Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Max

Re: Deciduous trees

Post by Max »

that looks really great.

will these be tiles with a single tree each?

i always though that it would be really nice if wesnoth had some kind of deciduous forest. and thinner than the current (coniferous) one. maybe with some small bushes. but i guess that would also require transitions?
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

if beetlenaut were so kind as to post a .zip the base tree-frames people could make varying density "forests."
Just a thought. For example, I know there have been times that a single (not giant) tree would have been a cool addition to an area and it'd be nice to be able to have forests thin out before stopping rather than it always stopping abruptly.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I did say I was planning on making some forest tiles. I think we need straight deciduous forests, and some mixed forests. For each season. And some snowy ones. That will take a bit of work, but hey! There are people volunteering! To put anything together, you really need the original, layered file, so, I'm posting the GIMP xcf file. I'm not willing to do any more processing than that at the moment, but GIMP is free and works on any operating system.

Transitions are not a problem if the tiles are done as overlays on transparent backgrounds like the current forests.

If you make a forest tile or two (or all 24*), go ahead and post them in this thread.

*That includes three variations for each.
Attachments
deciduous trees.xcf.zip
(93.07 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi, really nice trees so far =),

Hmmm, would just like to add that some people on irc, thought that the tile being the same (it's to say with trees at the same place exactly) when doing variations (fall, winter, summer...), would be great for scenarii purposes.

Anyway very nice work so far.

Good luck, bye!
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
JW

Post by JW »

Darker_Dreams wrote:if beetlenaut were so kind as to post a .zip the base tree-frames people could make varying density "forests."
Just a thought. For example, I know there have been times that a single (not giant) tree would have been a cool addition to an area and it'd be nice to be able to have forests thin out before stopping rather than it always stopping abruptly.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Cernunnos wrote:the tile being the same (it's to say with trees at the same place exactly) when doing variations (fall, winter, summer...), would be great for scenarii purposes
I thought of that, and definitely want to do it. I hope that if the WML is written in exactly the same way for each season it will work like that. I'm going to draw them with the trees in the same places.
Darker Dreams wrote:it'd be nice to be able to have forests thin out before stopping rather than it always stopping abruptly.
Sounds good, but how badly do you want this? The WML should be pretty easy, so all you really need are more variations. Let's see...two thinning forests for each kind and season is 16 more tiles. And two more for the current forests. We just need to make 42 tiles instead of 24. I don't want this badly enough to make that many tiles (I haven't done one yet!), but you might.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

I've already played with it and was planning on doing some tiles when I'm done with what I'm working on now. That much I think I can do. :wink:
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I've made some tiles. There are two variations of a mixed conifer and deciduous forest. Each variation comes in three seasons: spring/summer, fall, and winter. I'm not sure how I should share these, but I made a "campaign":
Trees.zip
The trees "campaign" for the editor.
(118.73 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Unzip it in your "user-data/data/campaigns" folder, and run the map editor. The third "star" icon will select these trees, and allow you to put them on a map. This only works in 1.5, and you can't use the map without doing some extra work. Same bad news too: I put the trees in the same place in each variation, but the map editor sometimes chooses the first variation, and sometimes the second, even if you put them in the same place, and they're in the same order in the terrain-graphics file. That means you won't be able to change the season during a scenario without having the trees change position (unless someone tweaks the engine).

Tell me what you think about these. What should I do next? More variations of the mixed forest? Some pure deciduous forests? Snowy versions of these?
Attachments
One of the two variations through the seasons.
One of the two variations through the seasons.
mixed forest.jpg (11.05 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looking good =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Heck if your up to it a snowy version would be useful. Trees with no leaves can look like dead ones = perfect for undead bastions (I happen to have mapped such ones in snowy places). :P

You've made a very good job with these.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Beetlenaut is talking about creating lots of terrain tiles/hexes, but I thought you could just scatter tree icons randomly about the map, if you wanted to, and assuming the tree images had been provided in the right format. (i.e. just as you could scatter rocks, barrels, monoliths, storm tridents or whatever, if you wanted to). Will we be getting lots of new tiles out of this, or will we be getting tree icons that can be freely placed anywhere (and it's up to the scenario designer not to let them appear in silly places like floating in mid-air in chasms), or (joy!) will we be getting both freely-placable trees and new light forest tiles?

Edit: Another tree related idea: sick/elderly trees. i.e. green and healthy in some places, but leaves blackened, or otherwise discoloured or missing in others.

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

beetlenaut wrote:Tell me what you think about these. What should I do next? More variations of the mixed forest? Some pure deciduous forests? Snowy versions of these?
Well, frankly I'd like to see a pure deciduous forest first. I'm not sure how much need there'd be for both a pure and a mixed one, though, but I think we need to see both kinds first to get an idea of that.

P.S. Good work on making an add-on, that's exactly the best way of giving stuff like this out to people to test. ;)

EDIT: The only real problems I see with the current tiles is that those two tall deciduous ones (in both tiles) are firstly rather blurry in the summer variations, and have a somewhat monotonous colour in the fall variations.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Having a mixed forest makes it probably easier to understand that the different types of forests are in every gameplay aspect the same terrain.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Syntax_Error wrote:Having a mixed forest makes it probably easier to understand that the different types of forests are in every gameplay aspect the same terrain.
I think that deciduous forest in winter should not be an alias of the forest terrain.

Greetings, Fabi
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

fabi wrote:
Syntax_Error wrote:Having a mixed forest makes it probably easier to understand that the different types of forests are in every gameplay aspect the same terrain.
I think that deciduous forest in winter should not be an alias of the forest terrain.

Greetings, Fabi
It depends; if it's just "winter," ie what's drawn now (without snow), it should just be forest. If there's a version created that adds snow then that should be something other than straight forest alias.