Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Standing and idle animations?

Post by thespaceinvader »

bonehead11 wrote:I dont know if he should just simply jump back or he should do flip jump, so it would look nicer.
KISS. Keep it simple. Basically, all you're doing is trying to match the bowman's animation, but with the knife in the other hand. Don't try to add any big flashy stuff - it's much more difficult to animate, and it won't fit the unit anyway.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Okay here it is tadaa.Hope you like it.
Attachments
thiefattackanimationslow.gif
thiefattackanimationslow.gif (6.43 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I see no reason why he should be making a squat like that.
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Ok I made him do a longer jump, I think ill add some more frames,now it has 10 frames.
Attachments
thiefattackanimationslow.gif
thiefattackanimationslow.gif (6.45 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

You don't need to animate lateral movement. The game engine does that. And if you did this on a transparent background and included the shadow, it would be far clearer what is going on.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Ok I hope there wont be no more tweaking, I did shadows, white background and I put them in one place as it was mentioned wesnoth engine will do the work for me...so here it is.
Attachments
thiefanimationshadow.gif
thiefanimationshadow.gif (6.94 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ok, so...where are the .png's? :|
JW

Post by JW »

The jump doesn't look good. No better way to say it unfortunately.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I know you are hoping to be done, but as he draws his blade back over his shoulder, his left leg is clearly disconnected from his body. It lasts through frames 3 and 4.

The problem that JW is pointing out stems from the fact that he goes from leg out, blade extended right into being in the air in the next frame. There should probably be a frame of him preparing to jump or leaving the ground to convey some sense of him actually having jumped up.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

but as he draws his blade back over his shoulder, his left leg is clearly disconnected from his body. It lasts through frames 3 and 4.
Okay I repaired the disconected leg.
The problem that JW is pointing out stems from the fact that he goes from leg out, blade extended right into being in the air in the next frame. There should probably be a frame of him preparing to jump or leaving the ground to convey some sense of him actually having jumped up.
I wanted that, when he ends the attack he quickly jumps back so no time for a preparing for a jump a quick leap. If you dont want it that way then change it, im uploading .png , so do what you think is best, I hope mine work is done and I can start with orc xbowman death and attack animation, wich I didnt finished earlier.Cheers.
Attachments
Thiefzip.zip
(22.66 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

You've burned those to a white background. Better luck next time.
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

What? If its bad I have reserve frames.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

What Zookeeper means is that you need to have it on a transparant background rather than a white, currently the image will have a big white box round it in game.

I would also suggest having a look at TSI's aniamtions, you might be able to use some of it as reference.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

bonehead11 wrote:I wanted that, when he ends the attack he quickly jumps back so no time for a preparing for a jump a quick leap. If you dont want it that way then change it, im uploading .png , so do what you think is best, I hope mine work is done and I can start with orc xbowman death and attack animation, wich I didnt finished earlier.Cheers.
I do not know that this is the best attitude when working on animations, that feeling that you did as much as you think is good enough, so if anyone has any other points about it they can finish it. We are only trying to help you improve/complete the work.

As to the white backgrounds, if you do not have it saved transparent, you can always just spend time with an eraser.
Attachments
ThiefClean.gif
ThiefClean.gif (58.4 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Ok I made transparent backround, I hope its done.
I do not know that this is the best attitude when working on animations, that feeling that you did as much as you think is good enough, so if anyone has any other points about it they can finish it. We are only trying to help you improve/complete the work.
I think you misunderstood, I am just a little tired of remaking the same sprite 10 times over... I am very happy that people are helping me and making suggestions without them the animation would "suck", when I object, I try to implant mine own suggestion, I only want the best and thanks for the help. I hope I hope didnt offended you.
I wanted that, when he ends the attack he quickly jumps back so no time for a preparing for a jump a quick leap. If you dont want it that way then change it, im uploading .png , so do what you think is best, I hope mine work is done and I can start with orc xbowman death and attack animation, wich I didnt finished earlier.Cheers.
I think I wroted it too harsh. I meant that, if you want to implant the frame before jump, the landing can be used as preparing, when you will put it in game, if you will...
Thiefattackzip.zip
(23.97 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

EDIT: Ok now what... if its finished, than I can start working on xbowman death animation.
Preview coming soon.