anything arty, but here goes:

1. The way the pauldron comes over the chest looks off, though I can't explain it.

2. Is the highlights on the pauldron from a secondary lightsource? Your main source seems below and from our left, but the highlights make it look like there is an equally strong light shining directly on the pauldron from the right, yet this isn't reflected places it seems it should...

3. The hand, although better, needs more definition, perhaps showing the lines on the palm--that will help it look less blobby (?) Also, it seems to be pn the same plane as the arm, but from trying that pose myself, the hand is angling back some--I think that shading can make this clearer?

Sorry, but wanted to give you some advice ^_^
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well