Request For Simple Dwarves

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
AT

Request For Simple Dwarves

Post by AT »

In line with conversation with Dave and some of the ideas in this thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1731 , I am planning on submtting a patch that gives the Dwarvish Fighter an second attack; Warhammer (or Runic Hammer or some cooler name).

As such, I would like to request a unit animation for an attack with a warhammer, and posisbly a revised base unit picture with a hammer on his belt.

Anyone willing to make this quickly?
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
AT

never mind

Post by AT »

Never mind, I used by company's copy of Photoshop, and pressed the "Make Dwarvish Attack Animation" button.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Re: never mind

Post by Ayin »

AT wrote:Never mind, I used by company's copy of Photoshop, and pressed the "Make Dwarvish Attack Animation" button.
Mhh, Seems that Photoshop is not that great at drawing dwarves *grin*

OK, I didn't really like the image you proposed on Savannah, so here is a counter-proposal:
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

The same dwarf, but with a big swing. Yeah.
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

The same dwarf, with a chicken.
AT

Might

Post by AT »

Now that this is resolved, we might want this moved to Off Topic, as im not sure i can resist posting some more of these :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Hey. Uh, did anyone not notice the runemaster line?
Neorice and I have been revising the first/last levels with better hair/costuming.

If the dwarves are to have a hammer unit, I think they would look nicer. I'm biased, obviously, but hey...

I'll post them here, I guess.

--------------

Also, I don't think the fighter should get a choice of melee attacks, unless he switches his shield for a hammer. However, it might be nice to give him throwing axes or throwing hammers.

The dwarves need a unit with multiple missile attacks - not nearly as powerful as the thunderers in damage, and not pierce, but I think that thrown hammers might be great against undead, as the dwarves' melee attack is useless - the undead do more damage than they do, leading to somewhat pyrhhic battles.

The runemaster line would still be useful then, as he would be able to contend with the undead archers and such, who could counter the ranged attacks of the dwarven fighter with more powerful attacks, but would be unable to do anything against the melee attacks of the runemasters.
Last edited by Jetrel on August 14th, 2004, 6:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
AT

Runemastr

Post by AT »

I liked the Runemaster line alot, but I got offical clearance to add hammer to fighter, not to add a unit of my choice.

I took the hammer swing from the Runemaster, actaully. But Ayin's is the once getting used (if any get used.)
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I disagree with this. Dwarvish Fighters are pretty darn poweful anyway, especially in cave and mountain. If you want to do this, I suggest you reduce the power of the Fighter's axe.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
AT

Post by AT »

The only thing (in terms of balance) this changes is that it incorperates the Thug into Fighter. The fighter is more powerful, but the Thug disappears. Net gain for Knaglon faction?

About 20% net defence.

But yes, if this patch is accepted, the Fighter will be something that will need to be feared. As it should be.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I made some dwarfwielding a hammer shown at http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0 if it helps. You are welcome to reuse the hammer and hammer throwing part if you want.
I will rework this dwarf and my other dwarf units later, after I'm done with most on the underground terrain.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Jetrel

Re: Runemaster

Post by Jetrel »

AT wrote:I liked the Runemaster line alot, but I got offical clearance to add hammer to fighter, not to add a unit of my choice.

I took the hammer swing from the Runemaster, actaully. But Ayin's is the once getting used (if any get used.)
Random thing worth noting - the hammer swing ayin made is better. My copying it verbatim would be impractical, but in my work with the female mages, I have learned how to work in that style, which is more appropriate for the game when it is a non-magical strike.

I will revise the runemaster line to use such a thing (Easy - 1 frame/level).

As previously stated, I support the addition of an impact RANGED attack for the fighter. But not melee. I will make ranged graphics, I think.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The Runemaster tree is still being considered for inclusion, however it was already agreed by developers some time ago that a good way to make Dwarves distinctive from other races was to make them have multiple melee attacks of different types.

We see Dwarves as the kind of creatures that would carry around multiple weapons, of different types, and be skilled in the use of all of them.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote:a good way to make Dwarves distinctive from other races was to make them have multiple melee attacks of different types.

We see Dwarves as the kind of creatures that would carry around multiple weapons, of different types, and be skilled in the use of all of them.
I concur.

- Miyo
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Dave wrote:We see Dwarves as the kind of creatures that would carry around multiple weapons, of different types, and be skilled in the use of all of them.
I like that, too :)