Wesnoth Mac 1.5.13 Does NOT Install: Alias Broken

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Wesnoth Mac 1.5.13 Does NOT Install: Alias Broken

Post by ancestral »

I've already submitted a bug report, but the alias to /Applications is broken in the dmg. Dragging onto the folder will NOT install Wesnoth.
dmg-folder-contents.jpg
dmg-folder-contents.jpg (25.29 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
Umm… alias iz b0rkd.
Umm… alias iz b0rkd.
alias-warning.jpg (23.62 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
Who's the maintainer of the Mac release again? They should definitely see this and correct it right away!

https://gna.org/bugs/?13159

Muchas gracias!
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Wesnoth Mac 1.5.13 Does NOT Install: Alias Broken

Post by Turuk »

Sounds like a personal issue on your computer, as I downloaded the same thing and did not have any issue.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Negative Ghost Writer. Tested on both a MacBook Pro running 10.5.6 and a Mac mini running 10.4.11.

Turuk, are you sure you downloaded the first "Current" link (I love how that page has two current links… yeeeeah).

Can anyone else confirm this is happening?
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Right, well since it obviously could not be on your end....

Before you're so quick to dismiss it as a personal issue of your own, yes, I did download the first link and still had no issues. I just did it again, and then yet again. Still no problems.

I'm on a MacBook Pro running 10.5.6 as well.

Your computer is trying to tell you that Applications is not where the computer expects it to be. Have you tried dragging and dropping it into the applications folder itself, and not the shortcut given?
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

I'm the Mac packager, and I would be happy to fix it, but I don't see anything wrong. I mean, obviously it's a problem that you can't install it with the alias, but I don't know what I can do about it - it works for me, and everyone else I know of (Turuk, and someone else I got to download it).

I've replied to the bug report.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Very well, I'll try more computers… I certainly won't rule out some kind of setting that could be somehow causing the strange behavior (?) but this is repeatedly reproducible on my end. If you want video proof then you'll get it. I'm not making this up.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

ancestral wrote:Very well, I'll try more computers… I certainly won't rule out some kind of setting that could be somehow causing the strange behavior (?) but this is repeatedly reproducible on my end. If you want video proof then you'll get it. I'm not making this up.
We're not doubting that you can reproduce the error. We are stating that the error is not directly caused by Wesnoth, and thus not something we can fix.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Actually, from ancestral's last posting on the bug report, it seems like it's some sort of combination between the alias and his computer. Mac aliases are pretty weird.

Luckily, I think I have a workaround that'll work. We'll see. Unless someone else reports the problem as well though, I don't think I'll upload another dmg for this release (it takes about 3 hours).
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I'm extremely surprised no one else is encountering issues. Just tested an iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo at work and encountered the same thing.

However, I am happy penguin has a workaround. Thank you.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

I got the same problem as described by ancestral, although i didn't care much and simply dragged the binary in the folder manually :hmm: :mrgreen:

EDIT: i forgot to say that i am using a PowerMac G5 with MacOSX 10.5.6
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Thanks for reporting, Hellrider. I guess I'm not too surprised after talking to someone else on IRC who had the same issue with their program.

I'm not sure whether to upload a new dmg... On the one hand, it shouldn't be a big issue since it only affects some people, you can drag it to your real Applications folder, I have 2GB of bandwidth left on my internet for the next week, and there'll probably be another release in less than a week. On the other hand, some people might not realize you can just drag it, and this release should really be tested a whole lot...

I'm currently thinking I won't.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Eeesh, bandwidth caps are evil.

Don't bother — I agree with you. With the rate of the releases we'll probably get a new one soon.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer