Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looking good - i like the moon look on the second staff. But does the first one have horns o_O?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:Looking good - i like the moon look on the second staff. But does the first one have horns o_O?
It's a hat. Of sorts. Like a circlet; most of it is hidden under the hair.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

*My two cents.*
Jetryl wrote:Perhaps silvery skin colors? (liking this idea)
I like this idea because not only does it add a bit of variety, as you noted, but it might help to emphasize that they deal with magic and a bit more otherworldly than the standard merman/mermaid. You know, since a creature with a humanoid upper body and a giant fish tail for a lower body has a standard. :P
Jetryl wrote:Occasionally Black Lacquered with silver trim armor? <- likely
I wish I could say something on this besides it would look cool, and the contrast would set off nicely against the blue skin.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

I *really* like them! :shock:

Some experimentation with differently coloured scales could make them even more awesome! But I cringe at the thought of purple skin for the mermaids - please don't! Everything else!
And I have some doubts about the moon staff top. Thespaceinvader introduced the moon crescent as the symbol of the saurians and to keep the cultures visually differentiated it would be nice if you could come up with something else. (albeit it looks very nice...)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I definitely see the "sameness" problem, but I don't think it's just a matter of color scheme (though that's part of it, and diversifying it would help). Make their lower bodies not all be in the same pose! Right now they all follow the same S-shape and their tail-fins look pretty much identical (except for the ones on the higher levels being slightly bigger). Mix it up a bit - use different S-shapes, like, one where the tip of the tail is pointing NW, another where it's pointing N, another where it's pointing NE... IMO this would do a lot towards making the race as a whole look more diverse/less boring. What you have right now, after all, is along the same lines as having the Loyalists all be standing in the same pose, with only their weapons, armor, and the position of their arms different.

(Other than that, looks great. And the above's not a criticism of any of the merfolk in particular, it's just a suggestion for how to make them more distinct from each other. Feel free to ignore it if it sounds stupid.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Totally off-topic (of merfolk) tidbit; I've been working on a slight tweak of all our cavalry lines:
- I'd like the horses to all be about the same size as our wolves.
- Our cavalry have always looked odd, too. This is partly because the horses have incorrect anatomy (esp. in the legs).
- It's also because humans aren't in a "sitting" position with their legs bent at the knee, on a horse - they're actually in what's almost a standing position, except that their legs are straddled in a wide stance. Vertically, they're only slightly "shorter" in this stance than a standing person (maybe 10%). Not shorter by 1/3 to 1/2, like they've almost been on the current horses.

Plus, this is just a cleanup of the spriting technique, and some other niceties. I've tried to keep the costuming more or less identical besides cleanups, but it doesn't hurt for it to be public so lordbob can see it for his work on horsemen portraits.

This is all I have done thus far, but I recently got the knight line finished (no lancer yet).
Attachments
Horseman-Line-Demo.png
Horseman-Line-Demo.png (6.17 KiB) Viewed 4621 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'm a little concerned that all their stances are essentially identical - it's clear what the different units are by the gear and the horse colours, but some variety might be interesting =)

Not sure how to go about it though. Also, i think the rearmost foot of the horseman needs to come forwards a bit - currently, its back feet aren't parallel with its front feet, which makes it appear slightly bent in the middle.

I love how hefty the GK looks.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

GK is really nice; but the Paladin probably is too similar to Knight. Im surprised you didnt add any paladinish/templarish bling to him, especially contrasted with how very (over)decorated your mermen were?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Turin wrote:Make their lower bodies not all be in the same pose!
I'll give it a fair try before animating - I know at least that "straight back" is not workable; a different phase of the sine wave might work, but what we have was hard to get.
kitty wrote:And I have some doubts about the moon staff top. Thespaceinvader introduced the moon crescent as the symbol of the saurians and to keep the cultures visually differentiated it would be nice if you could come up with something else. (albeit it looks very nice...)
Ah, yes. I'll change that, I agree with that plan.
kitty wrote:I *really* like them! :shock:

Some experimentation with differently coloured scales could make them even more awesome! But I cringe at the thought of purple skin for the mermaids - please don't! Everything else!
:lol2: You thought I was talking about mermaids... I was actually talking about the whole race. Tasteful purple is really hard to pull off, though, I definitely agree. One finds themselves constantly wondering "Can I really do this? Or do I look like some sort of gay superhero?"

:roll: More seriously, here are a range of tries at different colors; I felt like goofing around with this as I worked on mermaids. The purple no matter what I do to it tends to have a jokerish vibe, on account of the green hair. (The upper far right purple is also just ridiculous.) Green hair isn't necessarily mandatory, that could be changed, I didn't do it because I just ran short on time. It might work if I tone it down a bit / play around with it.

I like the upper mid-left (teal skin with silver armor). Also like the lower-far-right one. (silver) I think there's a good possibility of doing the silver-fish look on the Siren. I also think I might try the "lacquer" look on the javelineer.
Attachments
Triton-comparison.png
Triton-comparison.png (14.29 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

It's a pity we can't see both sides of the armour - ocean colouration would be an interesting twist - light on the front and dark on he back, for camouflage...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Most of the work done on the diviner... hadn't gotten around to the staff fix for the priestess.
Attachments
mermaids.png
mermaids.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 4238 times
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Wew, these new sprites are impressive. Dropping by to say thanks for showing the new riders, it'll help over the next few weeks. :)
Is that a cape behind the paladin ? If it can help, I intend to portray him with some sort of magical gear (necklace ? runes ?) in regards to his arcane-resilience and a backpack on his horse where he carries his healing material.

I'm also quite fond of the merfolk sprites. I'd like to work on them once the loys are done (either that or the orcs). My current favorites are the teal and silver, as far skin is concerned.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Great work Jetryl.

I'm a fan of the two silvers, the one on the lower far right and the upper far left. The darkened armor fits as well, but the gold armor might contrast nicely with the silver skin.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

LordBob wrote:Wew, these new sprites are impressive. Dropping by to say thanks for showing the new riders, it'll help over the next few weeks. :)
Is that a cape behind the paladin ? If it can help, I intend to portray him with some sort of magical gear (necklace ? runes ?) in regards to his arcane-resilience and a backpack on his horse where he carries his healing material.
Thanks. :oops: Yeah, the paladin has always had a cape, but in the current batch of sprites, it's been invisible on everything except the movement frames. Paladins and grand knights are the only ones with capes. (And the elven rider/outrider.)
LordBob wrote:I'm also quite fond of the merfolk sprites. I'd like to work on them once the loys are done (either that or the orcs). My current favorites are the teal and silver, as far skin is concerned.
Cool. Thanks for the input on the colors, it definitely helps.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Never fear, citizens. Mer-bat-maid will save you!

:oops: I couldn't resist, sorry. :lol2:

Back to our regular programming...
Attachments
mer-bat-maid.png
mer-bat-maid.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 3881 times