No More Wesbowl?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DEATH_is_undead

No More Wesbowl?

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

After finally deciding to switch to 1.5/1.6, I was looking through the maps, and noticed Wesbowl was missing. Has it been really taken out of Wesnoth?
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: No More Wesbowl?

Post by Dave »

Wesbowl was a scenario I made ages ago, when WML was first growing some features to make it reasonably powerful as an example of what could be achieved with WML. It was never designed to be a really balanced fun game. I am surprised it has lasted through any serious releases at all, let alone this long.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Check Bob the Mighty's Wesball.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
DEATH_is_undead

Dave wrote:Wesbowl was a scenario I made ages ago, when WML was first growing some features to make it reasonably powerful as an example of what could be achieved with WML.

David
I read your topic on it. http://wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... it=wesbowl
Dave wrote:It was never designed to be a really balanced fun game. I am surprised it has lasted through any serious releases at all, let alone this long.

David
Really balanced: no.
Really fun: YES!

In my opinion, in most cases, unbalanced maps are more fun. Its fun for the player to whom has an advantage, because they get to pick on the other. And its fun for the one being picked on, because they have to work harder.

Anyway, would it be ok if I add your map to a map pack for V. 1.6?

Shadow_Master wrote:Check Bob's Wesball
MUCH more complicated then Wesbowl.
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:
Shadow_Master wrote: Check Bob's Wesball
MUCH more complicated then Wesbowl.
More complicated? Yes, of course, as Dave stated that Wesbowl was made ages ago, and so something new like Wesball will avail itself of newer features. But it is not too complicated to learn to play easily, especially if you read the thread and find someone willing to play a game to learn with you or teach you how to play.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
DEATH_is_undead

Turuk wrote:
DEATH_is_undead wrote:
More complicated? Yes, of course, as Dave stated that Wesbowl was made ages ago, and so something new like Wesball will avail itself of newer features. But it is not too complicated to learn to play easily, especially if you read the thread and find someone willing to play a game to learn with you or teach you how to play.
But thats time consuming. Wesbowl is the oldest Mainline non-battle game there is. In fact, it used to be the only until recently. I, personally, think Wesbowl has made a mark on Wesnoth. It has, in the past, gotten me to stay.

[long story there.]
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:But thats time consuming. Wesbowl is the oldest Mainline non-battle game there is. In fact, it used to be the only until recently. I, personally, think Wesbowl has made a mark on Wesnoth. It has, in the past, gotten me to stay.
Well, if you like it that much and it means that much to you, why not try to bring it over to 1.6 yourself?
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
DEATH_is_undead

Turuk wrote:
DEATH_is_undead wrote:But thats time consuming. Wesbowl is the oldest Mainline non-battle game there is. In fact, it used to be the only until recently. I, personally, think Wesbowl has made a mark on Wesnoth. It has, in the past, gotten me to stay.
Well, if you like it that much and it means that much to you, why not try to bring it over to 1.6 yourself?
DEATH_is_undead wrote: Anyway, would it be ok if I add your map to a map pack for V. 1.6?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:
Turuk wrote: Well, if you like it that much and it means that much to you, why not try to bring it over to 1.6 yourself?
DEATH_is_undead wrote: Anyway, would it be ok if I add your map to a map pack for V. 1.6?
I saw that, but nothing has stopped users before from converting old content, and as long as you will be the one to update it, my point is that no one would have an issue with it, though asking is never bad.
TL

Post by TL »

Some time ago I did put together WesbowlPlus, intermediate in complexity between old school Wesbowl and Bob's Wesball. It's available on 1.4 under TL's MP Maps (although I just noticed that it had been slightly broken until I fixed it just now :oops: ), although I haven't ported it to 1.6 yet.