SLOW Performance Issues: post here to report

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
5dPZ

Re: SLOW Performance Issues: post here to Help

Post by 5dPZ »

puller wrote:
5dPZ wrote:I am using a wireless router.

When I run Wesnoth from my desktop which is hooked up with router using cable, it runs absolutely ok.

But if I run it by my laptops (both of them), it is really slow. By slow, it means my turn proceeds ok, but my game stuck in the player ahead of me. For example, if I am side 3, I will play normally, chat normally in my turn. But in side 4's turn, side 1's turn or side 2's turn, my game will stuck. I can chat but no 1 can hear me, I can't see other ppl's chat, too. I will need to wait for about 5 minute, then suddenly the game runs smoothly again, with all ppl's play and chat popping up. Then it's my turn again, the cycle repeats (that means I always stuck at other ppl's turn for 5 min each round). In other people's view, they waiting at my turn, and I am not making any moves for that time period. The game timer won't start counting down until I see my turn (not they see my turn).

Please tell me is it my router's problem, or is there some sort of setting I need to change.

Btw, my laptops are running WinXP, and I can download at 200kb/s and I can play other online game such as World of Warcraft with no lagging problem.

Thanks.
I am having the same problem.

Ubuntu 8.10
Dell 5120 Notebook
1GB Ram
Core2Duo T5450
Connected to the network through my wireless router.
Wesnoth 1.4.5.

I cannot end a match in multiplayer.
I start playing and everything goes ok for the first 15 minutes.

Then I stop seeing game updates and messages. Some times, after many minutes, I get control back, other times I have to quit the game.
If I quit, I see the list of game in the "game lobby" after 20-30 seconds, not immediately as it happens normally.

I think it is a sort of connection problem to the game server.

When everything was frozen, I checked my incoming/outgoing traffic statistics, and I was exchanging only a few Bytes. So I made a connection test, but it performed well, both in upload and download. Simply the game was not sending traffic or asking for it.

Thanks.
I actually find a "cure" for this yesterday (not confirmed, but you can try).

I turned on the "Show all lobby join" option in Preferences, and I had no lags anymore on my laptops. It seems like turning on this option can keep forcing the information to be sent and received. I played two perfect no-lag games after figuring this out.

If some1 else is having the same problem, try this and see if it is really a cure.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Do you have a large friends or ignore list?
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
5dPZ

Post by 5dPZ »

Soliton wrote:Do you have a large friends or ignore list?
No, I don't use friend/ignore list. I think this can "cure" the problem because it constantly acquire info from the server.

When i used my laptop, if the option is off (don't show lobby join), when my game stuck as described above, I checked my wireless connection, it just send/receive 1 bit of info every sec (aka, in the idle state).

But after I turned on lobby joins, there is no "stuck" anymore, and the connection constantly have 100-200 bit of info sent/receive per second.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

5dPZ wrote:
No, I don't use friend/ignore list. I think this can "cure" the problem because it constantly acquire info from the server.
No, it doesn't. It just configures the display, the server sends whether you care or not.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
puller

Post by puller »

My lists are empty :) !
Thanks.
Pk_JoA

Post by Pk_JoA »

Hi, I downloaded wesntoh 1.5.12 (aka wesnoth 1.6rc1) a few days ago and I realize that I have very low FPS sometimes. They are totally random, and are no all the time (2 or 3 turns, and then it come back to normal for a while)... I tried playing multiplayer(on-line and off-line), with or without fog, with or without addons, campaings and I have the same problem everywhere. The game it is playable, but it is kinda of annoying...

My computer is:
GPU: ATI 4850 TOXIC!
CPU: AMD 5600+
RAM : 4 GB
Monitor: 22 inches, 16:10 (1680x1050 resolution)

I have no troubles with the stable version (1.4). Yes, I know that it is an RC and that it is possible that there where problems... just letting you know so you can fix it for the 1.6 stable releases.

I generally play with Compiz Fusion activated, changing desktops frequently to see the IM or firefox when it is the other player turn. The aplications that are generally open are: Banshee, Firefox, Pidgin and sometimes Evolution.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

And... what operating system are you using?
Are you using the official build or did you download the source and build it yourself?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Pk_JoA

Post by Pk_JoA »

I am on Ubuntu 8.10 and I compile the game my self with the clasic "./configure, make, make install".
In_My_CrossHairs

Post by In_My_CrossHairs »

I'm baaack......
Ok, Here's the specs

500mhz Processor (Intel Pentium..... 4 I think)
256mb RAM
Windows 98SE
16mb Graphics card ( just thought I'd throw that in there, just for luck)

That's it.

so....... can I run it?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy.
Friedrich Nietzsche
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

In_My_CrossHairs wrote:I'm baaack......
Ok, Here's the specs

500mhz Processor (Intel Pentium..... 4 I think)
256mb RAM
Windows 98SE
16mb Graphics card ( just thought I'd throw that in there, just for luck)

That's it.

so....... can I run it?
Most likely not... Windows 98? At least upgrade that. :-P I think you might need a little bit more ram to run it, as well.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
In_My_CrossHairs

Post by In_My_CrossHairs »

Ok then. Actually, the absolute minimum RAM you can have while playing Wesnoth is about 96mb, of which I have in my old laptop (found 32mb of that in my previous laptop I had 3 years ago). It runs fine with 96mb (Except for minor amounts of lag when recruiting units). Or maybe I'm just lucky :P
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy.
Friedrich Nietzsche
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

In_My_CrossHairs wrote:Ok then. Actually, the absolute minimum RAM you can have while playing Wesnoth is about 96mb, of which I have in my old laptop (found 32mb of that in my previous laptop I had 3 years ago). It runs fine with 96mb (Except for minor amounts of lag when recruiting units). Or maybe I'm just lucky :P
Well, then at least update it to Win XP.

But hey, I gotta congratulate you for not having Mil...
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Max

Post by Max »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:Well, then at least update it to Win XP.
that's really bad advice...
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

For the second time today to all forum users, leave personal opinions on potential tangents to yourself.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The windows 9x series is not supported, but it seems that with KernelEx it can be made to work.

Windows XP will run on your system, but it could be a tad slow.