Unnheulu

Re: Woodmouse's sprites

Post by Unnheulu »

Its huge.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Indeed. Not bad at all compared to your other work, but it is even bigger than your dragon.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Hehe, I know it's huge. xD
But here is a Sand Gargoyle I made just a second ago.
Comments, critics?
Check out my sprites!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

You didn't finish your dragon sprite.
woodmouse wrote:And I will finish this dragon, btw.
Unless you are expert like Jetryl, or masochistic like me, making many different sprites at once is bad for your health.

Also, are you sure you didn't get your last two samples from somewhere else?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Shadow_Master wrote:Also, are you sure you didn't get your last two samples from somewhere else?
I drew them myself! I'm not a idiot who takes other peoples' sprites and claims them as own!

Smileys: terminated.
Last edited by woodmouse on March 8th, 2009, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my sprites!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The shadow on the blob is facing the wrong way.

Might be worth noting that although bigger sprites are somewhat easier to draw (if you don't try to include details like scales and hair), they are harder to animate. Little sprites can get fewer frames without looking too jumpy.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Yeah, I know. But I will animate these, when I first make a lot of base monsters. :lol:
EDIT:
Minotauros I made just a second ago.
And btw, I finish the Dragon tomorrow, like I said. I go to bed soon, because it's late here already. Anyway, comments and critics for the Minotauros (or others)?
Check out my sprites!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Minotauros I made just a second ago
I'm not saying it looks bad, but as has been pointed out before, you should probably spend a little more time. Not just on the drawing, but on self critiquing (which you don't need to post).

If you plan to actually use these, test them out like you did with the dragon. When you are happy with it, or just out of ideas on how to improve it, then it's a good time to post.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

But I like to hear other peoples' comments... And I have seen many people post wip sprites... :?
anyway, they will be used, at least some of them.
And here is a scaled down dragon. Maybe I scaled it down too much...?
And here is how it looks ingame.
Check out my sprites!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Of course WIP sprites are fine to post, but something that you cranked out in a few minutes should probably be held back until you've had a chance to think about it.

For the in-game test, it is also helpful to surround your new sprite with mainline sprites. It makes it easier to judge whether the size and perspective are correct.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Usually people only post WIP sprites (Or portraits, or whatever) if there's something that's bothering them and they can't figure it out on their own, so they want to work it out and fix it before they move on to the next step. Or, in the case of larger works like portraits, to make sure that all the basic elements, the anatomy and color choices, say, are correct before moving on.

The minotaur looks okay, but you want to get some reference for the muscles... They make no sense right now. Also, he looks almost like he's made out of a bunch of balloons fastened together--I'd tone down the lines in between muscles etc if I were you ;)
JW

Post by JW »

You have 21 pages and how many usable images?
iBaLkiD

Post by iBaLkiD »

You need to get out of the ADD rut that your in and nail down some of your sprites. Finishing a project/task at hand through to the end will help you get better and faster at making sprites. Try a back and forth critique in this thread until
the majority of the feedback is positive. This is a pretty standard process for most all artist's wether they be professionals or hobbyist's.

I guarantee you that it will get easier and faster each time that you do that. Pick some of your favorite sprites or ideas that you have so that you can stay motivated. It will really pay off in the end! I think you have some talent that you could develop with the help of your fellow forum members:)

Cheers
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

iBaLkiD wrote:You need to get out of the ADD rut that you're in and nail down some of your sprites. This is a pretty standard process for most all artists whether they be professionals or hobbyists.
:roll:

[semi-OT rant]
I don't see why everyone has come here to beat on woodmouse. He's doing what makes him happy, and, IMHO, improving quite a bit. Sure, his stuff may not be mainline quality or even make sense, but I don't think that's the point of it. It's random pixel art for Wesnoth, following his train of thought.

Not everything has to conform to what others do. His sprites are not for an era or for mainline Wesnoth, or anything as far as I know, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to post them in my opinion. If you don't have something constructive to say (I don't think the above is constructive at all), then don't say anything. I know this sounds trite and overused, but it seems that way because it's such an obvious and good idea that has to be repeated for people who don't seem to understand it.

When I first started my portrait thread, I happily posted each and every little thing because I was very unsure of myself. I wanted input on everything. I think the same thing is going on here with this 21 page thread, and people are, instead of nurturing a new and very enthusiastic artist, trying to beat down on him for asking for critique too often.
[/semi-OT rant]

I apologize if I've overstepped my non-existent authority. I felt this should be said, but will understand if it is removed/countermanded.

That said, here's some C&C about the minotauros - I'd avoid having so many thick perfectly vertical/horizontal lines, especially in the abs. It would also be a good idea to take a better look at the shoulder and arm musculature - I don't think it's quite right. Finally, as far as I can tell, it seems very pillowshaded. If you can dig up one of Jetryl's discourses on shading it would probably help you quite a bit.

About self-critiquing: if you've never heard this, it helps to flip your image from time to time. This eliminates the artistic tunnel vision that develops over time when working too long on something. It's also helpful to keep in mind (or draw in a separate layer) a stick-figure skeleton to help with limb sizing and posing.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Corvvs wrote:[semi-OT rant]
Insert bunch of blah here.
[/semi-OT rant]
On the subject of your rant, here's the issue at hand. No one is trying to take away his right to post his images or develop as he sees fit, even if they are not mainline standard, which many of us have stated before. Rather, this is what happens.

Woodmouse posts a sprite that he is in the process of working on currently, and asks for C&C or other help from users.

People come to this thread and see someone struggling to get a grasp on spriting and create a few unit sprites, and so they post help/advice/guidance out of the kindness of their heart.

Woodmouse claims to listen to the advice of the users, but then either makes no serious effort to implement it or ignores it completely. Or, when he starts to make progress, he then switches to posting something else.

People try to help him out, but then get fed up with taking the time to help and then getting ignored, and so they give up.

I would like to point out that you exaggerating quite a bit here. "If people don't have something constructive to say, don't post it all...." I want you to go through this thread and count the number of long posts offering help or advice, the posts offering encouragement, the posts outlining what he needs to do in order to get better. All of the posts that advise him to stick to it, but that he needs to actually apply what others are trying to teach him.

Hell, just even count the sheer amount of people that have posted in here. From veteran users to new players, from those who dabble in frankensteining to those who are active members of the art team. Where else has there been such a concentrated effort to help a user who shows he has so much energy towards Wesnoth?

You will forgive people if they get a bit miffed when they are dismissed out of hand, but beyond a few people posting realistic notions of what is going on, nothing in here is particularly harsh or not constructive.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time