Ranged attack should be really ranged

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
tayyabrana

Ranged attack should be really ranged

Post by tayyabrana »

While playing BFW I always wonder why ranged attack can not be executed from distance (which should be as of its nature). We have to place units capable of ranged attack in adjacent hex to attack with ranged weapons, why? In case of melee attacks its right but in case of ranged weapons it just doesn't make any sense.
It should be possible to attack with ranged weapons from distance.Though distance may effect accuracy and effectiveness of attack. with nearest possible distance hit points and chance of hit should be maximum and may decrease as distance increase.Distance for attack can be set according to level of unit or just as standard.
This addition (or correction) will increase the naturalness of game play and boost fun of play.
scienceguy8

Re: Ranged attack should be really ranged

Post by scienceguy8 »

List of Frequently Proposed Ideas wrote:* Ranged weapons should be able to reach across multiple hexes
Background: suggestions that units such as archers (or perhaps catapults) should be able to fire their weapons across multiple tiles
Result: although the game engine used to support this, the developers do not feel it enhanced the game, since among other things, it would be very difficult to protect units from dying

Look at it this way. Currently, if you have a unit that takes a lot of damage, you can pull him/her/it behind a wall of your troops and give him/her/it time to heal. Zone of Control of your wall of troops keep the healing unit safe. You can then rotate healing units with protecting/attacking units and lose very few troops. However, if one can attack over the protective wall, then your units that are being healed are no longer safe and have a higher risk to die. Also, currently, a maximum of 6 units can attack a single enemy unit at once. Ranged units who can shoot over multiple tiles, however, would allow even more units to focus fire onto a single unit, disrupting the balance of the game.

The current system is fair, balanced, and not outside the boundaries of reason. It is unlikely that it will change.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

This has already been brought up and rejected. It used to be a feature I believe but has been ommitted as it means unit survivability would be much lower and it would totally change the whole game. However, someone is making an era where this is implemented:http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23982.

I once thought this would be great, but after reading arguments against it I can see why, but do check before you post.

Now I'd hide if I were you, the mods will kill you for a Frequently Posted Idea

:)

[scienceguy, you beat me grrr.]
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
tayyabrana

Post by tayyabrana »

It used to be a feature I believe but has been ommitted as it means unit survivability would be much lower and it would totally change the whole game.
I think unit survival depends on how you with those units not on the game play or abilities or disabilities of unit.
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Well the ones with power think it will affect unit survivability, and I for one believe them.

The issue has been debated and discussed before, hence why it is in FPI, so I'm afraid it won't change.

(Worth a try-and sry Turuk about the color, this just sounds like what you guys say as you lock threads)

:P
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Longbow wrote:Locked
Cute, but no. Attempting to act as a moderator when you are not one will get you in trouble. Check your private messages.

As others have already indicated to you, this idea has been proposed several times before, and it was decided a long time ago that this will not be put into mainline Wesnoth. You are encouraged to read the Frequently Proposed Ideas, the rules for the Ideas forum, as well as search to see if your idea has been proposed before.

Locked.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time