Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by kitty »

put him in!

(yeah, more gold trim would be possible, but he is already pretty ornate in comparison with the rest of the loys)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

kitty wrote:(yeah, more gold trim would be possible, but he is already pretty ornate in comparison with the rest of the loys)
I did consider more gold, but as you say, he already displays a lot of wealth for a soldier of the rank. We wouldn't want him to be mistaken for a marshall :P
Plus, etching is a welcome change when it comes to embellishment, something I haven't used at all for the loys until now.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Committed. On second look, i think i'm wanting gold solely cos it's on the sprite. The etching looks great.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Pipeman

Post by Pipeman »

Boucman wrote: Pipeman : this has already been discussed...
You mean LordBobs post from Feb 10 ? There he wrotes:
LordBob wrote: Master bowman:
- moving his sword to the right should dispell the feeling of hindrance
- will go for a slightly longer arrow
Before:
After:

He changed the arrow, yes. But I cannot see the announced change moving the sword to the right, so much for that. Or you mean something else?
Anyway, the masterbowman looks precious! I like him.
"Wenn der Bauer im Strudel mäht und die Wolken schwer zu Tale höngen, dann brauch auch du nicht lang, Mariechen, zu deinem Pferdchen kümmen."

- Vermutlich von C. Morgenstern
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

What he means is that the whole issue of sword placement has been discussed. If you can find the time to go back and read the old posts to pull out quotes on the arrow length, surely you can find the ones on sword placement as well, and why it is staying where it is.

Leave it alone.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Actually I don't think I've said the last word about this. I gave it some thought, but there's no good position for that sword. If I put it in front of a leg, it would be worse. If I put it on the side, it might get caught when he's using the bow... For every position there's a reason not to. If it can make you feel better, imagine that this is only while he's shooting and he'll move it to the side when fighting or walking.

Anyway moving that sword is a lot of work for very little profit, so the fact I didn't do it meant I dropped the idea altogether.

Edit - Re: Ardent. The subject might deserve further comment that will eventually benefit future portraits, but you have to understand I won't change the masterbowman. Period.
Last edited by LordBob on March 15th, 2009, 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ardent

Post by Ardent »

Actually moving it to his left side should work quite OK. He can cross-draw the sword and still, while the bow is raised it isn't a obstacle for shooting.
Perhaps somebody doing archery could comment better on the topic where the sword would be comfy whilst shooting.
You are an Orcish Grunt: cheap, powerful, but effective.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

More rider lineart. Both are (very ugly) preliminary sketches, but this is to show the general composition of the portraits

First the cavalier, second the knight
Attachments
human-cavalier.png
human-knight.png
cretin

Post by cretin »

hmmm the knights lance is going to be hard to fit into the picture. how do you plan on doing that? or are you.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I presume, exactly the way it is there - by cropping it off on the left of the finalised image.

LordBob: are you sure you've got the order of your names right?

The Cavalryman is the level 1, the Dragoon the level 2 and the Cavalier the level 3...

Because the sketch you've provided there looks significantly less heavily armoured than the previous lines...

The knight looks great. I really like womble helms =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Lord.Bedham

Post by Lord.Bedham »

The Knigth is just, wow. :shock: And its only the sketch!
Look like one of those Hundred year war French knights!
Matches perfect!
I gonna club you in`da face
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

I also love the Knight. :shock:
I can't wait to see the finished version! Këëp üp thë grëät wörk.
Check out my sprites!
Pipeman

Post by Pipeman »

I accompany Lord.Bedham and woodmouse. I love the knight! His helmet, the lance and the detail of the lance-hook. I hope the is little need to change datails of the knight. He appears nice yet. Keep it up, master!
"Wenn der Bauer im Strudel mäht und die Wolken schwer zu Tale höngen, dann brauch auch du nicht lang, Mariechen, zu deinem Pferdchen kümmen."

- Vermutlich von C. Morgenstern
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

TSI got it right: the knight's lance will be exactly the way it is now - remember I'm allowed a crop on the outer side.

As to the cavalier, I think you're being mislead by the "face". I'm trying a helm with a man-shaped visor, but the angle might be wrong. He also has couters, gauntlets...But mostly I thought an increase in level shouldn't benefit the rider alone : his horse will be heavily armoured :wink:
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

On the cavalier the horse's hindquarters seem to jut out a bit much - I've only _very_ rarely been around horses so IDK precisely how big one would be with relation to the rider; it just seems odd to me.

Also, what do the different colors signify? I know they'll all be turned to black and then painted the appropriate colors as it progresses; I'm just curious.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits