Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

karambol

Re: Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario (0.5.4)

Post by karambol »

Hey!
I tried to get version 0.5.4 running on Wesnoth 1.5.9 (I'm using Ubuntu Linux) and I can't get past choices of mages' abilities at the beginning. That's the bug I get:

Code: Select all

Text doesn't start on canvas.
Condition 'static cast<int>(x) < canvas->w && static_cast<int>(y) < canvas->h' failed at (...)/src/gui/widgets/canvas.cpp:863 in function 'draw' 
It may be also worth noticing that text on buttons (e.g. "OK") while choosing these abilities is green (don't know whether on purpose or not, but it doesn't look pretty, so probably not). This bug crashes Wesnoth engine somehow as well, because when after this crash I choose "Multiplayer" in main menu, half of the text there is green.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

karambol wrote:Hey!
I tried to get version 0.5.4 running on Wesnoth 1.5.9 (I'm using Ubuntu Linux) and I can't get past choices of mages' abilities at the beginning. That's the bug I get:

Text doesn't start on canvas.
Condition 'static cast<int>(x) < canvas->w && static_cast<int>(y) < canvas->h' failed at (...)/src/gui/widgets/canvas.cpp:863 in function 'draw' 
It may be also worth noticing that text on buttons (e.g. "OK") while choosing these abilities is green (don't know whether on purpose or not, but it doesn't look pretty, so probably not). This bug crashes Wesnoth engine somehow as well, because when after this crash I choose "Multiplayer" in main menu, half of the text there is green.
I noticed that crash myself too, something about the new dialogs I suppose. I don't know if there's any WML workaround for that, so I think we'll just have to wait for 1.5.10. :|
Nerelfe

Post by Nerelfe »

Can the XP gain be fixed so that all players share XP from kills, otherwise its always boring for someone in party, example:

4 guys set out on an adventure, one gets 3 lvlups one gets 1 lvlup other two dont get any lvls after hour or two of playing, the guys who lvl first get more moves, dmg, and lvl even faster then, which makes it rly boring for the other two guys that dont.

Otherwise this and other RPGs are fun to play (if u manage to lvl up before others :D ), with KSing all the time the fun is taken away thou.

Also im having trouble with really slow map loading when using Bobs RPG era, it takes like 3-5 min to load up for me, after that it works and loads turns in seconds?

If i set up a game using Bobs RPG era i get severe lag even before the game starts, when i choose a class it takes like 1.5 min before i can set anything else (cant even write in meantime)? Other players dont seem to have this problems.
Ektheleon

Post by Ektheleon »

I really enjoyed this, however, 3 problems came up.
1. When some plot events were activated, the red player would spontaneously appear elsewhere. The only specific example I can think of is going north from Kaspian. When the guy with the eggs showed up, we chose the option for leaving them alone, dialog showed up to the effect that they were going to leave, but instead they stayed where they were and the red player showed up in the den of thieves.

2. I am guessing, judging by the death speech of the sylph in the Elvish Palace, Pheros, (or whatever his name is) is supposed to start out petrified. Instead, he started out able to move, and as a result he kept dying.

3. In the Glimero Cavern, when one of the ghosts died, it would reappear with full health, and the red player would appear on the spot where the ghost started out.

The last one really ended the game, because nobody could get into the room. Up to that point, though, it was a really enjoyable campaign.

Edit: I'm playing on 1.6 with a Mac.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ektheleon wrote:I really enjoyed this, however, 3 problems came up.
1. When some plot events were activated, the red player would spontaneously appear elsewhere. The only specific example I can think of is going north from Kaspian. When the guy with the eggs showed up, we chose the option for leaving them alone, dialog showed up to the effect that they were going to leave, but instead they stayed where they were and the red player showed up in the den of thieves.
Ektheleon wrote:3. In the Glimero Cavern, when one of the ghosts died, it would reappear with full health, and the red player would appear on the spot where the ghost started out.
I think I've fixed those now. If you want to, I think I could fix your savefile if you'd post it, in case you'd want to still finish it.
Ektheleon wrote:2. I am guessing, judging by the death speech of the sylph in the Elvish Palace, Pheros, (or whatever his name is) is supposed to start out petrified. Instead, he started out able to move, and as a result he kept dying.
Fixed that one too.

Thanks for the reports! I've uploaded a new version with all the above fixes now:

Version 0.5.6

- Fixed the reanimate spell not working.
    - Fixed Paulos initially not being stoned.
    - Fixed a player unit sometimes getting teleported away after NPC encounters
      instead of the NPCs.
    - Fixed a player unit instead of the ghost getting teleported after killing
      one in the Glimero Caverns.
Ektheleon

Post by Ektheleon »

Thank you very much. There's one tiny problem, though. I have absolutely no idea where the savegames are kept. I could find them in Windows, but I'm clueless on a Mac.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ektheleon/Library/Preferences/Wesnoth_1.6/data/campaigns/

Obviously you replace your user name with whatever it actually is on your computer.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Ektheleon

Post by Ektheleon »

That would explain it. I looked up the info elsewhere, but I looked in the root library, instead of my own.

Never mind. I forgot to save at the end, so the most recent one we have is a good hundred turns back. Thanks anyway!
theruler

Post by theruler »

I don't know if it has been broght up before... but I think this new WML feature would be GREAT for project like yours:
* WML Engine:
* Increase the map size limit to 1000 by 1000

:geek:

Another thing, is there some contraindication to play the scenario with less than 4 players?
Last time I played BoL, I started a local multiplay, chosed 4 human players and used them as a D&D mage party. That was cool!
Great job Bob!
Chuck Norris' watch displays only an hour. Yours.
Ektheleon

Post by Ektheleon »

Don't think it makes a difference. My brothers and I played with three, and it went fine (until the bug described above) :)
theruler

Re: Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario (0.5.6)

Post by theruler »

Do you plan to extend the map to a size greater than 100x100?
Chuck Norris' watch displays only an hour. Yours.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

theruler wrote:Another thing, is there some contraindication to play the scenario with less than 4 players?
Not really. I'm sure it's possible to complete it with 2 players, maybe even 1, since then gold and experience are distributed across fewer players. Some parts will of course be harder with fewer players.
theruler wrote:Do you plan to extend the map to a size greater than 100x100?
Nope. I'm very unlikely to make big changes or additions to BoL anymore.
Ektheleon

Post by Ektheleon »

Two things: 1. It's rather difficult to get anywhere with Quaxoir and all with the ghosts still immortal, especially since they'll invariably level up rapidly with their obscenely tiny experience bar. Maybe make them killable after all four of the runes are activated?
2. Upon entering Quaxoir's chamber and attacking Ulton, the brother who attacks says "I cannot attack a brother!", and then promptly attacks. Are they hypocrites, or is this a bug?
Dark_Archer

Post by Dark_Archer »

Hi. Great scenario. I've been playing with my little brother and we're really enjoying it.

I'd just like to make a small bug report. We completed 90% of the map and had just cleared out the
Spoiler:
and got the items there, when an exact duplicate of my character (Red Player) appeared at 64,13
Spoiler:
When I tried to move it from that spot, another duplicate would respawn it its place. Reloading wouldn't even solve the problem.

It didn't crash the game or anything, so I just left the clones where they were and continued with the game, getting as far as the final battle without any problems. I read a few posts back that another guy had the same problem, only at a different event. Just thought I'd let you know.

Still, this is one of the best addons around. I'm a big fan of Wesball and Galactic Empires as well. So thanks a lot! Keep up the good work!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Dark_Archer wrote:I'd just like to make a small bug report. We completed 90% of the map and had just cleared out the
Spoiler:
and got the items there, when an exact duplicate of my character (Red Player) appeared at 64,13
Spoiler:
When I tried to move it from that spot, another duplicate would respawn it its place. Reloading wouldn't even solve the problem.

It didn't crash the game or anything, so I just left the clones where they were and continued with the game, getting as far as the final battle without any problems. I read a few posts back that another guy had the same problem, only at a different event. Just thought I'd let you know.
I can't really see why or how that could happen. You're using 1.6.x and the 0.5.6 version of BoL? Could you attach a savefile with which I could reproduce that clone-on-move bug?