Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Re: Dragon sprite

Post by Cernunnos »

The only bit of constructive criticism I can make is that, when rearing up to breathe fire, the dragon's front legs seem to shrink to about half their original size...
yes, really excellent animation, but the front legs look like T-rex ones, when it's standing on its rear legs...

Anyway, this pose is a good alternative to the "i always miss" attack you did before.

I hope you the best possible luck in your attempts to fix this, since it's really excellent/awesome/fantastic (choose your favorite answer) overall.

And last :
Sorry for not posting but I'm quite busy right now :( .
Don't be sorry, do what you can or want.

Good luck!! bye.
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

It looks amazing! Great concept. One thing that seems odd though is how long it stays standing up. It seems that as he leans his head in to breath the fire, the rest of his body should then come down, and it shouldn't wait for the head to come back up. Also wings flapping like already mentioned would be awesome. Good job!
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

Here's a litte update ( mmh.. maybe the arms still shrink to much ).
I currently reuse the images when the dragon comes back down to save frames ( the animation has 9 unique frames, with all directional attacks this will get really frame-heavy ).
Flapping wings would be great but then I have to add 4 more frames because it would look strange when they flap while the whole body comes down again.

The fire fx is just a placeholder ( in fact i just rescaled and rotated some frames from a slow motion explosion ).
Attachments
dragon_attack_test2.gif
dragon_attack_test2.gif (119.96 KiB) Viewed 6839 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

pixelmind wrote:I currently reuse the images when the dragon comes back down to save frames ( the animation has 9 unique frames, with all directional attacks this will get really frame-heavy ).
Note that most likely you only need another set of frames, facing northeast. This one works perfectly fine for all three south directions (maybe, if necessary, with a relatively simple turn of the head only for south), and another set should similarly be able to cover all three north directions.
Bad_Dog

Post by Bad_Dog »

Hopefully this is constructive; its arms and legs shrink as it rears up, the front arms/legs/whatever get much shorter and the hind legs somewhat shorter. Notice that the rear leg "knee" stays in the same place as the hip comes down, giving this impression. Thanks.

Ben

EDIT: Oops, already mentioned :oops: helps to read the whole thread... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Bad_Dog on February 3rd, 2009, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
JW

Post by JW »

Your skill is ridiculous. Sorry, had to say it.

/leaves thread
domingo

Post by domingo »

Fantastic! Personaly, I like how the dragon overtakes in size the hex!

The smoke is also a good idea (I think it will be better when the attacked will be in defence's position)...
SomeOneNamedMe

Post by SomeOneNamedMe »

I I would like to use this can you post the files, please notify me if you don't want me to. I will post any changes I make.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It will almost certainly be going into mainline when it's finished. Have patience, and you will be able to use it from there. Until then, please do not bug busy artists with requests which will be filled anyway in time.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

I'm still alive :)

Yeah... I'll post the pngs when I finished the animation.
Still not happy with it ( belly and wings need shading/texture ; left hand looks odd )

I started to work on the north-facing animation.... well ^^ ..... I suck when it comes to perspective.
Can someone please help me with this ? Are there any sprites of similar units facing NE I can use for reference ?

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

No, not really - north facing animations are few and far between at present. You might find some help from judicious googling, though - big cats and horses will provide some help, at least.

The south anim looks great, though =D
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I was starting to wonder if we lost you. ;)

Great work on the south animation, I cannot wait to see that in action in a campaign. The way he swells his chest up quickly as he draws his head back is a nice touch.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
SomeOneNamedMe

Post by SomeOneNamedMe »

For perspective, i dont know if this will help but you should pick up were you left off.
the wording is a bit tricky but I hope the attachment helps.

Srry attachment isn't working.

Since the torso in the front view ends at about two thirds the full width the torso in the back view should end at about one third the full width of the torso. use this throughout if you get it.

Hope this helps!
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

Done another quick perspective sketch:

Does this look better ?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

That looks great =)

I think you need to foreshorten the leg nearest us a little more though - it still looks a little like it's drawn from the side, rather than from a rear 3/4 view.