About EXTRAS and Game lobby

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
BuBu

About EXTRAS and Game lobby

Post by BuBu »

Hello,

I play with the wesnoth 1.4.7 and when i install something from Extras and after remove it, it dont remove from the main menu of the EXTRAS. Always when i install a new version of the add on i dont know if it was removed or not.

So could have more info of the add on that is instaled in the menu of extras like version and the author. This is very usefull to make a control of the add ons and the eras. Other thing could be removed when it is to be removed :D .

About game lobby:

When we open a game we can' t see who is on-line and sometimes we lost many time whispering people that inst on-line, because this we can't see who is online. So could put under the frame of the people thats is in game lobby the people who is on-line. This will make easy whisper some friends and dont lose too much time waiting all the player to start the game.

Other important thing

When i open a game that need a ADD ON and many people say that has the add on and they dont have it and i have remake the game because the server kick it. Could have a way to identify who has the add on to dont have all the time re open a game. This is very annoy and many player dont want to play with us because of this.

Is possible to apply this to wesnoth, i think that will be very usefull for the players.

Sorry, for english's mistakes and i dont want to open many topics :roll: .
Take a look in the things that i did: 6p - Secret Valley , MAP for SX
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: About EXTRAS and Game lobby

Post by Iris »

BuBu wrote:Hello,

I play with the wesnoth 1.4.7 and when i install something from Extras and after remove it, it dont remove from the main menu of the EXTRAS. Always when i install a new version of the add on i dont know if it was removed or not.
This should be fixed since 1.5.7 or so (the fix was never backported to 1.4).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

Very good, the 1.5 (or 1.6) is very next to a stable version, so when it is out i will download it.

And about the changes that i sugest, are they in 1.5 (or 1.6) :roll: ....
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

BuBu wrote:When i open a game that need a ADD ON and many people say that has the add on and they dont have it and i have remake the game because the server kick it. Could have a way to identify who has the add on to dont have all the time re open a game. This is very annoy and many player dont want to play with us because of this.
There are already measures in place to tell players if they have the add-ons necessary to play a certain MP game, otherwise it will show up as "unknown era" or "unknown scenario". Beyond that, we cannot make players more intelligent for you to be able to read when they do not have something.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

Isn't necessary inteligent players !!!

The only thing that is necessary is the system verify if the player will be kicked or not. This is for who is hosting the game, so who is hosting the game will kick the person that dont have the add on before the game start to come a player that has the add on.

This is simple and dont need inteligent players. :lol2:
cmonyiman

Post by cmonyiman »

How about this solution:
You ask, when a player joins, this question:
"I have chosen a leader. Please tell me what it is."
If he doesn't answer, even if he had the add-on, it will be not very fun playing with him. So kick him and wait for a player who knows how to communicate.

Your solution is not as easy as it seems. When an era uses some units that you already have without modification, the player doesn't get kicked and can play, even if he didn't have the era, because he had the units of the era. Same for some upgraded versions of eras, say EE 3.5 didn't modify sidhe, and you have 3.4, and both you and host wants to play with only sidhe...With your solution the player should get kicked and go download 3.5 when it isn't needed ;)
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

You cannot join games without the required add-ons in 1.5.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
E-magination

Post by E-magination »

(first post, BTW!) In my experience with 1.4.7, the player who doesn't have the map/era can join the game (they can see the factions and stuff) but gets kicked as soon the game actually starts.
cmonyiman wrote:You ask, when a player joins, this question:
I don't think this would work as they can see your leader when you're setting up a game and they can choose their faction, etc, even if they don't have it. It's only until the game is started, then they're kicked, and you have to restart the game with an era that they have.
Hopefully it was fixed in 1.5, as Soliton says, but I can't be bothered downloading it...I'm just explaining what the situation was in 1.4.7 :mrgreen:
I've only been playing for a week, and I've already downloaded EVERY add-on from the server!
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

E-magination wrote:
cmonyiman wrote:You ask, when a player joins, this question:
I don't think this would work
actually this works and is a method already practiced.
still the downfall is that there are people that actually dont speak english very well, well these wil get kicked then (by the game host before gamestart, since they cannot answer the question) and dont even now why

after the 3rd restarted game you dont even have the nerves to deal with these, for a noob it may look lik eyou are "cool" or an "[censored]" though, but who cares
E-magination wrote: as they can see your leader when you're setting up a game and they can choose their faction, etc, even if they don't have it.
nope, you cant. you can chose and see the faction, but you cannot see any new units, theres a "?" then.

in any case this check works, and helps also to sort out the "go go go go" shouters (noob indicator)

A: "tell me the name of my leader unit ?"
B: "gogogogo"
*player B has been kicked*

:lol2:

edit:
usually the host is waay to lazy though and just ask the people if they have the era.

this is usually ok, after the 3rd time restarting, you come back to the good ol' asking for units.

EDIT2:
But im glad this is improved for 1.5/1.6 ;)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

Soliton wrote:You cannot join games without the required add-ons in 1.5.
Very very good, it is better than i though !!! (this justify why Wesnoth is so good game :wink: )

Mabuse wrote:
E-magination wrote: I don't think this would work
actually this works and is a method already practiced.
still the downfall is that there are people that actually dont speak english very well, well these wil get kicked then (by the game host before gamestart, since they cannot answer the question) and dont even now why

after the 3rd restarted game you dont even have the nerves to deal with these, for a noob it may look lik eyou are "cool" or an "[censored]" though, but who cares
E-magination wrote: as they can see your leader when you're setting up a game and they can choose their faction, etc, even if they don't have it.
nope, you cant. you can chose and see the faction, but you cannot see any new units, theres a "?" then.

in any case this check works, and helps also to sort out the "go go go go" shouters (noob indicator)

A: "tell me the name of my leader unit ?"
B: "gogogogo"
*player B has been kicked*

:lol2:
hee heee .... very good !!! I already tried this and This realy work. It is a alternative option.

gogogogo = kick :lol2: