"Bug" report on dev. 1.5.9

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Swift

"Bug" report on dev. 1.5.9

Post by Swift »

Hi, straight to the point:

I´m using Mac playing Wesnoth, and I never use fullscreen. In the previous version 1.4 (stable), it all worked fine. So what i´m asking is that when I "scroll" around on the map (in-game) I could simply move the mouse-pointer around outside the Wesnoth window, and the map moved that direction. Now I have to carefully put my cursor at the edge of the window to make it move (up,down,left,right).

Any clue if that´s a "bug"?

Swift
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: "Bug" report on dev. 1.5.9

Post by Turuk »

That is actually a feature that has been implemented, as some players found that if they wanted to look at another window open on their screen but did not want the map to keep scrolling as they moved the mouse outside of the game window.

Details Here
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Swift

Post by Swift »

Then alt + tab!

I think it´s so annoying. Perhaps it´s just me. :wink:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Possibly, though I find alt + tab equally ineffective. Expose and Spaces do it for me in switching windows. I take it you are on a desktop then?
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

The 'problem' is to do with the way the input focus is handled under Windows. MS do seem to have a knack for finding the most awkward way of implementing every UI feature they touch. But once you're used to the Windows way, other behaviours can be just as maddening as vice versa.

But there are free utilities (and/or OS settings) under Mac OS, Windows, Linux and other OSes that allow you have have the input focus follow the mouse pointer, or stay in one window till you click in another. You can also control whether the focus is lost when the mouse leaves the old window, or gained when the pointer enters a new window, which gives slightly different behaviour in each case.

Personally, I feel Wesnoth ought to do things 'right' (lost focus = mouse movements stop affecting the Wesnoth window), and leave the user and OS to configure the focus-change behaviour they prefer.

[Edit: to clarify, I realise Swift and Turuk are talking Mac, but unless I've misread it, that original bug report/feature request was for a Windows-related annoyance, so the 'fix' seems to have caused unwelcome behaviour under other OSes.]

Swift

Post by Swift »

Turuk wrote:Possibly, though I find alt + tab equally ineffective. Expose and Spaces do it for me in switching windows. I take it you are on a desktop then?
Are you on mac or Windows now? I was talking as if the people having the issue were on windows. I don´t use alt-tab in mac, only the nice feature which allows me to see all windows and pick what window I want to interact on. So if i´m playing wesnoth, it´s so hard to move around the map. Orcourse scroll works, but that´s only vertical.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

....What?

As Simons Mith and I thought, you stated in your original post "I'm using Mac playing Wesnoth." Which would tell me that you were complaining about a "bug" on the Mac OS, and not Windows. But if using Windows is indeed the case, then the link I provided did indeed address it.
Swift

Post by Swift »

haha, i´m really sorry if i´ve confused you! but I have a mac! and I use mac! And I don´t like that the "bug"-fix is the same on mac! oh well..

btw. nice pic you posted! hunk!
ilor
Inactive Developer

Post by ilor »

Unless a lot of devs invoke OAB, this could become an advanced option in a future version. I guess 1.6.1 is when it could be done.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

:lol2:

It is ok, I was just highly confused reading your first line asking if I was on a mac or windows. Possibly a developer will see this and maybe alter the fix to deal with the aforementioned issue in the future (EDIT: Tada, someone did notice). You said that only vertical scroll works for you on your screen? I have not had an issue with that, the arrow keys for me make the map go in all directions, hmm.
Swift wrote:btw. nice pic you posted! hunk!
Aww thanks. :wink:
Max

Post by Max »

Swift wrote:So if i´m playing wesnoth, it´s so hard to move around the map. Orcourse scroll works, but that´s only vertical.
what's wrong with the cursor keys? you can scroll in all (8) directions and there's the additional benefit that you can keep the mouse within the window...
Swift

Post by Swift »

Nothing wrong with the arrow-keys, started to use them now after the fix :)
ilor
Inactive Developer

Post by ilor »

you can also scroll by click-dragging on the minimap, which is what I often do
Lord_Aether

Post by Lord_Aether »

@Turuk - Keep in mind that on a mac it is cmd-tab, while on windows is alt-tab :wink:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Yeah, indeed.

That is what I meant to say, that I find cmd+tab equally ineffective. I just use Expose and Spaces. ;)