Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
bonehead11

Re: Art for Descendant of the dragon

Post by bonehead11 »

Quietus wrote:
bonehead11 wrote:Here is attack button for katana.
Wish granted.
Hehe :lol2:
You forgot combo :lol2: its an electric guitar.

PS for Shadowmaster: Isnt your avatar by the way a gobot?
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

I thought i was Emperor Zurg :shock:
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

don't insult zurg!!! he will shoot orange balls out of his big gun on his are :shock:
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Actually, now Shadow_Master.

It is indeed Emperor Zurg, taken from the flip of this picture.

*Steers back on topic*

For the ashigaru, do you want the sword completely blocking the face Bonehead11? Also, for the hands gripping the sword, the unit's left hand seems to be holding the sword oddly, I would expect the fingers to wrap completely around the hilt.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

yes let us steer back to the topic, why don't you have him holding it with both hands out in-front of him like he is about to pull it up and bring it down to hit him
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

For the ashigaru, do you want the sword completely blocking the face Bonehead11? Also, for the hands gripping the sword, the unit's left hand seems to be holding the sword oddly, I would expect the fingers to wrap completely around the hilt.
Tried to repair it.
why don't you have him holding it with both hands out in-front of him like he is about to pull it up and bring it down to hit him
Hope its better.
Attachments
ashigarusword.png
ashigarusword.png (2.16 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Somehow managed to miss this thread...

The Ashigaru's pose is good--He's got a clear twist to his body, etc--But the way the sword is held feels a little clumsy to me... What if you were to have him hold it away from his body, rather than straight up? Like this:
ashigarusword.png
ashigarusword.png (2.21 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
Also, the faces are a little blurry--I think it's caused by your having the white of the eye on our right visible. In the mainline units, the angle of the face is exaggerated so that the white on that eye isn't visible, and the other eye is a pixel lower (Eyes outlined in red):
archereyes.png
archereyes.png (1009 Bytes) Viewed 2835 times
Other than that, a little bit more contrast and some more defined shadows would be nice; in some places--The hats, for instance--the shading looks a little random/nonexistent :hmm:

In regards to people commenting--Turuk and Girgistian hit the nail on the head. It's that your art is neither so terrible (I name no names) that people want to stop by and point this out to you, nor so good (Neoriceisgood) that people stop by just to slather you with praise.
Because this cuts out all of the casual visitors, the only people left who will post are the people who are willing to give meaningful, helpful advice (Or try as best they can)--There are very, very few people like that around.
But this doesn't mean your art is bad--It means it's better than at least 85% percent of what's out there, and significantly so. Keep up the good work! :D
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

It means it's better than at least 85% percent of what's out there, and significantly so. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the encouragament...dont worry It will get better these are just the base frames, I will shade them and recolour them,if its a must, after when they are all finished so im not done yet.
But the way the sword is held feels a little clumsy to me...
Thats the point,he will be lvl 0 unit so first time holding a sword ,ready to battle? He should have a clumsy stance and shakened,he is conscripted into the army...well than that means I should change ashigarus pose too...
Also, the faces are a little blurry--I think it's caused by your having the white of the eye on our right visible. In the mainline units, the angle of the face is exaggerated so that the white on that eye isn't visible, and the other eye is a pixel lower (Eyes outlined in red):
First time doing some real sprites similar to wesnoth...oh well thanks for the advice.
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Here is first lvl 2 unit enjoy.
And tried to make look ashigaru more uneasy so he is wrapping he yari more.
Attachments
dragonraider.png
dragonraider.png (3.32 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
ashigaru.png
ashigaru.png (2.7 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

For the dragonraider, it might be a bit too much of similarly colored red on his helmet/shoulders. The definition of his head and face are lost and since the body uses such dark colors it is hard to readily distinguish the shape of the man on the horse.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Hope he is more defined and added more green colour.
And I am not sure what main weapon should he have...should I give him naginata,yari-the spear or sword?
Attachments
dragonraider.png
dragonraider.png (3.37 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Still heavy on the red, but it is better. It is mainly just from the lack of pixel variation/shading, but fair enough.

I would go with the yari or naginata, something he can use from horseback that has reach.
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Turuk wrote:Still heavy on the red, but it is better. It is mainly just from the lack of pixel variation/shading, but fair enough.

I would go with the yari or naginata, something he can use from horseback that has reach.
As I said earlier shading will be done later when all of those base frames will be done...I am planing claws for lvl 3 but wich naginata or yari?Well there is lack of naginatas so I think I will go with it.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I could be wrong, but I don't think naginata were ever used on horseback--It would certainly be a completely different way of using the weapon than traditional naginatajutsu (Which focuses on spinning the weapon combined with intricate footwork to provide a large range of attack). I'm not sure about the yari, either; I know that Samurai almost entirely forsook their swords in favor of the spears at one point, but I can't remember whether or not they actually used them from horseback--I know swords were, though, so I assume yari were too.
They were also pretty big on mounted archers...
I'd say go for a mochiyari or possibly a bow or sword :hmm:

On another note, it's up to you, obviously, but I would do the shading as you finish each sprite--That way, you'll learn more with each sprite, and you won't have to go back and revisit them all, which I always find is tedious...

Anyway, great job, as always! Keep it up! :D
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

I am not sure with naginata, but if it would be used on horseback it could be good slashing weapon with nice reach. And yari was used on horsebacks.
And...the dragon warrior line arent samurais...Im afraid so some fantasy should do the trick.