Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Post by Blarumyrran »

i for one liked the original hand movement more
& i really cannot notice the difference with the head
& your edit has some weird stuff going on with the breasts (like a tiny mouth appearing on it)?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Putting deserter's edit aside... isn't the movement of the breasts a bit too noticeable in Jetryl's animation?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Shadow Master wrote:Putting deserter's edit aside... isn't the movement of the breasts a bit too noticeable in Jetryl's animation?
Meh... it's not that noticeable IMO, and having them not move at all would be unrealistic...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Shadow Master wrote:Putting deserter's edit aside... isn't the movement of the breasts a bit too noticeable in Jetryl's animation?
Every feature that has to be visible among dozens of other units and hexes of terrain must be overemphasized. (I imagine thats at least part of the reason why that huge-heads type of sprites ever became the standard)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:
Meh... it's not that noticeable IMO, and having them not move at all would be unrealistic...
:annoyed: Emphatically, no. In fact they move rather less than they would in real life. Let's compare it to another popular videogame of similar sprite size, shall we? This other game's depiction (given the clothing), is fairly realistic. End of discussion, move on.
lapucelletactics.gif
lapucelletactics.gif (6.24 KiB) Viewed 6116 times
Anyways, I'm pretty sure at this point that I'm considering my most recently posted version "final", and I'm moving on to finish other stuff. Petty tweaking means the overall project doesn't get finished. If I find anything bugging me about this, after seeing it in game for a while, I'll edit it ... later. Expect either the sylph or myrmidon from me in short order.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Boobs. :shock:

On a more serious side I would make one leg bent to avoid the symetrical feeling.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Moving along, here's a naga myrmidon. I tried to work in some traditional indian/south-asian motifs into the costuming, since it's appropriate for the naga (who are present in mythology ranging from india to cambodia), and also just plain looks cool.

I still need the two defend frames, and then I'm gonna move on to backporting this attack animation to the fighter (since this attack animation, also seen on the warrior, fixes all the in-water awkwardness of the fighter's current animation. At the same time, I'll thin the fighter out a bit - as I noted elsewhere, I agree with the feeling that his visual "weight" is a little too heavy.
Attachments
myrmidon-melee.gif
myrmidon-melee.gif (8.42 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

so the version of the sylph with the facial mask is final? perhaps i'll have some time next week to do my last elvish portraits... (i want to get those pointy eared guys finally finished so badly!)

the naga myrmidon is cool, too! I'm loving the contrast of the greek inspired mermen versus the oriental nagas - very classical!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:) Myrmidon has been committed.
kitty wrote:so the version of the sylph with the facial mask is final? perhaps i'll have some time next week to do my last elvish portraits... (i want to get those pointy eared guys finally finished so badly!)
Yeah. Feel free to take as much license as you want, the only "special note" is that her mask is blind. It should look like something you can't see through. The point of this was to try and get across a certain flavor of otherworldliness/mysticism. As if the character is advanced enough to sort of see past the material world. To see the "true world" that underpins the mundane world.

It's funny that this sort of idea/symbolism shows up both in optimistic mysticism/transcendentalism, and also in the worst kinds of horror. Which I suppose all pivots on the question of just what it is that the "true" nature of the world looks like:
http://www.ibiblio.org/samneill/sounds/eh/eyes.wav

kitty wrote:the naga myrmidon is cool, too! I'm loving the contrast of the greek inspired mermen versus the oriental nagas - very classical!
Yeah, I thought it'd be cool to do because ... although you often see passing nods to greek mythology in merfolk depictions (such as ionic columns and stuff, generally trying to pull a bit of the poseidon/neptune imagery in), I haven't thus far seen an attempt to visualize a less one-dimensional version of that*. To bring a whole society to life, etc.

Same kinda goes for the naga, who in a lot of depictions (such as that in warcraft) are basically borrowing heavily from ... depictions of mermen. All the way to having greco-roman styles of architecture. :annoyed: With them I thought it'd be cool to actually make them indian in flavor.

* with the exception of a certain disney film, which suffers from ... being a disney film.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:eng: I've just backported the warrior's slash to the fighter, and also thinned the fighter (sideways) by about two pixels.

Which means the naga are done. Just the mermen and drakes remain.

Edit: Er, wait, doh. I still need to add redeth's naga idle anim. Tomorrow..
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Jetryl wrote:Edit: Er, wait, doh. I still need to add redeth's naga idle anim. Tomorrow..
8) And by tomorrow, I meant what I said. It's tomorrow, and it's committed. The naga are done. Onward with either the sylph or mermen.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

This completes a set of base frames for mermen, I've got 4 mermaids left to go. It's either them or the sylph next.

I'm going to commit these tomorrow. They're not animated, but the current animations are a joke, and aren't worth holding up the inclusion of these new base frames.

I think I'm going to give the two level-3 ones a few pixels of shortening, especially on the entangler. As always, I work out the costuming first, and then worry about size - if I worry about both at the same time, it really stifles my creativity on costume design, which is something I already have a severe weakness with.
Attachments
merfolk-demo.png
merfolk-demo.png (13.42 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Jetryl wrote:This completes a set of base frames for mermen, I've got 4 mermaids left to go. It's either them or the sylph next.

I'm going to commit these tomorrow. They're not animated, but the current animations are a joke, and aren't worth holding up the inclusion of these new base frames.

I think I'm going to give the two level-3 ones a few pixels of shortening, especially on the entangler. As always, I work out the costuming first, and then worry about size - if I worry about both at the same time, it really stifles my creativity on costume design, which is something I already have a severe weakness with.
Damn those are HAWT :shock:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Quietus wrote:Damn those are HAWT :shock:
/me tips hat.

And there's the commit.

I did some last-minute tweaks: shortening for the entangler and javelineer, and I decided the warrior's stance with the trident, which had been bugging me for some reason, actually looked rather bad in-game because it was almost totally submerged. Curiously, I had totally avoided doing the classic "sprite art" motif of the "angled weapon at a 45° cant", so I went ahead and did it here. After all, the only thing that's wrong with it is when you use it on *everything* - it becomes a form of being "in the block".
Attachments
merfolk-demo.png
merfolk-demo.png (13.44 KiB) Viewed 4541 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Mermaids. 2 to go, tomorrow.

:hmm:
There's a lot of "sameness" in the color scheme for the whole race. I don't have much issue with the shapes of stuff; fortunately the colors should be easy enough to "change over" the existing stuff.

Occasionally more teal or purple skin colors?
Perhaps silvery skin colors? (liking this idea)
Occasionally Black Lacquered with silver trim armor? <- likely

Who knows. Not a high priority, but I'll try a pass of it before doing the heavy lifting on making the animation frames. I do think this needs to be fixed - it was bugging me when I did them, and it's definitely a problem in looking at the "big picture" of these.
Attachments
mermaids.png
mermaids.png (3.59 KiB) Viewed 3622 times