Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: Outlaws!

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I'm going to agree with Tet as much as that position being unnatural if the character was a man. If a man was positioned in a ready, cat-like pose like that, I believe we would see his spine curving outwards, not inwards like hers. The reason it's easier to see it natural for a woman is that when women use high heels, it shifts the balance of their pelvis forward, sticks the butt out and curves the spine inwards. Also, our culture is saturated by images of women in contorted positions, often to ridiculous degree, while the images of men we see are more often stiff and upstanding or relaxed and natural. Our subcoscious expectations of body language for men and women are wastly different, much more so than they are in real life. Generally speaking, when women and men are in same roles and doing the same things, there should be very good reasons for gendered poses. Gendered body language is not natural, it's a performance, highly context dependent, and when women are working in male-dominated areas, they would probably try to avoid feminine mannerism in order to be taken seriously by their male peers.

I'm not saying that the assasin needs to be changed because of this, it's fine as it is, but maybe this is something to keep in mind in the future.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Tet

Post by Tet »

I like the ninja underware. This pose would be typically female. The way the belt is falling gives me a very different idea of the pose under the cloth. Basically the belt would not fit on the panties you just painted (in my humble opinion). I fully understand and appriciate that Kitty does whatever she likes. (For Turuk: I really mean it)

@Sgt. Groovy: I totally agree to you sayings. I wood like to add that if we talking about somthing like a "fighting stand" the female pose is not varying so much from the male pose. That is more a question of what works and not posing as in social settings. There are many good female athletes in traditional male sports (weightlifting, boxing,fencing,...). While the body shapes are different the active poses are not. This is more biomechanic and technical. It has very little to do with social acceptance in a male dominated environment.
Last edited by Tet on March 10th, 2009, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
JW

Post by JW »

Tet wrote:I like the ninja underware. This pose would be typically female. The way the belt is falling gives me a very different idea of the pose under the cloth. Basically the belt would not fit on the panties you just painted (in my humble opinion). I fully understand and appriciate that Kitty does whatever she likes. (For Turuk: I really mean it)
Stop posting in this thread please.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Groovy: Thanks! Really interesting read!

Tet: And yeah, 'cause i do whatever i want to, I refer you to my last explanatory post for you in which i wrote that there are two belts crossing over each other - that's why they can't follow the "panty line" :roll:
So just stop posting here, please. Thanks.

JW: :)
DragD

Post by DragD »

The assassin is sexy. Very.

We are very grateful for your work, kitty , as you've singlehandedly started a revolution in how Wesnoth looks.

I do find extremely amusing but annoying at the same time that people with no proof of their art skills consider to give you advices , especially in a demanding way.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

kitty wrote:Tet: And yeah, 'cause i do whatever i want to, I refer you to my last explanatory post for you in which i wrote that there are two belts crossing over each other - that's why they can't follow the "panty line"
So just stop posting here, please. Thanks.
DragD wrote:I do find extremely amusing but annoying at the same time that people with no proof of their art skills consider to give you advices , especially in a demanding way.
That problem should be fixed from now on. ;)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
kitty

Post by kitty »

Start for the male assassin...
Attachments
assassin01.png
assassin01.png (86.7 KiB) Viewed 4180 times
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The tiny belt pouches trouble me a bit. It would be quite difficult to operate them in a position where they can be hardly seen, with the gloves on and all.

That, and what could he possibly be carrying in them? One poison pill in each? A different kind of Zippo for each day of the week :P
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Very cool, the expression is much less friendly than with the female one, even though the hood thingy creates a somewhat eastern look.
Last edited by Girgistian on March 13th, 2009, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
For the dark gods!
JW

Post by JW »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:The tiny belt pouches trouble me a bit. It would be quite difficult to operate them in a position where they can be hardly seen, with the gloves on and all.

That, and what could he possibly be carrying in them? One poison pill in each? A different kind of Zippo for each day of the week :P
I think it's a good start too. :annoyed:
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:The tiny belt pouches trouble me a bit. It would be quite difficult to operate them in a position where they can be hardly seen, with the gloves on and all.

That, and what could he possibly be carrying in them? One poison pill in each? A different kind of Zippo for each day of the week
No gloves for him, just mittens (look at the thumb, you can see a bit of skin there)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Could very easily be poison powder, Groovy. You don't need a lot to poison a lot of knives...

Great start, kitty.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Very good looking. You managed to avoid the SWAT looks of the first female version.

Only thing I'm bothered with is the set of (throwing knives ?). Three reasons to this:
- They do not seem to follow the same perspective as the rest of the body. The way you drew them, they could be lying flat on his chest with a frontal view.
- It's unclear wether the knives are on his chest, resting on his arm or right under his armpit.
- Anyway in their current position, they would be a hindrance when moving. I think lowering the whole belt (set it at a fist's height above his waist), or attaching the knives to an armband, would work better.

Altogether I'm really fond of your outlaws. Hope you'll do more of them :)
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
kitty

Post by kitty »

update on the assassin.

lordbob - you were of course right about the knives' direction, they were the last bit i quickly added before posting and that's always a bad idea... meh, the new ones have the right direction but still stick in his shoulder uncomfortably, dunno if that bothers me enough to change them again.
Attachments
assassin02.png
assassin02.png (117.85 KiB) Viewed 3620 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

In my humble opinion, I still find the knives on his chest and arm a bit weird, at least in the direction they would be drawn. Neither set is set in a manner that would be conducive to rapidly drawing and throwing/using them in some manner. This does not mean that they have to be flipped to point down, but like for the ones on the chest, they may be angled with the hilts facing towards the left hand, so he can reach across his chest and pull them out.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time