Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Limabean

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Limabean »

I also got into the "V for Vendetta" serie lately. I did not see the movie, but I loved the comic
lol, I didn't even know there was a comic :lol2: . I liked the movie so I might need to check that out.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Limabean wrote: I didn't even know there was a comic
Probably because you were not born yet. ;) It was written during the 1980's. It is interesting to note how closely the movie followed the original work.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
In_My_CrossHairs

Post by In_My_CrossHairs »

Noy wrote:
In_My_CrossHairs wrote:I'm currently reading
1: Warlords By Simon Berthon
2: The Siege of Mecca By Yaroslav Trofimov
I'm not sure about your perspective while reading Warlords (given your idiotic title), but if you want a more in depth idea about some of the common traits possessed by great war statesmen, I encourage you to read Eliot Cohen's Supreme Command. It covers Four great leaders and how they interacted with their militaries during a time of crisis; Lincoln, Clemenceau, Churchill and Ben-Gurion.
. Actually, Warlords is about WWII, but whatever

Just finished those two, now starting:

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

The Day of Battle (About the battles in Italy and Sicily during WWII)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy.
Friedrich Nietzsche
bert1

Post by bert1 »

Great (war statesmen) rather than (great war) statesmen, I presume.
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Neuromancer, Im almost at the end...great book.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

In_My_CrossHairs wrote:A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
I tried reading that. Couldn't stand it.

Ironically, I listened to an interview with George R. R. Martin and highly enjoyed it.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond. Fascinating.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

I'm not reading a lot of books these days. The last new pieces of fiction I read were the newest sequel to Erragon and The Last Command, an old Star Wars novel.

The former was more original in its story, I felt, than the first two, but I actually thought it was worse in terms of likable characters and quality of writing. I'm finding it harder and harder to feel much respect or sympathy for the characters, who seem to be taking more of a "end justify the means" approach (though maybe that's realistic in a war), and Eragon's brother is the subject of much wank on the part of the author (killing over a hundred men almost single-handedly :roll: ). And his story was actually the most interesting in book two.

The Last Command was ok, but the ending was rather contrived, and focussed too little on the fleet battle (is it just me, or does it seem like their is way too little focus on fleet combat in Star Wars?).
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Lord_Aether

Post by Lord_Aether »

The Great Rings wrote:The Last Command was ok, but the ending was rather contrived, and focussed too little on the fleet battle (is it just me, or does it seem like their is way too little focus on fleet combat in Star Wars?).
If you like fleet battles, you might consider trying David Weber's Honor Harrington series.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Lord_Aether wrote:
The Great Rings wrote:The Last Command was ok, but the ending was rather contrived, and focussed too little on the fleet battle (is it just me, or does it seem like their is way too little focus on fleet combat in Star Wars?).
If you like fleet battles, you might consider trying David Weber's Honor Harrington series.
I was expecting someone to mention this, so let me just say this:

I don't like Honor Harrington. I read a lot of the series, but finally I just gave up. The writing style is melodramatic and becomes repetative, the politics (pro-vigilantism, and pro-military) of the series is grating to me, their are so many minor characters who seem poorly defined and hard to keep track of, and I find their life-prolonging treatments creepy (20 year olds that look like children :? ). All in all, the series just pisses me off on so many levels. The first and third books I found ok (never read number 2), but the fourth offended me, the next few were mostly acceptable with ups and downs, and in the end I just couldn't keep reading it.

That said, if they'd ever made a movie off of it, Angelina Jolie would have made a good Honor. Though it would be a waste of a good actress.:wink:
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

It's not strictly "fleet combat", but Scott Westerfeld's Succession books have the best space battle description I have ever read in them. The first book, The Risen Empire, essentially is just a normal sci-fi book, but the second (and final, unfortunately), The Killing of Worlds, is an entire book dedicated to a space battle.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Right now, I'm only reading "Father Goriot" by H. Balzac.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Corvvs wrote:The Killing of Worlds, is an entire book dedicated to a space battle.
Wow. Must be a pretty diverse battle then. Unless the book's about the events around the actual fight (which are, in a way, a part of the real battle).
For the dark gods!
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

IIRC it's all the battle. There might be interlude chapters though... blast can't recall.

ATM I'm reading: The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe. Good stuff...
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Corvvs wrote:ATM I'm reading: The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe. Good stuff...
Excellent choice. :eng:

As soon as I can get back to the public library I'm going to check out the Book of the Short Sun, so I can finally be done with the Urth Cycle (my first reading of it, anyway).

Till then, I'm stuck reading Mansfield Park for my literature class. And I've started reading Madame Bovary for some reason.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm