Campaign challenges

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Re: Campaign challenges

Post by Wintermute »

something about playing a "challenge" on "easy" doesn't sit well with me... The very fact that you would even *think* about killing leaders on DD amuses me... try it again on hard. :wink:
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Wintermute wrote:something about playing a "challenge" on "easy" doesn't sit well with me... The very fact that you would even *think* about killing leaders on DD amuses me... try it again on hard. :wink:
:?

Hah, you can't ruin my victory! I still think I'm awesome! :lol2:

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

wait, people try to beat all the leaders on DD? O_O

I've never even bothered to try. :P
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

TheJM wrote:wait, people try to beat all the leaders on DD? O_O

I've never even bothered to try. :P
Piece of cake on easy, at least if you can live with losses.

Greetz
HomerJ
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I now completed what I first attempted over a year ago: TRoW (on hard, of course), recruiting only mages. I was a bit surprised at how not-incredibly-difficult the Great Continent part of the campaign was actually, it's probably due to the less aggressive AI and the new gold carryover system.

I didn't refrain from saveloading entirely, but I don't feel like I heavily abused it either. I didn't saveload the exact same situation in order to get better rolls, just several times loaded from the previous autosave when I lost someone particularly important and usually then tried to play the turn again better. So I'm sure it's a challenge that can be done even without any mid-scenario loading by a slightly more skilled player.

And actually it was the first time I've completed TRoW at all! Previously I've always stopped around The Vanguard, Return of the Fleet or The Dragon due to dropping to minimum gold and getting frustrated with that.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

nice work! Do you have some replays?

I've never gone all the way through TroW either, though I have tried it a few times, and gotten pretty far in 2 of them, there is always something crazy that happens - a new version makes me abandon it, or I lose a scenario and then abort the whole thing (for a while I was such a hardcore anti-saver that I would restart a campaign if I ever lost a scenario, but I don't have time for such things these days)... whatever. But now that I know it can be done with *mages*, I guess I better try again... :oops: :wink:
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
silent

Post by silent »

Even though it probably isn't very impressive, only on medium and very specific, I was proud of this

In the Rise of Wesnoth scenario, the troll hole, for no apparent reason, I recruited a peasant. About turn 18-22 of the level, I had advanced him to a halberdier.

Perhaps you could make challenges like that in particular points of the campaign. A worthy reward for the challenge too.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

These are some interesting ideas, but I'm afraid I'm not good enough a player to try taking on extra challenges yet. :wink:

I did try playing through Heir to the Throne, while not recruiting past the first scenario (can't remember weather I recalled units that I picked up in the later scenarios). I recruited two fighters, two shamans, and two archers, and made it as far as the Siege of Elensfara. I took out the orc leader I think, but the undead killed me. :(
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

zookeeper wrote:I now completed what I first attempted over a year ago: TRoW (on hard, of course), recruiting only mages. I was a bit surprised at how not-incredibly-difficult the Great Continent part of the campaign was actually, it's probably due to the less aggressive AI and the new gold carryover system.
Orly? Maybe I should re-try it then. I've never actually finished TRoW either - stopped on the 3rd or 2nd from last scenario, IIRC, just got frustrated with it and didn't keep the saves.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Win the Son of the Black Eye campaign recruiting wolves only.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The only scenario i'd see a massive problem with there would be a Clash of Armies, where trolls are pretty much a necessity to hold the bridge, and Coming Home, where you play in part as Gruu and can only recruit troll whelps. And woudl you allow recalls or not?

SotBE past scenario 2 only recuiting trolls could eb interesting...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

thespaceinvader wrote:SotBE past scenario 2 only recuiting trolls could eb interesting...
Uh-uh, I'll give that a try! On easy for starters to see if I leads somewhere... :lol2:

Greetz
HomerJ
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Well, honestly, I got killed on scenario1 3/3 times so far on the Wolves for Black-Eye challenge. It looks pretty tough, or at least very dependant on AI recruits. Two out of three times my enemy recruited mass cavalry with a few fencers for start (like 8 horses or so), then kept spamming spearmen. I was helpless. All those horses prevented me taking over the map, then the spearmen arrived just in time to consolidate his villages (and take my advance fort).

Seriously, I dont know how I should continue.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

I guess you could also consider it a challenge to play through NR loosing all your loyal units first time possible (mainly Krash and the Elvish druid will be a pain) although of course it should be possible to finish the campaign.
Spoiler:
Anyone already did that on nightmare?

Edit: Hm, I'm having trouble now, I won the first three scenarios but couldn't manage to level up Tallin. And now it's beginning of Pursuit and what do I get (auto recalls) to kill the two revenants to even get to my keep? Tallin (peasant), a thunderer not close to leveling and a lvl2 human archer. Great, so I guess thats it?

Edit2: After having to cheat because of the above issue, I got it to work smoothly. See my comments on bugs/issues with dialog here.

I've got the replays in a zip if anybody is interested. Interestingly, Showdown wasn't a problem at all, also Eastern Fortress was quite ok without drakes. You definitely need to shine on Infested Caves, if you cannot accumulate decent amount of gold your screwed.

Greetz
HomerJ
Attachments
Replays_Northern_Rebirth_Challenge.zip
All replays plus epiloge savegame.
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 559 times
scorchgeek

Post by scorchgeek »

silent wrote:Even though it probably isn't very impressive, only on medium and very specific, I was proud of this

In the Rise of Wesnoth scenario, the troll hole, for no apparent reason, I recruited a peasant. About turn 18-22 of the level, I had advanced him to a halberdier.

Perhaps you could make challenges like that in particular points of the campaign. A worthy reward for the challenge too.
How did you give him enough kills? Looks possible, but crazy. I'm assuming he was intelligent, which gives him -20% XP required to advance. I don't know which way the modifier rounds, and I don't have access to the game right now to check, but some basic calculations gives me 103-105XP required to do that.

This means 26 L0 kills (impossible), 13 L1 kills, and/or 7 L2 kills. Given how dangerous trolls can be, and how many powerful enemies there are in the scenario, that must have been one active (and lucky) peasant!
If 'con' is the opposite of 'pro', what is the opposite of progress?