Main Screen Images

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scienceguy8

Main Screen Images

Post by scienceguy8 »

I've got a question. In previous versions of the 1.5.x line, the menu screen utilized some very nice random scenes that would change from time to time (looking up a hill toward a castle, looking at a bridge crossing a stream amongst some pasture, and looking at the aftermath of a battle at the foot of a mountain range). Now, we are back to the map. No disrespect to the artist who gave us the map, but I have been looking at it for two years now, and it was nice to have some variation. What happened?
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Wesnoth 1.5.12 - 1.6rc1

Post by Turuk »

scienceguy8 wrote:No disrespect to the artist who gave us the map, but I have been looking at it for two years now, and it was nice to have some variation. What happened?
I believe this was answered elsewhere as well. Due to a conversation between some devs and kitty on IRC, the decision was made to return to the map as some found it more appealing than the random images, which had never been intended for the title screen from the start.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
theruler

Post by theruler »

scienceguy8 wrote:I've got a question.
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 62#p342762
Chuck Norris' watch displays only an hour. Yours.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

scienceguy8 wrote:No disrespect to the artist who gave us the map, but I have been looking at it for two years now, and it was nice to have some variation. What happened?
I, too, mourn the loss of the new images, but what can you do?

Actually, if someone had simple instructions on how to change it back, I'd do it.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Open up data/game_config.cfg and change the line

Code: Select all

title="maps/wesnoth.png"
to

title="story/landscape-battlefield.jpg,story/landscape-bridge.jpg,story/landscape-castle.jpg"
You can add any image in there.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Main Screen Images

Post by Ken_Oh »

I figured it would be that easy, but didn't know where to look. Thanks.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I also preferred the colorful storyboard images from kitty. Thanks for your tip.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

AI wrote:Open up data/game_config.cfg and change the line

title="maps/wesnoth.png"
to

title="story/landscape-battlefield.jpg,story/landscape-bridge.jpg,story/landscape-castle.jpg"
You can add any image in there.
Might want to add this: This does NOT work on 1.4 series.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

scienceguy8 in the first post wrote:In previous versions of the 1.5.x line...
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Ken_Oh wrote:
scienceguy8 in the first post wrote:In previous versions of the 1.5.x line...
But people may still want to try it on 1.4. :-)
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

1.4 is about to go extinct anyway.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Turuk wrote: I believe this was answered elsewhere as well. Due to a conversation between some devs and kitty on IRC, the decision was made to return to the map as some found it more appealing than the random images, which had never been intended for the title screen from the start.
btw, thats nothing against the pictures form kitty, they are good, but i agree to that decision.

the starting screen of wesnoth was the map and it filled the screen kinda decently.
while not looking overloaded, or distracting the viewer. and it fits well with the menu.

the pictures are somewhat blank and give you the the impression that something is missing.
also it doesnt look to good in combination with the menu, in my opinion. menu and picture are completely different style

i think the pictures are good for introduction of a SCN, but not for starting screen -
(two different kind of things imo)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

To be clear, the 'scenery' images were all drawn by kitty, and kitty is the person who decided to revert to the map, because she thinks it looks better on the title screen than her images do.

We have a policy of putting full confidence in our artists to make decisions.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Just to add some more explanation to the decision not to use my story screens as main screen anymore:

My two main concerns with their use as main screen were technical ones. When you didn't use fullscreen mode and resized your wesnoth window the picture got distorted, compressed and stretched. And while more structure based graphic like the map can bear that, the representational landscape pictures got mangled pretty badly.
The second reason were the positions of the screen elements and buttons. Most of the time they were positioned akwardly above the pics. This made it easy visible that these pictures weren't done for this purpose.

Thus I'd generally like to have wether another or a whole set of new main screen images but these don't work under these circumstances. I don't want to have anything appearing less professional and polished as our title screen as necessary. And right now the map with its kind of all over structure works better for that purpose because the positioning of the buttons is no problem as well as its robustness. Honestly, in addition to all that I like the old school feel of the map in comparison to the bling of many commercial games.
Perhaps I or lordbob or Jetryl or tsi or whoever will do such a title graphic at one point but it is no priority to me, I'm interested in polishing the "inside" of the game.
RonnnL

Post by RonnnL »

Just for inspiration:

One of the editions of 'DROD' (Deadly Rooms of Death) also uses a map as a background for the title screen. But instead of having a static map, the camera slowly pans around so you continuously see different parts of the fantasy game world. It makes the game world appear larger. (example: http://www.insidemacgames.com/include/i ... hp?ID=7398)

By the way, is the wesnoth worldmap available in higher detail? Or are campaign developers free to 'fill in' smaller parts of the world to their own liking?